60csx Autorouting Experts Needed

Hi all. I'm new to the use of autorouting on my CSx, having just installed 956Mb of CN v.8 maps on my 1Gb SD card. The autorouting seems to work pretty well from what I've tried so far, but heading off from home in a different direction the than usual yestereday the GPS routed me out of our sub via an unmaintained -single lane- dirt road (shown on CN v.8 as a dotted line). Not my first choice for exiting our sub.

I've been messing around with the GPS trying to discover if there is a way to insert a via point into GPS calculated routes to avoid such things. Yes, I know to avoid this particular situation I could tell it to avoid unpaved roads, but inserting a via is what I'd really like to be able to do. So far I've been unable to discover a way to do this. Is there a way? I'm almost afraid of what the answer is...

Thanks.

I've very surprised it routed you on a dotted line road!!! Dotted lines mean gravel I think to the gps.

there is no way to put in a via point (as there was in the gps v I had). Hope they add this at some time as I do miss it also.

Hi,

I don't know if I can answer your specific question but I just noticed the other day you can select a region/road to avoid in the preferences/routing/advanced.

Hi,

I don't know if I can answer your specific question but I just noticed the other day you can select a region/road to avoid in the preferences/routing/advanced.

That's in Mapsource, would those settings transfer from PC to GPSr? I didn't think they did...

That's in Mapsource, would those settings transfer from PC to GPSr? I didn't think they did...

No, you set the routing preferences within your 60CSx. As autox-racer mentioned there are options to avoid toll roads, or one-way streets, etc (don't have my Cx in hand to see exactly the choices) under Routes on the main menu page. You can also set routing for a truck, bicycle, motorcycle, etc.

No, you set the routing preferences within your 60CSx. As autox-racer mentioned there are options to avoid toll roads, or one-way streets, etc (don't have my Cx in hand to see exactly the choices) under Routes on the main menu page. You can also set routing for a truck, bicycle, motorcycle, etc.

You can also set it for Quickest calculation, Quick calculation, Better route or Best route.

Default is Better route.

Hi,

no they're not - but they should be!

I've even complained to garmin tech support about this as it's not, IMHO, compliant with the manual :rolleyes:

If the 60Csx is like the VistaC, you can add via points to a route on the unit itself, but it's not totally straightforward. I don't think you can add one during navigation though, which may be what you are asking about. When not navigating, you can add via points either on the map, or if you have POI/address/waypoints, you can add them that way. To add them on the map, you have to click on one of the existing route points, and it brings up a menu which includes the item add turns, which you can use to click on roads to add a turn. You can also add points from the list of points.

Usually while navigating if I know an alternate preferred route I just go that way, and let the GPSr recalculate and it usually figures it out.

Keith

Maybe things are different on the 60CSx, but on the 60C, if I recall correctly, you can create a route on the unit, cursor over to the path you want it to go, and then have it route through that point. Check posts 7 and 9 in this old thread.

Edit: For what its worth, I just tried this on my 60C. Note that I wasn't using autorouting. Instead, I created a route from the route menu. I then went to the map, marked a point along a different path, the hit menu and selected "add to route." Unfortunately, it added to the end of the route (not too surprising). So I then went back to the route page, highlighted the added waypoint, selected it and hit ENTR and selected 'Move. I moved the waypoint to where it belonged on the route and recalculated.

Not the most elegant of processes, but it works.

Edited by Sputnik 57

Thanks everyone. Looks like there iis no simple solution to this dilemma. I'm going to send a request to Garmin that this feature be added in a future firmware update. If the V can do it, the 60's certainly could too. Anybody else feeling this is a useful feature, please do the same.

I've very surprised it routed you on a dotted line road!!! Dotted lines mean gravel I think to the gps.

Heh, I had one the other day when I was coming home, using a fastest route calculation that put me on a road that I'm not convinced would have been passable in a normal car (we were in a jeep at the time). Nicely rutted two track road through the trees, no room for opposing traffic. Couldn't believe that gps thought that was the fastest route :laughing: (But hey, I'm a sucker for that type of road, so no complaints from me).

Thanks everyone. Looks like there iis no simple solution to this dilemma. I'm going to send a request to Garmin that this feature be added in a future firmware update. If the V can do it, the 60's certainly could too. Anybody else feeling this is a useful feature, please do the same.

Hi,

I did. Used the online form; but no reply.

Sent and email to techsupport and was asked (auto reply) to resend to: greg.vulinovic@garmin.com

Funny thing is, I started this debate in sci.geo.satellite-nav and no one seamed to think this was a problem that should be fixed :laughing:

Do write... I'm sure then can fix it.

p.s.

For discussions of this problem on other lists, I've stumbled across, see my notebook.

Edited by kyot