Indianageocaching.com

SouthFace

If there is anyone who would be interested in taking over the administration/ownership of indianageocaching.com please e-mail info@indianageocaching.com The site has needed a new direction for a long time, if you think you can provide that please let me know.

If no one is interested the site will be taken down Aug 1, 2006.

It is a good web address and well known but the problem has always been, who is it for? With IndiGo representing the south part of the state and various other organizations representing parts of northern Indiana, the indianageocaching banner of ""For All Indiana Cachers" seems at little bit, well, out-of-date.

Aside from the Fort Wayne group, I really don't see any of the northern groups being active enough to take over the site and keep it going in any reasonable manner.

Assuming that the Fort Wayne cachers don't step forward then I suggest a couple of options:

1) Redirect the indianageocaching site to Indigo's site.

2) Gut the site and just have a simple list pointing to the various Indiana geocaching organizations.

I'll do the latter (and pay for the site) if no one else steps forward. I'd rather keep the site within the community than to lose it to the web site squatters.

Sounds like a great idea. This site has needed some redirection or a good shot in the arm for some time now. Indigo looks nice but only serves the south, despite their statewide name indication. The indianageocaching site has forums, which Indigo still lacks.

Perhaps Team BuddyMac and Lord Elwood could collarborate on it. The more people responsible for it could help ensure it does not fall by the wayside again.

Get it up and going again and we can use it to help debut a big geocaching contest coming to Indiana this fall!

Sounds like a great idea. This site has needed some redirection or a good shot in the arm for some time now.

Perhaps Team BuddyMac and Lord Elwood could collarborate on it. The more people responsible for it could help ensure it does not fall by the wayside again.

Get it up and going again and we can use it to help debut a big geocaching contest coming to Indiana this fall!

Let us all remember that ^^^^ and <<<< are two different people. I may love him, but doesn't mean we always agree.

Sounds like a great idea. This site has needed some redirection or a good shot in the arm for some time now.

Let us all remember that ^^^^ and <<<< are two different people. I may love him, but doesn't mean we always agree.

What the heck are you talking about?

Ft. Wayne has a geocaching group??? I knew we had the Ft. Wayne forum, but a group??? Where does that leave the rest of us, the ones that aren't in Ft. Wayne. Ah, well, I will stay up here in my own little world.

Fort Wayne Geocachers started as the group name, but it was changed to NEI-GEO to include Geocachers from North East Indiana. Now apparently it has been changed to D.O.G.S.???

Anyway, some still refer to it as the Fort Wayne group because that is what it started as and Genoist never changed the name on the forums.

What about those of us in east central Indiana? Is there a group for us?

Sure, just pick one and go. You will just have to drive a little further, but it will be well worth it. Most groups have been hesitant to draw circles around themselves and define the geocraphical boundaries of their "membership". This is a good thing. I have never felt like a foreigner at any geocaching event.

CINCO and NEI have held some great events. Sometime in the near future I must get down to an INKY event too.

It's all good!

Edited by Rupert2

Sure, just pick one and go. You will just have to drive a little further, but it will be well worth it. Most groups have been hesitant to draw circles around themselves and define the geocraphical boundaries of their "membership". This is a good thing. I have never felt like a foreigner at any geocaching event.

CINCO and NEI have held some great events. Sometime in the near future I must get down to an INKY event too.

It's all good!

Can you give me links to those sites? Thanks!

It's all good!

I don't know the websites for CINCO and NEI, but I can help you with INKY (loosely based around Jeffersonville/Louisville) and Indigo (pretty much east to west across the state, from Indy south).

INKY

Indigo

(or, if you don't like links,... www.inkygeo.com and http://www.indigo-geo.com )

It's all good!

CINCO

I do not belive that NEI has a website. Just check the Indiana events.

In addition there is an informal group of cachers from Indiana/Illinois who gather in Terre Haute every now and then (GCWKG6). I also notice that whitesdfx has hosted a couple of events over near Lawrenceburg. If he can pick the correct day for his next one, I might just show up. :laughing:

I almost forgot about OKIC, although I am not sure if they are a social group or a formal club.

Edited by Rupert2

Oh, I'm sorry, did I confuse you? Huh. Let me try to make it clear...with words chosen carefully so that my post will not be turned all around in an attempt to make it sound like I am bashing anybody, as that is NOT the case! That being said...

Some people (not mentioning ANY names, in an attempt to not single ANYONE out) are confused by the fact that while both Brad and I, Amber, cache under the team name "the herd", we (Brad and I) post in the forums under different accounts. I (Amber) use "the herd" and he (Brad) uses his (Brad's) work account, "Pokagon Nature Center." Sometimes we (Brad and Amber) accidentally post under each others (Brad and Ambers) accounts, (like above) but we (Brad and Amber) ALWAYS try to fix it as soon as possible. My (Amber's) post quoted above, in an attempt to make me (Amber) look like an idiot, simply meant that while we (Brad and Amber)may both post in here, we (Brad and Amber) don't always agree as far as our, (his and mine) opinions on certain topics go.

