Exporting Data From Garmin Gpsmap 60cx

I had been using a Garmin Etrex to take points. I would then use DNR Garmin ( a free program I found online from a university) to download the points and export them as a shapefile that I then use in Arcmap.

It doesn't work with my new reciever. Any ideas?

I could try to export the data as a table and create a shapefile to view in Arcmap but I was hoping someone might know of an interface between my new Garmin that would produce a shapefile.

I had been using a Garmin Etrex to take points. I would then use DNR Garmin ( a free program I found online from a university) to download the points and export them as a shapefile that I then use in Arcmap.

I could try to export the data as a table and create a shapefile to view in Arcmap but I was hoping someone might know of an interface between my new Garmin that would produce a shapefile.

You can use Mapsource or something like g7towin to download the data from your GPS. If neither of them outputs a file format that arcmap can read, you can try GPSBabel or this: http://happysquirrel.com/index.php?feature=waypttoesri to convert the gpx output to some other file format that it can.

See also http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=1149&t=190685&mc=6

Edited by kerecsen

Do you have the latest firmware? I have a 76CSx and it works fine with DNRGarmin to create shapefiles. I am creating shapefiles from tracks. The 60 & 76 should work the same.

Gave you bad info...be back.

Edited by stevesisti

Gave you bad info...be back.

MapEdit will directly import your GDB track file Although I haven't used this method myself yet..it looks like it will also export a shapefile. As mentioned earlier...if you liked the way to were doing things, DNR Garmin should work with the 60csx...I would investigate that approach

I wish ESRI would add support for GPX files. That would make things nice and easy. I asked if they were going to support GPX in the upcoming ArcGIS Explorer. I was told it was being discussed but I don't know what the final decision was.

By the way, I used GPX2SHP again last night for one of my eXplorist tracks and it worked fine. This was discussed in the topic linked by ergomaniac.

I use DNR almost every day with my 60C or 60Cx to export shapefiles. Since you were using your Etrex which uses a serial port previously, you need to change this in DNR when you first open the program. Go to: GPS/Set Port/USB. Then it will work just fine.