60csx Volume?

I realize there's no way to change the beep volume level on the device,

but has anyone else found it too soft for autorouting and such? I have to keep the radio low or pretty much off to hear the alerts and it would be nice not to have to visually check the GPSR to find out if I'm getting near a direction change.

I wonder if Garmin could improve this... or maybe add a USB connectable external speaker.

Just a thought.

I realize there's no way to change the beep volume level on the device,

but has anyone else found it too soft for autorouting and such? I have to keep the radio low or pretty much off to hear the alerts and it would be nice not to have to visually check the GPSR to find out if I'm getting near a direction change.

I wonder if Garmin could improve this... or maybe add a USB connectable external speaker.

Just a thought.

I upgraded to a CSx from a CS and I can definitely hear the difference between the two. I asked another member yesterday if he heard a difference between his 76CS and 76CSx and he said they were the same. I think it is an issue with the 60 series in the x version. I have emailed them about it, but the more that do the more they will take it seriously. What would be ideal is if they made it adjustable, but I would be satisfied if they just made it as loud as the 60CS or better yet, the GPS V.

The turn warning beeps are definately not loud enough. As a partial (but not perfect) solution, try changing the tones used for the warning beeps (in the SETUP - TONES menu). I find Tone 8 to be the easiest to hear.

Hope this helps.

GW

Hopefully you all will email Garmin about this "issue" like I did and maybe they will correct it in a firmware release. I seriously doubt it is a hardware issue.

I have no problem hearing the beeps of my previous 60CS or present 60CSx. They are loud and clear. I know some people have difficulties hearing high pitch signal, so a solution for the time being would be to select the tone that is most clear to you.

Of course, a better solution is for Garmin to include "volume control" in its future firmware upgrade. When that is done, we'll have issue of draining too much battery power to tackle with....

Cheers and happy GPSing.

I have no problem hearing the beeps of my previous 60CS or present 60CSx. They are loud and clear. I know some people have difficulties hearing high pitch signal, so a solution for the time being would be to select the tone that is most clear to you.

Of course, a better solution is for Garmin to include "volume control" in its future firmware upgrade. When that is done, we'll have issue of draining too much battery power to tackle with....

Cheers and happy GPSing.

alwaysGPS,

Take your CS and your CSx and power them up. Go to the tone setups and select the same one on each. Hit enter at the same time and let us know if you don't hear a significant difference in the volume between your CS and your CSx.

alwaysGPS,

Take your CS and your CSx and power them up. Go to the tone setups and select the same one on each. Hit enter at the same time and let us know if you don't hear a significant difference in the volume between your CS and your CSx.

oh dear, andygriffith, I have sold my CS before getting the upgrade. but my point was that I have no problems hearing the beeps of both even though there may be differences in "loudness" between the 2 sets when doing the test you mentioned.

alwaysGPS,

oh dear, andygriffith, I have sold my CS before getting the upgrade. but my point was that I have no problems hearing the beeps of both even though there may be differences in "loudness" between the 2 sets when doing the test you mentioned.

alwaysGPS,

Ok, I still have my CS so I am able to compare the two, others have also stated that they hear a significant loss of volume with the x series.

A related question if I may...

How exactly do the tone signals work? Is there just one tone at a set distance from a turn?

A related question if I may...

How exactly do the tone signals work? Is there just one tone at a set distance from a turn?

If you select Tones from the Setup menu you have the option of setting different tones for the following things:

Message Beep, Key Beep, Power Beep, Turn Warning (Early) and Turn Warning (Final) or Mute all sounds.

There are 19 different tones to pick from.

I have no trouble hearing the tones IF I turn the radio down.

But with a kid and a wife in the car, watching where I'm going and basically trying to enjoy the ride I pretty much have to and listen out for beeps which are softer than a $10 watch.

IMO, the point of an audible warning is so you don't have to divert part of your attention to monitor the unit for prompts.

I suppose whenever I find a non-permenent dash mount I like it will be easier to hear it than when its resting in the console cup holder...but then I'll see the unit flashing too.

I'd still like it louder, and would gladly trade some power consumption considering the times I need the extra volume it will be plugged into the lighter adaptor anyway.

Edited by Bikezilla

I have no trouble hearing the tones IF I turn the radio down.

But with a kid and a wife in the car, watching where I'm going and basically trying to enjoy the ride I pretty much have to and listen out for beeps which are softer than a $10 watch.

IMO, the point of an audible warning is so you don't have to divert part of your attention to monitor the unit for prompts.

I suppose whenever I find a non-permenent dash mount I like it will be easier to hear it than when its resting in the console cup holder...but then I'll see the unit flashing too.

I'd still like it louder, and would gladly trade some power consumption considering the times I need the extra volume it will be plugged into the lighter adaptor anyway.

True, the tones are really low. Considering how loud a mobile phone can sound despite it's small size, I wonder why Garmin did not implement a louder speaker.

On the other hand, I would not like my GPS to start to scream when I am stalking a deer in the woods ! :rolleyes:

If you select Tones from the Setup menu you have the option of setting different tones for the following things:

Message Beep, Key Beep, Power Beep, Turn Warning (Early) and Turn Warning (Final) or Mute all sounds.

There are 19 different tones to pick from.

Thanks for the explanation.