The Secret Lives Of Cache Reviewers

First let me say that the cache reviewer in my area is great! I think it is awesome that all of the reviewers put in so much of their own time as volunteers to make this activity as great as it is. I often wonder, just out of amusement, how secret is the secret idenitity of the cache reviwers? I figured out shortly after starting in the sport that the cache reviewers use a different name for their reviewing and caching accounts. So how closely do they guard their secret? Are we talking a Super Man/ Clark Kent kind of thing? :rolleyes: Also what is the general policy on reviewers finding caches. I know they do of course! But I was thinking, I always see people begging to be a cache reviewer in the forums. But doesn't that take some of the fun out of caches? I mean the reviewers would already know the final location for puzzle caches, multi's, etc! I guess that makes the work they do even more noteworthy!

First let me say that the cache reviewer in my area is great! I think it is awesome that all of the reviewers put in so much of their own time as volunteers to make this activity as great as it is. I often wonder, just out of amusement, how secret is the secret idenitity of the cache reviwers? I figured out shortly after starting in the sport that the cache reviewers use a different name for their reviewing and caching accounts. So how closely do they guard their secret? Are we talking a Super Man/ Clark Kent kind of thing? :unsure: Also what is the general policy on reviewers finding caches. I know they do of course! But I was thinking, I always see people begging to be a cache reviewer in the forums. But doesn't that take some of the fun out of caches? I mean the reviewers would already know the final location for puzzle caches, multi's, etc! I guess that makes the work they do even more noteworthy!

Our cache reviewer's identity is no secret at all, he regularly attends events locally even though it is a drive across the state (about 4 hrs) for him to do so. Always a pleasure to see him (at least I think it is him :rolleyes: ).

Well, I'm not a reviewer, but I have heard some saying they pass off local puzzle caches to other reviewers, so that they DON'T already know the answer and can enjoy doing the puzzle just like any other local cacher would. I don't know if any do the same for multicaches or not.

I also know some have tried to keep their real identity secret, some have given up and went public, and others chose "reviewer names" that were very similar to their regular account names, not even attempting to hide their real identity.

The truth about reviewers identities may be difficult to accept...but here it is...

There is only 1 reviewer.

He sits at a desk in a dimly lit office in Seattle, his leg chained to his chair. Jeremy (AKA Bryan, Raine, Heidi etc etc) occasionally brings him a bowl of cold porridge (if his backlog isn't too deep). He is forced to use a variety of identities by his master in order to keep up the charade.

On the rare occasion that he is current with all the newly submitted caches, Jeremy (if thats his real name) allows him to actually go out and find a few caches. He's usually so excited to be out caching that he rips off his clothes and runs nilly willy down the trail looking for the cache. Like bigfoot, he's rarely seen in the wild, but I did manage to capture this photo of him.

*WARNING* This photo is not for the meek or small children.

http://img.geocaching.com/user/379428fa-b0...4e6f0389c87.jpg

The truth about reviewers identities may be difficult to accept...but here it is...

There is only 1 reviewer.

He sits at a desk in a dimly lit office in Seattle, his leg chained to his chair. Jeremy (AKA Bryan, Raine, Heidi etc etc) occasionally brings him a bowl of cold porridge (if his backlog isn't too deep). He is forced to use a variety of identities by his master in order to keep up the charade.

On the rare occasion that he is current with all the newly submitted caches, Jeremy (if thats his real name) allows him to actually go out and find a few caches. He's usually so excited to be out caching that he rips off his clothes and runs nilly willy down the trail looking for the cache. Like bigfoot, he's rarely seen in the wild, but I did manage to capture this photo of him.

Actually, I am sitting on my couch in Atlanta. It is dimly lit, but only because I am watching Letterman and the puppymonster is asleep on the floor. He is done with cache review for the night.

Of course, now that you have my picture, I will have to hunt you down and kill you. sekret.gif

ronpopeil.jpg3_600.jpg

I have just discovered the biggest conspiracy ever

Ron -V- Jeremy :anicute: hmm, hmm think about it, hmm, hmm :grin:

a little instant hair in a can and shazam

I have my ideas about some VCR's but it is really nothing special other than a "work" account. They are just like you and me - some have specific skills, some have none but it really does not matter to me

I have always assumed that the reviewers have the integrity to not take unfair advantage of their 'special' knowledge. :):D:huh:

Oh darn, you caught me. I'll admit to using my super powers to find puzzle caches in 57 states so far. :anicute:

How long until winter? I think I need to hibernate for awhile. :grin:

Seriously though, if I was cheating I don't think I would have such a big list of puzzles caches around my cave that I haven't found yet. :)

Living in Washington, DC, and caching regularly in DC, Maryland and Virginia, I've gotten to see the full range of secret reviewer identities. mtn-man reviews DC caches, and well, he uses a single account for everything, so no secrets there. DotPlotter reviews VA caches (coincidentally the OP's home state too), and spoke in his official capacity at the recent Richmond Rally III event, so his identity isn't a huge secret at this point, although I'm sure he appreciates some discretion in folks revealing him. Quiggle reviews Maryland caches, and from what I can tell, tries to maintain a somewhat lower public profile (although the rumors abound!), but maybe that is just my perception as a relative outsider among MGS activities!

One of my (newer) local reviewers had a "ringbone" moment on a local geocaching forum. Oops

Not sure if anyonre esle caught it, but I did :anicute:

Ed

I pasted the contents of an archive log into ClayJar's weekly IRC chatroom. Two different times. Oops. Shortly after that, I stopped going to the chatroom!

It is awfully hard to maintain your anonymity. Many of us choose to do so initially until we learn the ropes and become comfortable with the new job. Eventually we quit trying to hide our secret alter ego identities. This removes the pressure of making sure you don't slip up by doing something under the wrong account, etc. -- it is quite challenging. But instead, you trade that for the pressures of dealing with people on the trail, at event caches, in the forums, etc., who want to talk with the volunteer in their official capacity. Sometimes we like just being able to go find geocaches and have fun like everyone else.

Living in Washington, DC, and caching regularly in DC, Maryland and Virginia, I've gotten to see the full range of secret reviewer identities. mtn-man reviews DC caches, and well, he uses a single account for everything, so no secrets there.

Maybe... :anicute:

Amazingly, part of my post above has been overlooking in this topic.

Actually, I am sitting on my couch in Atlanta. It is dimly lit, but only because I am watching Letterman and the puppymonster is asleep on the floor. He is done with cache review for the night.

I pasted the contents of an archive log into ClayJar's weekly IRC chatroom. Two different times.

I think I still have spewed Coca-Cola on my monitor and keyboard after busting out laughing each time too. :grin:

I pasted the contents of an archive log into ClayJar's weekly IRC chatroom. Two different times.

I think I still have spewed Coca-Cola on my monitor and keyboard after busting out laughing each time too. :anicute:

Ha ha. You are such a bu... oh wait, Hydee made you give up that sock puppet, didn't she? :grin: