I Want To Find A Benchmark!

Sneakypete00

Start out by looking for marks that someone else has found, so you can get used to the terminology and typical situations. Not too far away are

OF0902 and OF0864 which have been recently found.

I see at least one of the marks you mentioned is along a RR. Those locations require the greatest attention to safety as trains DO sneak up on people, and in some parts of the country or on some lines, their security is pretty tough so you want to avoid them.

Be sure to pay attention to what kind of horizontal coordinates it has. Location ADJUSTED means you can test your GPS against it. Location SCALED means that the coordinates will usually get you into the right neighborhood, but after that you need to go just by the description.

Good luck.

What does it mean when it says, (MONUMENTED)?

I went looking for these ones:

OF0816

OF0817

OF0815

The following links are for the current NGS Data Sheet for each mark. In general, to find the current Data Sheet, go to this link for NGS PIDS Form and enter the PID's for the stations you are looking for. I find that having the most current NGS Data Sheet is helpful in finding the marks.

OF0815 was found by the Power Squadron on May, 6, 2006

At the location of OF0816, the report from that date is that evidence was found of a destroyed headwall. Since there was no evidence of the disk, it is officially "Not Found."

OF0817 was also found on the same date.

Those that were found in May should be easy enough to find if you use your GPS receiver to get to the vicinity and use the description to find the disk.

Good Luck!

The train that does run on this track only does on special occasions, like a "Train ride with Santa". So I'm not too worried about meeting one on the track, which is in pretty rough shape as it is.

Lots of helpful replies here, thank you.

I did find A cement culvert that I could walk through. Actually, I don't know if they consider it a bridge or a culvert. I have a feeling I should read the updated data sheets and wait till fall when all the veg has died off so that things are more visable.