Cell Phone Websites

BornAdventures

Hi All!

I just found some great sites to use on your cell phone that will help with Geocaching.

The official wap site for GC.com is wap.geocaching.com, you can view caches & log your visit at a cache while on locaction.

Another site is www.geocaching.com/wap which just allows you to view caches, but loads a bit faster than wap.geocaching.com

Also google earth is now available for cell phones, you can download the application (+/- 100kb) at www.google.com/gmm, its free and very cool as you can see your exact location of where you're standing on your phone. Ive got a samsung and it works perfectly, so it should work on most phones.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Team TGF

How does this work? I mean, I guess Google Maps works in SA now. How long does it take to download the maps? Do you get road data? Aerial images? Both? :rolleyes:

How much data usage does it use, ie: PRICE!

I use a recycled phone that's the laughing stock of many conversations.

It was free with no contracts though! :unsure: Very 2000ish....

How does this work? I mean, I guess Google Maps works in SA now. How long does it take to download the maps? Do you get road data? Aerial images? Both? :rolleyes:

How much data usage does it use, ie: PRICE!

Both, but on the maps for SA there's pretty much nada. Satellite images mainly.

Clunky as one doesn't seem to be able to search by coordinate. I wonder whether GPS enabled phones will automatically zoom to ones location??? :unsure:

PRICE: It chews data quickly, so expect to run up a nice bill. Each Zoom takes on average 300kb which pretty much equates to 30 cents a click. As the search funtion is limited, you could take a long time and plenty of clicks to zoom into that cache location.

I found it to be pretty quick.

The coverage is the same as the pc version of google earth (No mapping, only satellite images)

The map takes about 10seconds to load, but Im sure that it depends on your phone model.

You can search by coordinate if you go to search for location and put the coords in instead of an address (eg. S26 xx.xxx E28 xx.xxx), and then zoom right in before it has a time to load, that way you can see where you are in just one click.

Im just using it occasionally as Im not sure of the price yet. Ill tell you when I get my phone bill.

TeamTGF

Edited by TeamTGF

You can search by coordinate if you go to search for location and put the coords in instead of an address (eg. S26 xx.xxx E28 xx.xxx), and then zoom right in before it has a time to load, that way you can see where you are in just one click.

Thanks TGF, thought about it but hadn't tried it.

Im just using it occasionally as Im not sure of the price yet. Ill tell you when I get my phone bill.

Depends on your package and whether one has purchased a GPRS pack. Either way, it roughly works out at R1/Mb. You don't pay for connection time, it is based on data traffic.

The geocacing WAP pages are fantastic, I was wondering if they had WAP pages, clearly they do! I have been using my phone (Blackberry 8700) with Opera mini (if you have a data capable phone, get it now!) loading HTML pages, this will cut down data costs substantially and will be a lot quicker no doubt. THANKS FOR THIS ONE!!

I have tried google earth for cell phones without much success though. I don't think it is really worth it either.