Evil Caching?

swizzle

What's the sneakiest, stealthest, devious, and most evil cache's that you've ever found? No need to give away locations or cache names. Just wondering what type of caches you guys have seen or made yourselves. One of mine is a cache within a cache. I drilled out the end of a pencil and FTF gets a $5 bill that I rolled up really tight and slid in the end. Then I put on the eraser. It looks just like a regular pencil. I've also heard of bolts being cut in half and drilled out for a micro log. I haven't used it yet but I have a scroll log in a straw and attached to a hook and pulled up into a rubber tube jig lure. I plan on "snaggin" it in a bush in a local fishing spot. Its brown so it should blend in with the local shrubbery really nice. The easiest one I've made is a micro with an ice breakers mint pack. Its a little bigger around then a quarter and fairly thin. I painted it with plastic paint and superglued the lid shut. I took a magnet out of an AOL box and super glued it on the back. Then I took a thumb tack and stuck it on the back of a tree. Quick and easy. I've seen real logs cut in half and hollowed out and stuck back together with magnets. A fake board and a reflector that was attached to a 35mm canister and stuck into a 4x4 that also has a stop sign on it. The reflector sits nice and flush and unless you pull on it you don't know the 35mm is there. Hollowed out branches and twigs. Just to name a few. Lets see what you got. Pics are a bonus. Swizzle

I'm kinda disappointed here. I thought there would be a lot more responses on this one. I just made and camo-ed a drinking staw scroll cache that is about 1 and a half inches long. I also made a ghila suit for a cache box. Looks like multi colored dead moss growing on a square box. It should camo well when hidden. I've also been experimenting with plastic paints and texturing to reduce the shiney glare on the lock and locks that I use. Walmart sells this stuff called Temperin (SP?) that is a temperary filling for cavities. The container that the filler comes in is rather small and camo's well. I have a small scroll log that is at least 2 feet long rolled up inside of one and a small neodymium magnet fits perfectly in the base. I'm still working on a super evil cache that I can't reveil because I will be using it in a multi in the near future. Let's see some pics and originality. Get those geogears turning and see what we can crank out. Swizzle

I've seen a log sheet sandwiched between the two reflectors in one of those driveway reflectors like this:

DM35RS.jpg

It was a bit of a pain taking apart and putting back together once you realized it had to be the cache. While I haven't seen it personally, I also heard of a cache that was to fake ivy leaves stiched together with a small zipper opening for the logsheet, then placed in an area full of ivy........

Micro that has re-bar on top and a platic tube on bottom put into an empty parking curb. End caps for chain link fence.

Ohhhh- these sound like fun! We are newbies, so anything that doesn't jump out at you is tricky for us- there is a local out here with a conundrum series that we have had fun with. Love the ones where you are looking right at the item and don't realize it is it for awhile.

I almost missed one that was in plain sight. I'm sure it's not the only one like it, but it was the first one I encountered. A "lost dog" sign on a pole. I walked all over the place near it, and didn't see it. Well, I saw it, but didn't read it. I was too busy looking for the cache, you know.

Went home, and then it dawned on me- so I went back.

Another was a little electrical looking box on a pole. Probably passed by it 15 times in the past, never gave it a second thought. Until my GPS told me to.

I tried looking up "Patriot Rifleman by Phideo" and came up with nothing? I'm hoping to see a few examples of micro's and regular caches. I don't see the excitement about hiding something the size of a wart on a toads a**. Micro's are small enough. I think geocaching should be more of an art in camo then find the dot in the forest. When do you call a micro a nano? Is there a specific size range? I was showing my nephew my drinking straw cache and tried to pull it out with the fishing line that I glued to it but it came unglued. I'm thinking that a drinking straw scroll cache maybe to small and stiff after painting. I think I'll stick to the temperin tube. My neodymium magnet popped off of the temperin tube today so I'll have to find a better way to attach it. Do all micro's in a multi need to be labeled geocache or just the main? I would really love to hear some more idea's on this topic and hate to see it get buried so quickly. Lets see some more pics. Thanx for your replies, Swizzle

I personally don't care to "search" around for a hidden "log" like a needle in a haystack.

My goal is to go out, find the cache and have fun getting there. Nothing sux like following all the clues, sweating up a hill, then finding out your cache is a grain of rice in the ear of a dead cat, under a garbage sack full of rotten cabbage.

I'd rather go out and find a fun cache, write down my story for others to see.

Who cares about goin home feeling like a loser?

No me.

