Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Traveling-Gnome

Translation

Hello! I am seeking assistance from my fellow geocachers who have special skills! I've been working on solving a series of puzzles to a certain cache but I'm stuck and can't go any farther on my own.

I'm not going to mention the cache name or the nature of the previous puzzles as not to compromise the integrity of the cache or piss off the cache-owner. :anicute:

What I have is a seven second .wav file of Morse Code, possibly American Morse Code, that I need to translate. Is anyone up to the challenge and willing to lend me a hand? I would be happy to e-mail the file to you so long as you don't post the results on the forum - again, I don't want to piss off the cache-owner.

Or does anyone have tips that might allow me to translate the darn thing? Thanks!

If you google up "morse code" and "translate", there's plenty of available software to do it. The software tends to be located in obscure places, however.

If you google up "morse code" and "translate", there's plenty of available software to do it. The software tends to be located in obscure places, however.

Thanks for the tip. I tried Google and I'm just not finding anything that can take the .wav and translate it to a text file. There is plenty of stuff that goes the other way. Oh well, I'll just keep looking.

Thanks for the tip. I tried Google and I'm just not finding anything that can take the .wav and translate it to a text file. There is plenty of stuff that goes the other way. Oh well, I'll just keep looking.

Try this:

http://www.archive.org/details/tucows_2509...t_morse_decoder

Try this:

http://www.archive.org/details/tucows_2509...t_morse_decoder

Thanks again! I checked it out and ran the file through it - all I got out was garbage. :laughing: I guess I'll have to keep playing around with it and see what happens!

Thanks again! I checked it out and ran the file through it - all I got out was garbage. :laughing: I guess I'll have to keep playing around with it and see what happens!

You have to make adjustments on the console of that software. It's easy to explain if you were right beside me, but it's hard to type, but I'll try.

Start up the software, you should get a console with three fields. The upper field is a frequency bar. There is a red line in it. Play the wave file (I just used media player) and see where the sound is on the bar. Drag the vertical red line to the middle of its frequency (you'll see the freq breakdown of the sound being played).

Once that is adjusted you should be getting a mess at the bottom field, which is an input graph. Play the wave file again and drag the horizontal red line down so it clips the top of the sounds you want to count as morse code. Those sounds should look like large peaks. You want the red line close to the top of those peaks, but not so far up that it misses them.

Then clear the buffer from the pull-down menus and play the file and it should work.

Alternately, you can send me the file and I can see what I can do with it. (yet.another.squid@gmail.com)

You have to make adjustments on the console of that software. It's easy to explain if you were right beside me, but it's hard to type, but I'll try.

Start up the software, you should get a console with three fields. The upper field is a frequency bar. There is a red line in it. Play the wave file (I just used media player) and see where the sound is on the bar. Drag the vertical red line to the middle of its frequency (you'll see the freq breakdown of the sound being played).

Once that is adjusted you should be getting a mess at the bottom field, which is an input graph. Play the wave file again and drag the horizontal red line down so it clips the top of the sounds you want to count as morse code. Those sounds should look like large peaks. You want the red line close to the top of those peaks, but not so far up that it misses them.

Then clear the buffer from the pull-down menus and play the file and it should work.

Alternately, you can send me the file and I can see what I can do with it. (yet.another.squid@gmail.com)

Thanks, I just sent you an e-mail!

Just for anyone else who is following it, there is a trick to translating the file. I'm not sure I want to give it away so I don't spoil the puzzle, but it will decode with CWGet or using the Mark-I Ear hardware, but you will have to work on the file to make it decode in CWGet, and probably with the Mark-I Ear as well.

Just for anyone else who is following it, there is a trick to translating the file. I'm not sure I want to give it away so I don't spoil the puzzle, but it will decode with CWGet or using the Mark-I Ear hardware, but you will have to work on the file to make it decode in CWGet, and probably with the Mark-I Ear as well.

Can't you just listen to it and figure out what it says? :laughing:

-Marky

-Marky

No. It's morse code at about 100 WPM, so it sounds like a data burst.

-Marky

No. It's morse code at about 100 WPM, so it sounds like a data burst.

Hey geoSquid, thanks for all your help!