Hope that was clear enough.

now I get to sit back and see how THIS one gets turned around. I apologize for the repeated use of our names, but I wanted to make it clear up front WHOM I was refering to, in an attempt to keep people from reading WAY to far into something that isn't there.

Edited by The Herd

Oh, I'm sorry, did I confuse you? Huh. Let me try to make it clear...with words chosen carefully so that my post will not be turned all around in an attempt to make it sound like I am bashing anybody, as that is NOT the case! That being said...

Some people (not mentioning ANY names, in an attempt to not single ANYONE out) are confused by the fact that while both Brad and I, Amber, cache under the team name "the herd", we (Brad and I) post in the forums under different accounts. I (Amber) use "the herd" and he (Brad) uses his (Brad's) work account, "Pokagon Nature Center." Sometimes we (Brad and Amber) accidentally post under each others (Brad and Ambers) accounts, (like above) but we (Brad and Amber) ALWAYS try to fix it as soon as possible. My (Amber's) post quoted above, in an attempt to make me (Amber) look like an idiot, simply meant that while we (Brad and Amber)may both post in here, we (Brad and Amber) don't always agree as far as our, (his and mine) opinions on certain topics go.

now I get to sit back and see how THIS one gets turned around. I apologize for the repeated use of our names, but I wanted to make it clear up front WHOM I was refering to, in an attempt to keep people from reading WAY to far into something that isn't there.

The ones who were confused, now understand and the ones who understood are now confused!

The ones who were confused, now understand and the ones who understood are now confused!

LOL, great point, but it was the only way to make it impossible to switch or misinterpet what I was trying to say... I guess I could have done this at the beginning...(though, the irritation in my typing would not have come through so strong!)

*BEFORE READING THIS POST, PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FOLLOWING KEY SHOULD BE USED:

"we, our, ours, mine, his, her's, us" all stand for BRAD, AMBER or a combination of the two!

LOL, great point, but it was the only way to make it impossible to switch or misinterpet what I was trying to say... I guess I could have done this at the beginning...(though, the irritation in my typing would not have come through so strong!)

*BEFORE READING THIS POST, PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FOLLOWING KEY SHOULD BE USED:

"we, our, ours, mine, his, her's, us" all stand for BRAD, AMBER or a combination of the two!

Yikes!! Sorry I asked. Chill. Have a beer.

Any [indiana geocaching organizations] in the Central time zone?

I believe that "Central Time Zone" still means the area around Chicago (a.k.a., "The Region") and the area around Evansville. Although with the current administration anything is possible. :-)

Anyway Evansville has a new social group (E.C.O. ??) which is part of Indigo.

I don't think that The Region has a separate group different than the Chicago groups. Nor, perhaps, should they. Despite the area having a large portion of Indiana's population its viewpoint has always seemed (to me at least) northwest leaning.

South Bend (in Eastern time) doesn't seem to have a group. In my area of the Eastern time zone there is CINCO (Lebanon, Lafayette, Logansport, Kokomo, Monticello) -- although given the staleness of the web page, well, I guess we are still alive -- plus INCA in the Peru area.

Further east but still north of Indy there doesn't seem to be a group.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, one good use for the indianageocaching.com site, in my opinion, is simply to get all of this information down on one web page with appropriate links.

Any [indiana geocaching organizations] in the Central time zone?

Anyway Evansville has a new social group (E.C.O. ??) which is part of Indigo.

As a member of both Indigo and E.C.O. I'd like to point out that E.C.O. is not a part of Indigo though there is some overlapping membership. E.C.O. is a separate, stand alone, entity that operates autonomously.

N1

I don't think that The Region has a separate group different than the Chicago groups. Nor, perhaps, should they. Despite the area having a large portion of Indiana's population its viewpoint has always seemed (to me at least) northwest leaning.

Nobody wants us!

Chicago people think that Indiana is one day drive away or it's someplace you drive through to get to Michigan. They think that all we do in Indiana is grow corn. (Illinois grows more corn than Indiana. I worked in Chicago for 20 years and heard it all the time.)

The rest of Indiana thinks we are part of Chicago. We have to identify with someplace since a former governor of Indiana once said that the best thing that could happen to Indiana would be for Lake and Porter Counties to slip into Lake Michigan. If I’m not mistaken, that was in the 1930’s. (But they sure like the tax dollars that get sent to Indy!) With an attitude like that, it’s no wonder we keep to ourselves!