The clue for stage one said "X MARKS THE SPOT". the GPS brings you to a small clearing in the woods. a triangle of 3 paths. in the middle of this is a clearing. there are several crossed pieces of wood on the ground about 1-2 in in diamiter and about 8-10 ft long. (X marks the spot!). at the center there is the traditional UPS. Under this unnatural pile of sticks is..... nothing. serching the area yields.....nothing. very puzzeling. muggeled?

Only when I stepped back cleared my mind and observed for a while, did I notice a 15 foot +/- sapling growing near ground zero, leaning over said X. A leafy Maple.... with a pinecone attached..........

Needless to say, a small plastic ring on top of the pinecone had numbers leading to stage 2.

When do you call a micro a nano? Is there a specific size range?
There isn't an official "nano" size, so it's pretty much up to each person. I call a micro a nano when it's just barely large enough to hold a custom-designed log sheet (typically a rolled-up strip of paper). Most of the nano caches that I've found have been blinkers or bison tubes. And most have been reasonably appropriate, placed in a location that wouldn't really support a larger cache. I actually like nano caches attached in plain sight to public art. But the time I found a nano in the woods, I was left wondering why anyone would do that.

I was showing my nephew my drinking straw cache and tried to pull it out with the fishing line that I glued to it but it came unglued.
I haven't found a glue that holds to fishing line very well. Your best bet is to tie it to something, so there is a solid mechanical connection.

FWIW, I think the idea of camouflaging a micro/nano as an abandoned lure is clever, but make sure it's waterproof. I found a handmade nano container that wasn't waterproof, and I had to dry out the log on the car defroster before I could sign it, and then it was very hard to roll back up tight enough to get back in the container because the paper had been affected by the water. Plus, the text of the attached stash note was illegible at that point.

And don't hide it where it prevents someone else from hiding a larger container. And make sure to remove anything dangerous (i.e., fishing hooks) before hiding it.

Do all micro's in a multi need to be labeled geocache or just the main?
I think it's a good idea to label all the stages (and decoy containers, if any). Otherwise they're more likely to disappear (CITO from geocachers, or just plain muggling).

My idea of an evil hide doesn't usually bring to mind the tiniest container someone was able to stash somewhere. My idea of an evil hide gives the cacher a challenge he must overcome.

In fact, my most favorite evil hide was a multi-cache conisting of three full-size ammo boxes. I hesitate to give away the hide technique, but the first leg led you down a scenic isthmus into a large body of water. Where the isthmus ended, there was only a narrow straight of water, but the cache was on the other side. There weren't any bridges nearby. We were only about 75-feet away from the second leg, but most of that was water.

We were able to retrieve the second leg without getting wet, but it took some ingenuity.

I still think it's the most cleverly evil hide I've ever found. The cacher later told me he'd scoured topo maps looking for just such geography. Told me that when he got out there, it was even better than he expected. It was genius.

Jamie

There's a cache in the Houston area that is a large plastic storage tub filled with a few hundred 35mm film cans. Only one of the cans has the logbook in it. About half of the film cans have metal washers that rattle, little notes that say "this isn't it". Its maddening but fun.

I have a cache that is a similar theme. The first stage is a large ammo can filled with 500 glass marbles. The coordinates to the final are etched on 6 of the marbles.

My fishing lure cache has the end and barb of the hook nipped off. It shouldn't be any problem, except finding it. I can understand urban caching and the need for micro's and nano's. I would just love to see more originality. Like the 3 ammo cans and the body of water obstacle. That's just using your head. I'm currently building a fake hornets nest. The difference between this one and a real one should be obvious when you get close to it. I'm also working on a fake anthill. I see the ideas are starting to flow a bit. I may never use all of the caches that I make but I have a blast making them. Swizzle

My fishing lure cache has the end and barb of the hook nipped off. It shouldn't be any problem, except finding it. I can understand urban caching and the need for micro's and nano's. I would just love to see more originality. Like the 3 ammo cans and the body of water obstacle. That's just using your head. I'm currently building a fake hornets nest. The difference between this one and a real one should be obvious when you get close to it. I'm also working on a fake anthill. I see the ideas are starting to flow a bit. I may never use all of the caches that I make but I have a blast making them. Swizzle

I have one that is a small tube on the end of a fake flower. I am trying to find a place with real flowers that look just like this one to hide it.

I also have a fake rock. I almost bought the one that looks like a Pepsi can but was afraid that it would get thrown away as real trash. I will have to find really ingenious places for these, however, because I don't like micros myself. I cache with my 3 kids and they love getting goodies out of the box, plus something larger is usually easier for me to find and I like that because the kids don't have the patience to wait hours for me to search everywhere for a micro container. I have gone after some and left wondering why the owners used a micro in that place when a large box could have been hid there instead, and it was disappointing. I guess they just didn't want to put money into a big box when you can buy a matchsafe for less than a dollar and stick a piece of paper in it.

We have these conversations all the time w/our fellow geocaching friends and just a few days ago they was telling us about one cache that they did that was inside of a fake rat. They had taken their nephews and introduced them to geocaching and one the boys had been the one that found the cache. The boys loved it!

The clue for stage one said "X MARKS THE SPOT". the GPS brings you to a small clearing in the woods. a triangle of 3 paths. in the middle of this is a clearing. there are several crossed pieces of wood on the ground about 1-2 in in diamiter and about 8-10 ft long. (X marks the spot!). at the center there is the traditional UPS. Under this unnatural pile of sticks is..... nothing. serching the area yields.....nothing. very puzzeling. muggeled?

Only when I stepped back cleared my mind and observed for a while, did I notice a 15 foot +/- sapling growing near ground zero, leaning over said X. A leafy Maple.... with a pinecone attached..........

Needless to say, a small plastic ring on top of the pinecone had numbers leading to stage 2.

I know the exact cache your talking about. We did it a few days ago and that first stage was pretty clever!

When I'm in the woods I enjoy the hike and views. I don't care for "evil" hides on those hikes. However, I can't pass them up. And I have to admit that I enjoy that feeling one has when the cache is finally located. My latest attempt of this type is the Nemesis cache located in California. I'm at stage 6 in a 7 stage cache and have put in miles of hiking, hours of searching and 1000's of feet of climbing while attempting to grab this one.

I do have a couple of caches which some may consider "evil". I make my own rock caches using real rocks from the spot where I'll be hiding them. They blend in really well. I email PHOTO's of the caches as hints and even then some don't see it. And I DON'T hide them among other rocks. I don't like "needle in the haystack" caches so why should I make other cachers do them?

I've seen some good fence post hides with the cache hidden inside a metal post. One had a bolt at the bottom of the post which needed to be removed to allow the cache to drop out. Another is designed to drop small stones down the pipe to knock the cache free.

Right now I'm in the "fun" cache mode of hidding them. I'm using unusual methods or containers to hide caches. I'm out to get that grin from the hunter. You may call these "evil" only because they are unexpected finds.

Bump!!! I love the feedback I was getting and I'm not ready to give this thread up yet. Any other's out there with super camo jobs? I have a new medium I'm working with for the plastic lock n locks. I have 4 different color paints (3 for plastic). I've been experimenting with plain old fashioned bubble wrap. The plastic paint holds to it well and the bubbles help to break up the outline of the box. I spray paint it from different angles with different colors. When the paint is still wet I take a handfull of sand and coat the whole sheet. Take a small roller and roll the sand into the bubble wrap. Next is to super glue it to the box. I'm going to experiment with strips of bubble wrap and onion bags as well. Maybe even a combo of the 2. The onion bag can hold twigs and dead vegetation which can further break up the outline of the box. Anyone have any super camo jobs on regular caches? Swizzle

I already checked out all 25 pages. I absolutely loved it. I was hoping to spark some new interest in the topic and it appears that I've done just that. I have to agree with a lot of people on that one and I think it should be a sticky. Keep 'em comin' guys. Swizzle

I have one that is a small tube on the end of a fake flower. I am trying to find a place with real flowers that look just like this one to hide it.
That would be what folks around here call a "bad evil" hide. It's a "needle-in-a-haystack" hide, and encourages cachers to trash the garden where it's hidden. Hidden in a different location, it could be a "good evil" hide, requiring more of a mental shift than a brute-force search.

One multi-cache near here has a really nice hide for the first stage.

Large wooden information sign held together with bolts. One of the bolts happens to end flush with the surface of the wood.

Take a short section of a matching bolt, thread a nut on it so that the nut just overhangs one end of the bolt. Place a small magnet inside the nut on the end of the bolt, then place a large washer around the magnet. Use epoxy cement to glue everything together.

then use a waterproof marker to write the next stage coordinates onto the washer.

place the magnet against the end of the bolt that's flush with the wood surface, and the stage is instantly hidden in plain sight. to anyone looking at it, it looks like the bolt sticks out an inch or so, and there's a washer and a nut on the bolt to keep it in place.

I didn't think anything was out of the ordinary on it until I happened to notice traces of the epoxy visible on the washer. That's the only thing that would give it away unless you happend to try pulling on the fake bolt.

Other interesting cache hides:

Sheets of magnetic material with log sheets stuck to one side, and laserprinted 'serial number' or warning signs printed on the other. One was a stage in a multi. The 'serial number' on the outside of the sheet was the waypoint GC code printed in block letters. Nobody other than a geocacher would think twice about seeing that on a telephone pole.

A small tupperware container wrapped in cammo tape, and hanging in a tree - right next to a steel footbridge... Every experienced geocacher heads straight for the bridge and starts looking for a magnetic cache. Newbies seem to have an easier time finding that cache.

Tupperware container hidden inside a hollow tree. The cache is held on a coathanger hooked into the inside of the tree, and cannot be seen at all without sticking your head inside the tree.

I am far more interested in hides that took ingenuity rather that something that was so small that it took a magnifying glass to see. Using that as my reference the most evil hide that I found was a hollowed out bolt and nut that was on a bridge. It was the same size as the other bolts that were on this bridge. The only difference was that the bolt was a little rustier than the other bolts and if you looked a the other side of the piling there was no corresponding head. A cache like this took a lot of work and was greatly appreciated even if I took 2 trys before I found it.

O.K. hopefully none of my local cachers read this post. I'll let you guys in on my 2 most evil micro's. The one micro still needs some magnets attached. It's purple and lumpy looking and with 2 properly placed thumbtacks it's done. It's sculpy clay made to look like grape bubblegum. I know, I know...EWWWW!!! My other evil micro took a great deal of work. For the log I have some tyvek superglued to a toothpick and rolled up tight. It slides right inside a short section of straw which is superglued to a magnet and some fishline around the straw and magnet to help hold it tight, its all superglued good. Then I took a bright yellow caccoon and hairsprayed it until it was stiff and hard. I then cut out a spot on the back that slides right over the straw and magnet. All I have to do is place a thumbtack in the corner of a fence, under a bench or in a space between some tree bark and it fits right in. Swizzle

O.K. hopefully none of my local cachers read this post. I'll let you guys in on my 2 most evil micro's. The one micro still needs some magnets attached. It's purple and lumpy looking and with 2 properly placed thumbtacks it's done. It's sculpy clay made to look like grape bubblegum. I know, I know...EWWWW!!! My other evil micro took a great deal of work. For the log I have some tyvek superglued to a toothpick and rolled up tight. It slides right inside a short section of straw which is superglued to a magnet and some fishline around the straw and magnet to help hold it tight, its all superglued good. Then I took a bright yellow caccoon and hairsprayed it until it was stiff and hard. I then cut out a spot on the back that slides right over the straw and magnet. All I have to do is place a thumbtack in the corner of a fence, under a bench or in a space between some tree bark and it fits right in. Swizzle

I have one that is a 2 stage multi. The first stage is at a cattle gap and you are looking for a pill bottle container. There are 5 containers hidden there, and only 1 of them has the coordinates to the cache box. It is hidden very well. The other 4 say THIS IS NOT IT. Once you find the right one it sends you only 100 feet away to the box. When you pick up the box there are 4 plastic snakes attached to it by fishing string and hiding under the leaf litter. When you pick up the box, these snakes "jump" out from under the leaf litter at you.

Since some folks have a hard time putting tiny scrolled logs back correctly,and the problem with wet logs, I have started to make all my micros two part multis.

It doesn't have to be the teeniest of containers either.just something to hold the co-ords to part two.

This is my nastiest so far...In plain sight, and I can see it from about ten feet away.It wouldn't have been found at all if I hadn't been there watching two cachers, and burst out laughing at the wrong time which tipped them off.

the folks that maintain this place are pros at finding micro's.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d8-a7100aea5d76

Not to toot my own horn but...

I will vouch for this series being evil. Its evil. Pure evil.

Insane, pulling out your hair evil.

But.....

The ones I have done so far??? LOVED THEM!!!

I enjoy the challenge, and LOVE the creative minds that go into the planning of not only the SPOT, but the container, the theme, and the DEAD on coordinates that STILL boggle you!

Kudos to Tyedyeskycrew for this local NOTORIOUS series that we all Love to hate, or hate to love. (Depending on how many you have found!)

What's the sneakiest, stealthest, devious, and most evil cache's that you've ever found?

I didn't find the cache and I honestly don't know how anyone ever did. The cache was located on top of some rock bluffs that required a fairly strenous climb. Because the area was entirely rock, multipath interference with the GPSr was a major issue.

Once at the top of the bluffs the GPSr instructed me to proceed 200ft off a cliff with a 500+ foot drop. Clearly not the way to go.

The GPSr couldn't get me closer than 500 ft and surveying the area I found a forested area with 1000s of trees of the same age and species so absolutely nothing distinct for me to search.

I think it may have been a micro as well, don't recall.

It was pure evil and no way to tell it was evil until after the climb. Evil I tell you. EVIL.

