Garmin Software

I'd like to get the Garmin Topo maps of the UK

and City Navigator but they're devilishly expensive.

Does anyone know where either of these can be bought cheaper? :anicute:

I have no comments about the topo software but can bore for Britain about City Navigator software....

Garmin City Navigator Europe (CN) is only supplied with hardware sold in Europe. Similarly, CN USA is only supplied with hardware in the US and so on.

We can buy CN USA here along with any other CN version (other than Europe) - it is very expensive but Garmin will sell the software separately to add to your local CN software provided with your hardware. This is called marketing!

Without being unlocked the software will not autoroute and does not display fully on some units.

CN software must be unlocked to the internal serial number of the unit you intend to use it with. Garmin will allow you to unlock the software to two different Garmin units - I have my CN Europe V8 unlocked to work with a Streetpilot 2610 (that came with CN) and a Vista Cx handheld unit.

...so avoid buying City Navigator unless you get it with unused codes or get the hardware with it - and if you buy hardware with CN, make sure you have the second unlock available with the software.

Don't know if you aware but you can get a similar product to the TOPO product (that covers Ireland Too!) for FREE (legally)! [Edit: Well OK you only get the peaks/contours not the road mapping, POIS etc, but you get them in the navigator etc products anyway]

Edited by barryhunter

Re; Garmin TOPO

Is this too good to be true?

Looks good - the normal signs of 'dodgyness' are not there

OK - You buy one first and let me know if it works. :laughing: He has 93 apparently!

Ah, missed that bit

Ignore everything I say....

Hehe, look at his recent transactions:

- jiffy bags

- CD labels

- CD sleeves

Re; Garmin TOPO

OK - You buy one first and let me know if it works. :anicute: He has 93 apparently!

Ah, missed that bit

- jiffy bags

- CD labels

- CD sleeves

Sounds old fashioned but the saying "if it seems too good to be true it probably is" may apply here :laughing:

As the photo on Ebay looks like genuine Garmin stuff, I sent the vender an email asking if it actually was genuine Garmin complete with unlock codes.... Never got a reply!!

Ditto

He's certainly making a packet out these at that price if they are copies!

edit

that's 32 copies sold at £50 = £1600 and that does not include his OTT P&P at £10 :)

Edited by Phillimore Clan

As the photo on Ebay looks like genuine Garmin stuff, I sent the vender an email asking if it actually was genuine Garmin complete with unlock codes.... Never got a reply!!

Ditto!

There are going to be a lot, no - 32 sets, of disappointed people when they try to use their "new" software and find they need codes to unlock the software...

Re; Garmin TOPO

OK - You buy one first and let me know if it works. :huh: He has 93 apparently!

Ah, missed that bit

- jiffy bags

- CD labels

- CD sleeves

Sounds old fashioned but the saying "if it seems too good to be true it probably is" may apply here :huh:

"if it seems too good to be true it probably is"

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I was clearing out my ebay watchlist and took another look at this - great feedback :)Here

Even the guy who said not original, but OK soon changed his mind. Oo er

I've been watching it too. The seller is no longer registered with ebay. :-)

I've also forwarded the link to Gamin, just in case they are interested too.

My first post. Rather pleased that this thread was "reopened" as it gives the opportunity to sort of re-ask the first question.

Is there a UK source from which you can purchase City Navigator Europe V8, or is it simply you have to buy for the US (and take you chance that it comes with unused unlock codes)? If the latter any recommendations?

Also would appreciate thoughts on whether City Navigator the right way to go anyway? As I understand it City Navigator gives you essentially the whole of Europe with road autorouting. Topo GB gives the same road autorouting but for the UK only, and provides OS info/contours on top (although paths and similar are not that complete cf os maps!).

Full Euro autorouting would be a very nice to have but not essential. If I am therefore starting from stratch (as I am) should I just go for the TOPO GB mapping?

Simply confused...

Happy Ferreters

City Navigator Europe software is not available as a standalone product in Europe, CN USA is not available over there - it is only available supplied with hardware. The Americans can buy CN Europe and we can buy CN USA over here. This is called marketing - and it's very expensive to boot!

I have a SP 2160 with CN 8 Europe. I have used the second "unlock" available with this software to enable it to work with my Vista Cx. This give me full auto-routing with the Vista Cx on our pushbikes.

While the Vista is excellent at directing the car about (I use it when I am away on business leaving the 2610 behind for Sue), but it is pretty dire on the bike. Selecting "Bicycle" and "Shortest route" in the settings appear to have no influence on the way the unit does its stuff. The Vista will still try to send you round the map, 3-sides-of-a-square or 2-sides-of-a-triangle to get you back to a major road. I have sent an email and diagram of the track from our recent 50 mile bike cycle. Straighest point between two waypoints on the Vista is a bloody long way off the optimum - even after I twigged and started to cut corners across the map.

Also would appreciate thoughts on whether City Navigator the right way to go anyway? As I understand it City Navigator gives you essentially the whole of Europe with road autorouting. Topo GB gives the same road autorouting but for the UK only, and provides OS info/contours on top (although paths and similar are not that complete cf os maps!).

Note, you don't need CN in order to auto-route. The cheaper and more easily available Metroguide Europe (which doesn't need unlock codes) will do it just fine if you use third party software (e.g. IMG2GPS) to transfer the maps. You can get contours and other stuff free too - check out some of the previous threads on the subject...

Bambi.

Edit: Speelung

Edited by Bambi&Thumper

Note, you don't need CN in order to auto-route. The cheaper and more easily available Metroguide Europe (which doesn't need unlock codes) will do it just fine if you use third party software (e.g. IMG2GPS) to transfer the maps. You can get contours and other stuff free too - check out some of the previous threads on the subject...

Bambi.

Metroguide seems to work ok, but you will find the search function a bit of a hit and miss.

Bambi.

Metroguide seems to work ok, but you will find the search function a bit of a hit and miss.

Try the wizzard on this site ..it indexes the the maps to give you search facilities..... http://www.geodude.nl/gps/index.php

Dave

Edited by oddsock

Have you tried this ?

Looks like it uses sendmap, just the same as img2gps.

Routing is fine on my 60csx its the search function thats hit and miss.

Yes! I have tried this and it does use the latest version of sendmap .what is good is that is competly automates the process of loading both the Metroguide maps with autorouting and it indexes them for the address search .The instructions and software are simple to use as they give links to switch between the wizard and MetroGuide....its superb!!

Dave

Edit: I use this on my gpsmap 60c with MG Europe V7 because the maptiles on my CN v8 are too large ....I made the mistake of upgrading my Quest from CS v6 to CN v8 before I had used the second unlock code on the 60c which meant I could only use CN v8 on it .....I contacted Garmin explaining my mistake and they refused to give me a code for CS V6 ( Garmin give no warning that this will happen) ...So be warned ..If you want to use both versions on two units make sure you unlock both before upgrading.

Dave

Edited by oddsock