New Gps Smartphone

I have just started Geocaching and I got a Lowrance iFinderGo on ebay for $50 shipped, but I have seen that there is a new, Linux-based smartphone that just came out that also has a GPS module. The company that put it out is called ImCoSys and you can find more info out at this website (translation courtousy of Google) I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about this unit. It seems like a nice little thing and I'd like to hear more about it.

I found out more about the GPS module that comes in this phone for anyone else who may be interested. It turns out it's a SiRFIII GPS unit. Some specs on this module...

Channels: 20 channel all-in-view tracking

Sensitivity: -159 dBm

Position: 10 meters, 2D RMS / 5 meters, 2D RMS, WAAS enabled

Datum: WGS84

Hot start: 8 sec., average

Warm start: 38 sec., average

Cold start: 42 sec., average

Reacquisition: 0.1 sec., average

Output message: SiRF binary or NMEA 0183 GGA, GSA, GSV, RMC, VTG, GLL

:laughing: So I guess it's not that great as a GPS, but it has a lot of other features that make it pretty cool... Depends on what you're willing to sacrifice I guess.
So I guess it's not that great as a GPS, but it has a lot of other features that make it pretty cool... Depends on what you're willing to sacrifice I guess.

The SiRF Star III chipset is one of the best out there... may would argue it is the best consumer GPS chipset available. It is also the chipset that powers the Garmin 60CSx which everyone here (rightfully) raves about how great the reception is.

The SiRF Star III chipset is one of the best out there... may would argue it is the best consumer GPS chipset available.

REALLY! That's good news! But what does it mean when the specs for the module say that it's accuracy is either 10m or 5 m, but the specs for my iFinder says it's accurate to 3m? Are they talking about different things? :grin: Sorry if these are stupid questions but I just started playing with GPS and I still have a lot to learn!

@planewood

This phone does play MP3's but doesn't have a camera, they say theydesigned it on purpose that way so that it could be used in areas that wouldn't allow cameras, but it does have an SDK and WiFi, so if you are software inclined you should be able to whip up something that does what you want in pretty short order.

Edited by TheBeast
But what does it mean when the specs for the module say that it's accuracy is either 10m or 5 m, but the specs for my iFinder says it's accurate to 3m? Are they talking about different things?

It is either a typo on one of the specs or one company was being more conservative with the specifications. Since they both use the same chipset they will have the same accuracy.

Both the iFinder Go and iFinder Go2 have a 16 channel receiver (I couldn't quickly find which chipset) but the SiRF Star III is a 20 channel receiver so it will have slightly better accuracy and much faster acquisition time than whatever 16 channel receiver is being used in the iFinder.

..."phone guy" at the store where she got the phone he said it is a $10 per month charge to use that function.
That doesn't make any sense! It doens't cost anything to use a normal GPS! It's probably a feature that they turn on and mark your account $10 a month, but I bet you could figure out how to turn it on if you searched around the internet. Well the phone is not going to come from a store here, it's going to come from the maufacturer, so there should be any such issues!

Just remember though when it comes to phones not all GPS systems are created equal. A few phones have "real" GPS systems while others use a combination of GPS like technology along with information like what cell towers you are connecting to in order to determine location.

The $10/month charges are for the software you download to your phone and for the technical infrastructure beyond the traditional gps system necessary to pinpoint your location without "real" GPS in the phone. So the $10/month charge is valid since it isn't "normal GPS". I've never had as good of results from those systems though...