Edited by DaveA

One of my favorites was a large ammo can PACKED with 35mm film containers. Several (8-10) contained a slip of paper with coordinates on it. Only one of the sets of coordinates was correct.

Another was a micro concealed in a fake bolt in a fence post -- complete with a fake end on the other side of the post.

Patriot Rifleman by Phideo

'Nuff said.

I LOVE this hide! Well, at the time I HATED it! ALex of The_Incredibles and I searched for about thirty minutes while Mrs. LPYF and Laura of The_Incredibles waited in the car. She eventually walked over and without batting an eye said "There it is!" DOH! She was right! I HATE it when she does that!

LPYF

I personally don't care to "search" around for a hidden "log" like a needle in a haystack.

My goal is to go out, find the cache and have fun getting there. Nothing sux like following all the clues, sweating up a hill, then finding out your cache is a grain of rice in the ear of a dead cat, under a garbage sack full of rotten cabbage.

I'd rather go out and find a fun cache, write down my story for others to see.

Who cares about goin home feeling like a loser?

No me.

Amen!! Can I get a whoopwhoop for caches that are easily findable in cool locations?!??

I personally love the challenge of different types of caches. I just don't like looking 27 times for a micro that I very well might be off by 50 feet on my gps. I recently looked for a dot in the woods and my gps and my wife's gps were all over the place. I just placed a multi today with 2 somewhat evil hides but the one has a spoiler pic and clue, the other has a really good clue. Its a 3 part multi and within an hour of being published some friends of ours had finished it with just a bit of help from me on the final. If someone really likes to hunt for evil caches then they have the choice of looking for it without the hints and pics. I will be helping that same friend set up an evil multi that he has plans for. He's going to use a point system. Its a 5 stage multi and the point is to try to do it without any hints. He wants to have 3 hints for each part. One vague hint that will get you close, another hint that will get you closer and a hint that will tell you exactly where it is. Its along an old rail trail so I'm guessing all of the parts will be fairly close to te trail. Some people are bored with the quick grab and goes and they seek the harder and more challenging finds. That's part of the reason I like to make the evil caches. Its for those that like evil hides. I will always make sure that my evil hides are backed up with spoiler clues and pics just in case someone really wants to find it. After all this is for fun, not to get stressed out doing something that we love. I'm also trying to find better locations for my caches. One cache I found leads you on a trail on a steep river bank past tons of trash and TP and other nasties. The river below isn't easy to see and its just a plain flat section anyways. Impossible to fish from or view from an enjoyable distance. 2 of my caches are waterfall caches and that's my new goal in hiding caches is to find places worth visiting. Both of my waterfall caches are easy finds. That allows people time to relax and have a good time and enjoy the scenery. I do want to hide an evil micro at some point where I will offer no clues or spoilers though and advertise it strictly as an evil micro with plenty of warning. That would be saved specifically for those who love evil micro's and to everyone else that hates them then please put it on your ignore list. Its all in the name of fun. Swizzle

I have an assist on hiding an evil cache. The GPS takes you straight to a park bench on a pier, which may lead you to think that its yet another park bench magnetic keyholder cache.

The cache is an ID capsule hanging below the pier, tied to the bench by fishing line (very invisible even when looking).

An evil cache to one is fun for the next, I have seen several and hid some myself in populated areas. I think the most evil cache is one that is a real challenge, a cache that is not a simple a park, walk 10 steps, look for 10-15 min and wow there it is an evil micro. I have an evil multi cache GC13M3W in Minnesota, place on June 15, 2007 and to date only 3 finds. WHAT WAS I THINKING check it out. Any size cache can be evil and some will hate them other will love them KEEP CACHING.

I don't see anything wrong with the "nano in the woods" idea. A responsible cache owner marks what size the container is, if you don't want to look for a dot in the woods, just don't do the cache. Some of the most creative containers require you to put a small nano inside. I would much rather look for a little acorn cache that's inventive than another tupperware stuck in a bush.

I have three little ones that always cache with us, so yeah, the bigger caches are enjoyed because you can put swag in them, even our kids enjoy a creative container. One of our areas most creative hides had us looking 3 seperate times for it, and when we found it, we got a good laugh. I know some people don't like them, but some do, and it's fair to have a little of everything available to meet everyone's levels of enjoyment.

And, if you're getting stressed out, maybe you should take a break. This is supposed to be fun. If you're no longer enjoying yourself then a new hobby might be in order.

Here's one of my evil hides. I posted a spoiler pic on the site though so people know exactly what they are looking for. I also posted that if you want a real challenge then try this without any hints or spoiler pics. So people who like evil caching have a choice. Swizzle

Geocaching017.jpg

Geocaching019.jpg