Clifty Falls-why So Few Caches?

Will+Bill

I am going camping at Clifty Falls soon, and was wondering why there are so few caches there. There are only two caches in the whole park, both of which were hidden in 2001. Is there a ban on new caches there, or are there just not that many hiders in that area. One of the caches I found was GC242E so you can look at the map.

If caches are allowed, I might have to hide a few more there!

Note: I am about 3 hours away from Clifty so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Given the number of active cachers down in the area (and having the Fall '05 picnic there) I suspect that if caches were allowed then there would be more. It is a state park and thus the normal permitting system would need to be used. This can be a hassle and this may be the reason that local cachers do not place more caches. I know that my local state park -- Prophetstown -- does not currently have any caches (mine were removed earlier this year) and I suspect the reason is the permitting process.

But all of that is speculation. Maybe someone from IndiGo will chime in?

After the Charlestown State Park debacle I stay away from hiding caches in state parks. I still have a bad taste from that. There isn't a lot of active cachers in the Madison area but I am not sure if anyone has tried to hide caches there or not. It is a great area with lots of trails. I guess sI didn't really answer your question did I.

Deermark

Too far from there to know for sure. But, the permit is easier to fill out than actually placing the cache.

Heard word from the grapevine that the IDNR state parks is going to promoting a geocaching contest this fall, with some pretty sweet prizes. Maybe Clifty will be involved with that.

But, the permit is easier to fill out than actually placing the cache.

I have to disagree with that statement. Since part of the permit includes the GPS coordinates and a physical description of where the cache wil be located then the permitting process includes at least two visits to the cache location. The first to determine the location and the second, after potentially weeks of back and forth communications with the state park officials, to actually place the cache.

Heard word from the grapevine that the IDNR state parks is going to promoting a geocaching contest this fall, with some pretty sweet prizes.

That would be nice. Very nice.

IDNR == Indiana department of natural resources for those confused about this conversation.