Upcoming Problem For Geocaching?

I have had a buzzing in the back of my brain for a little while lately, Something that could cause a major (hopefully not) problem for geocaching.

To me, it looks like we are running out of letters! We are currently up to GCW--- which only leaves X, Y, and Z, and then what? do we add an extra number/letter on the end? Don't some gps's only allow 6 letters/numbers for the database entries, This could be a problem as epic as the Y2K bug! (ok, so thats a bit over the top)

What are the plans for when we get up to GCZZZZ?

180px-On_Beyond_Zebra.jpg

So, on beyond Zebra!

Explore!

Like Columbus!

Discover new letters!

Like WUM is for Wumbus,

My high-spouting whale who lives high on a hill

And who never comes down 'til it's time to refill.

So, on beyond Z! It's high time you were shown

That you really don't know all there is to be known.

See the discussion of this question last month, including links back to the answer. In summary, an extra digit will be added, so we will go from GCZZZZ to GC10000. If you have an old GPS that can only handle six-digit waypoint names, it is extremely easy to strip out the "GC" in a batch process utilizing free third-party software.

Sooooooo...what about the new keyboard I ordered with all the new letters on it??? :anicute:

Bret

See the discussion of this question last month, including links back to the answer. In summary, an extra digit will be added, so we will go from GCZZZZ to GC10000. If you have an old GPS that can only handle six-digit waypoint names, it is extremely easy to strip out the "GC" in a batch process utilizing free third-party software.

Sooooooo...what about the new keyboard I ordered with all the new letters on it??? :anicute:

Bret

I know you kept your receipt, right? I know you did. Surely. Yep, I'm calling you Surely, Shirley.

I'll take October 4 in the pool please.

Sooooooo...what about the new keyboard I ordered with all the new letters on it??? :)

Bret

Youzze can alwayzze uzzze it to create zum beautiful muuuzzzikk. :anicute::grin: