Why Turn Off Waas

The Garmin battery save mode works by not having the GPS receiver chip running every second. It will take a break for 2-3 seconds, then do a reading, and so on.

Since to have WAAS working, it's essential that you listen every second, these modes aren't compatible with each other. This has nothing to do with Garmin, since it will affect every receiver, which tries to lower the power consumption by reducing the sampling rate to anything less than once per second.

As said above, old units were impaired in performance by the additional CPU cycles used for WAAS decoding. Today, you'll not notice. These extra CPU cycles also cost more energy than holding the CPU idle.

My experience with my old Vista is that Egnos has reduced the wandering of the position, as it's reported when the GPS is steady at the same position. If the position coordinates themselves are better or not can't be determined without something to compare them to.

I just got this DVD and watched it the other night. One of the first things it said to do was to turn off WAAS, no if's, and's or but's. http://www.nohvcc.org/IMAGES/prgps.asp

Comments?

AR-15

Does the DVD explain why?

There's enough conflicting information that the best thing to do is to research the information yourself. Apologies to fizzymagic and EraSeek, but "you can WAAS the way you want to." :blink:

Some other people and myself have posted some comments in this forum regarding WAAS. I have a 76CSx. Up until the last firmware/software update, WAAS generally degraded my reading. With WASS on, my compass and LAT/LON would jump around. I did notice that this would happen with the slightest bit of cover over my head or around me. Since the last update, WAAS seems to work as it should. So I leave it on. Another point: If I travel to another part of the world where I cannot get a WAAS satellite, then it would serve no purpose to leave it on.

Some other people and myself have posted some comments in this forum regarding WAAS. I have a 76CSx. Up until the last firmware/software update, WAAS generally degraded my reading. With WASS on, my compass and LAT/LON would jump around. I did notice that this would happen with the slightest bit of cover over my head or around me. Since the last update, WAAS seems to work as it should. So I leave it on. Another point: If I travel to another part of the world where I cannot get a WAAS satellite, then it would serve no purpose to leave it on.

When I went to Japan last year, I left WAAS on as a curiosity even though I did not know that #42 was available there. Pleasant surprise! I leave it on if there are any doubts, because the savings in battery life is negligible for me unless I decide to use Battery Saver Mode.

Seems like the Garmins, when you turn offf waas, the firmware runs a little more stable, and fewer hiccups, like my Map60Cx, does drop out occationally loosing signal for a moment then comes back, but when I turn off waas and turn down tracking to normal, it runs just about perfect. The best Magellan I ever had was the Meridian Platinum, and after I had it for awhile, I always turned off waas, and it ran with almost no hiccups, and no rubberbanding that I knew of, and the electronic compass was almost perfect. I just have this habbit of wanting to lessen the workload of the processor, to reduce the number of hiccups of the firmware.

When I went to Japan last year, I left WAAS on as a curiosity even though I did not know that #42 was available there. Pleasant surprise! I leave it on if there are any doubts, because the savings in battery life is negligible for me unless I decide to use Battery Saver Mode.

Just curious. Do they have ground stations outside the US sending correction data? If not, wouldn't you be correcting in Japan for atmospheric differences in the US?

Just curious. Do they have ground stations outside the US sending correction data? If not, wouldn't you be correcting in Japan for atmospheric differences in the US?

In Europe (well the UK at least I assume it's the same for other countries) we have EGNOS.

My assumption is that there are, since it's part of the MSAS system (satellites #42 and #50), like EGNOS in Europe.

Very easy to find this information on Google, and it's even in English!

Air Traffic Control Services in Japan (MTSAT)

Scroll down a few pages on information specific to MSAS.

My assumption is that there are, since it's part of the MSAS system (satellites #42 and #50), like EGNOS in Europe.

Very easy to find this information on Google, and it's even in English!

Air Traffic Control Services in Japan (MTSAT)

Scroll down a few pages on information specific to MSAS.

Thanks, I searched and this one is good too. http://www.environmental-studies.de/Precis...WAAS__E/3E.html