Bit The Bullet, New 76csx On Its Way

Well, I finally decided to upgrade my current GPSr. I have the Garmin 76S currently, so I bought the 76CSx (so they can share the data/power cables and mounts). I ordered the Auto Nav pack from gpsdiscount.com which comes with City Select v7, which I asked them about and they said Garmin will upgrade to City Navigator v8 for free! I can't wait to take the new unit out caching!

Well, I finally decided to upgrade my current GPSr. I have the Garmin 76S currently, so I bought the 76CSx (so they can share the data/power cables and mounts). I ordered the Auto Nav pack from gpsdiscount.com which comes with City Select v7, which I asked them about and they said Garmin will upgrade to City Navigator v8 for free! I can't wait to take the new unit out caching!

Observations on my switch from the 76CS to the 76CSx:

I acquire satellites much faster and lose them less often. I even get sats sitting at my desk at home.

The CSx does a route recalculation MUCH faster. A nice change.

When I plug the CSx into my USB port it switches to power from there and stops using the battery power.

The CSx may be giving me less lead time on warnings for turns - not sure yet but it seems like that is the case. Not a good change. I'll test when my CS comes back from Garmin.

I have to get my CS back from Garmin to test but the CSx may have a lower volume to the warning beeps - if so it isn't a good change.

I've ordered a 1GB microSD card for the CSx and will put the Western half of the US on it. Nice change.

The CSx may be giving me less lead time on warnings for turns - not sure yet but it seems like that is the case. Not a good change. I'll test when my CS comes back from Garmin.

I have to get my CS back from Garmin to test but the CSx may have a lower volume to the warning beeps - if so it isn't a good change.

Thrak,

I have noticed the same things on my 60CSx and I have emailed Garmin requesting that they fix them both. At least make the warning times/distances variable settings and pump up the volume to at least that of the CS series. The more people that contact them about these issues, the more seriously they will take them.

My 76CSX came today, so I went out and played. As mentioned, fast on getting the birds, strong hold even under tree cover on a three mile hike! Updating was easy with webupdater. I even get birds while it sits on the desk. Some of the other features I will have to try this weekend. I like it.

Edited by Dirtnapper

Did you order the GPS 76 CSX unit from gpsdiscount.com as well? I am going to bite the bullet too before the rebate expires and am looking for the best deal from a reliable company. I was thinking of amazon.com.

Thanks for your response. :rolleyes:

Did you order the GPS 76 CSX unit from gpsdiscount.com as well? I am going to bite the bullet too before the rebate expires and am looking for the best deal from a reliable company. I was thinking of amazon.com.

Thanks for your response. :anicute:

Yes, I ordered the GPS as well from GPSDiscount.com. I ordered my 76S from there 4 years ago, and I've been happy with them. To find the 76CSx from their web site, click on the link to handheld gps' and choose from there, or go directly to the URL: http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/index.html?p=917

The price there for just the unit is $439 before the rebate, and that includes free Fedex Express shipping (2-3 business days). I ordered yesterday, and the package was already sent out. According to FedEx my GPS should be here Tuesday.

I did have a problem with the credit card I used. I mistyped the expiration date, so the card was declined. However they were quick to respond and we got it straightened out and it still shipped the same day I ordered. I'm very happy with them. Also, you get a free t-shirt when you buy a gps. :grin:

Yes, I ordered the GPS as well from GPSDiscount.com. I ordered my 76S from there 4 years ago, and I've been happy with them. To find the 76CSx from their web site, click on the link to handheld gps' and choose from there, or go directly to the URL: http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/index.html?p=917

The price there for just the unit is $439 before the rebate, and that includes free Fedex Express shipping (2-3 business days). I ordered yesterday, and the package was already sent out. According to FedEx my GPS should be here Tuesday.

I did have a problem with the credit card I used. I mistyped the expiration date, so the card was declined. However they were quick to respond and we got it straightened out and it still shipped the same day I ordered. I'm very happy with them. Also, you get a free t-shirt when you buy a gps. :grin:

Got mine for $407.00 before rebate at Shipdog.com.

I bought mine from shipdog.com as well. Fast delivery. I'm very satisfied with them.

I bought mine from shipdog.com but if you go with amazon.com then check for their credit card offer. If you sign up for their credit card and use it for the purchase you get an immediate $40.00 discount. I just did that and purchased a 1GB microSD card for my 76CSx. The card was $44.95 with free shipping. After the discount I should see a charge of only $4.95 on the bill when it arrives.

Of course I plan to shred the credit card when it arrives...........

Edited by Thrak

I bought mine from shipdog.com as well. Fast delivery. I'm very satisfied with them.

I just glanced at shipdog's website and I didn't see a 76CSx listed, though I saw a 76CS. perhaps they're out of stock currently?

Just got the new unit today and took it out caching! I like the speed at which it locks. After it initialized itself to my location, I was able to power it up in my house, and it locked within 30 seconds!

Outside, I was getting an accuracy of around 10-12ft most of the time.

Unfortunately, it was my wife who first found the cache that we were hunting... Oh well, I did get this one for her mostly (for the auto-routing feature).