"Da Region" isn't as bad as people some people think. In 1973 I met some people in Nashville, Tennessee who asked me if I knew Al Capone. I had to explain that he'd been dead for quite a while. We’ve got a reputation of being a home to gangsters and organized crime. Our crime rate isn’t much worse than any other large metro area if we don’t get lumped in with Chicago and its surrounding communities. (More on that below)

This is a very diverse area made up of the descendants of people who migrated here from across the Atlantic and across America to work in the mills and factories.

“Da Region” has taken some pretty hard hits economically, but will bounce back.

The area has its problem just like any other metropolitan area and will continue to have them and work through them.

There are lots of good cachers and some quality caches in “Da Region” and there’s room for more. We just haven’t organized a group and expanded in this area. Maybe that will happen one day in the future. Everyone seems to go out and do it on their own for now.

Here’s some information taken from E-podunk.com

Combining Lake and Porter Counties covers “Da Region”.

Lake County 2000

Crime / Number

Total 18,559

Murder 90

Rape 119

Robbery 959

Aggravated Assault 1,208

Burglary 3,184

Larceny - theft 9,938

Motor vehicle thefts 2,971

Population 389,752

Coverage indicator 100%

Porter County 2000

Crime / Number (Estimate)

Total 4,027

Murder 2

Rape 22

Robbery 21

Aggravated Assault 97

Burglary 503

Larceny - theft 3,078

Motor vehicle thefts 279

Population 146,798

Coverage indicator 99%

Marion County 2000

Crime / Number

Total 40,836

Murder 105

Rape 470

Robbery 2,672

Aggravated Assault 3,825

Burglary 8,486

Larceny - theft 18,647

Motor vehicle thefts 6,306

Population 860,454

Coverage indicator 100%

I’d rather live in “Da Region” than Marion County!!

Fewer people, Less crime.

That’s my .02.

Edited by Woodbutcher68

A lot of us in the Fort Wayne area are finally getting together to create an actual organization. There have been some debates on what we should call it and the region this group should cover (should we be NEI-GEO or NI-GEO?). We are planning on having our first discussional meeting in October. We don't have the details, yet, but I'm hoping to have those finalized by the end of this week.

If there is enough interest in the North West corner of the state, then we could easily expand the area of the group to included you as well.

This might make the monthly Meet & Eats a littl difficult with the driving and all, but it will definitely open up the region and give those of us on the east side fo the state more of a reason to cache on the west side of the state.

I will keep everyone posted.

E.C.O. is still an active force down here in the bottom of the state. I'm sensing that all of the Central Time Zone areas get a little dissed by Indy -- when one of my co-workers recently got his Indiana driver's license renewal in the mail from the BMV, it was addressed to Evansville, ILLINOIS, 47714... Hmm..... Yup - there's our tax dollars at work. B)

I think one thing that Indigo found was that going the whole way East to West across the state is rough for middle of the week meet and greets. But, when they schedule the weekend TrailMixes, lots and lots show up. For ECO, we have members scattered from north of Vincennes to Jasper to Paducah, KY, to Louisville, etc. So, we just move the meet and greets around a lot (one in Kentucky followed by one in Indiana, and sometimes up in Patoka and sometimes over in Jasper and ...) - and we hold them on the weekends, so that more have a chance to come. Just a thought if/when N(E)I-GEO forms up.

:anitongue: I am for keeping the Indiana site. This would be a good central location for all to visit (from any group or area of Indiana). I live in the Anderson area, at the edge of all groups. As we post here and in other topics on this site, the Indiana site for be a good placed for Indiana cachers to post in the forums. :rolleyes:

Has anyone contacted the OP to take control of Indianageocaching.com? I don't have a clue about web site design so I am not stepping up but I would hate to see this one go. I am all for a general site with links to all Indiana caching groups. A forum that is used more often would be great too.

Chris-Team Shydog

I have. The OP contacted me today and is going to start moving stuff over.

I will likely use some sort of portal interface, so others can also update and work on the site (once i approve them). Simple updates such as events and news postings should be no harder than posting on this forum.

Well, hopefully, the OP hasn't replied to me yet.

For you techies, i'm thinking of using Joomla with SMF forums.

For you non-techies, It will basically have news, links, a calendar, a forum, etc. Make suggestions, I can add just about anything to it.

Anyone who is interested in contributing will be granted admin privleges to add articles, links, etc.

Well, hopefully, the OP hasn't replied to me yet.

For you techies, i'm thinking of using Joomla with SMF forums.

For you non-techies, It will basically have news, links, a calendar, a forum, etc. Make suggestions, I can add just about anything to it.

Anyone who is interested in contributing will be granted admin privleges to add articles, links, etc.

Sounds like a good idea. Getting the forum strong I would like to see. They rest is also a must. I would like to see all Indiana cachers and organizations together as one on one website for information and event sharing. Indiana is a very strong state of geocaching. :laughing: