When, If Ever, Is It Acceptable To Remove Someone Else's Cache?

If I discovered a friend's archived cache still hidden, it's possible that I would pull the cache for him/her.

But how about if you found a cache illegally placed, meaning it breaks the law. How about a cache that does not conform to GC guidelines? What if the cache appears to put other cachers in imminent danger?

Is it ever appropriate/acceptable to remove another cacher's cache?

If I discovered a friend's archived cache still hidden, it's possible that I would pull the cache for him/her.

But how about if you found a cache illegally placed, meaning it breaks the law. How about a cache that does not conform to GC guidelines? What if the cache appears to put other cachers in imminent danger?

Thank you. I've been waiting for this. This ought to be interesting. :D:D:D

Well, I've recently posted notes on 2 caches that I had adopted that now needed to be removed. I knew it was going to take a little while for me to get there personally, so I asked the next finder(s) to remove them for me. I told them they could keep and/or rehide the caches, I just wanted the logs or a picture of them. A cacher that night posted a note saying he'd do it, and just a couple days later removed them for me, and e-mailed me pictures of the logs. That would be one example of a time it's acceptable. Most of the rest of the time I'd say you're over-stepping your bounds removing someone else's cache.

GC.com isn't the only listing site, so just because it's archived here doesn't mean it's geolitter, it very well could be listed somewhere else.

Not all caches are designed to be "safe", so that's not anyone's business to remove, either. Now, if the cache is rated a 1/1 and in a dangerous area, I think that should be brought to the attention of the local reviewer if contacting the owner doesn't get changes made at least to the cache's ratings and preferably the description should mention what to expect in the area.

There are also caches out there that when placed, conformed to the guidelines, but don't currently. These caches are "grandfathered" and it's not anyone's place to remove them.

Illegal caches? It's still the cache owner's property and removing it could be considered theft, also illegal. Post a SBA and let the local reviewer handle it from there.

Edited by IV_Warrior

In the very early part of my caching career (very early), my wife and I came across a cache that was not hidden very well. We decided that we were doing the owner a favor and moved it about 15 feet away to a more appropriate hiding spot (in a stump). Cachers continued finding it and logging it without any problem. I later read through the logs that the owner decided to visit the cache and obviously didn't find it where he had hid it and assumed that it went missing. The cache was disabled and archived.

That's been on my chest for a long time. Now I feel better!

In the very early part of my caching career (very early), my wife and I came across a cache that was not hidden very well. We decided that we were doing the owner a favor and moved it about 15 feet away to a more appropriate hiding spot (in a stump). Cachers continued finding it and logging it without any problem. I later read through the logs that the owner decided to visit the cache and obviously didn't find it where he had hid it and assumed that it went missing. The cache was disabled and archived.

That's been on my chest for a long time. Now I feel better!

There must have been a miscommunication somewhere unless you forgot to tell the owner you moved it. (I always post in the logs or e-mail the owner if I knowingly moved a cache)

I've removed an archived cache once. The owner still has not logged back in to GC.com. It was located about 0.1 miles beyond a newly placed "No Trespassing" sign. It seemed abandoned for more than a year, so I risked the trespassing to find it. I had thoughts of leaving it there, except the No Trespassing issue made me decide to take it with me. I still have it with the trade items and log book intact if the owner wants it back.

Just recently we went looking for a cache in front of a house. Apperently the very inconsiderate cache owner hid this cache while visiting family in his home town and hide this cache at his childhood home. The house was empty and for sale at the time he hid the cache. Well when we went to look for it the house had sold and now had an owner. The owner knew nothing about this cache nor about geocaching. He called the police and advised us to find the "dadgum" thing and get it gone. Well we never found it and after nearly being arrested for trespass (which the homeowner wanted, but the police let us off) we left.

If we had found that cache we would have taken it or probably let the police have it.

I can't think of many instances where it would be OK. One would be a situation similar to Parents of SAM, where an irate landowner demanded that I remove it.

Another might be if I was spotted with the cache and it was fairly obvious to me that the cache was in danger because of that. In this case I'd note it in my log and e-mail the owner directly and either get the cache back to the owner, or replace it as soon as possible.

Edited by briansnat

We stopped on the side of the road that goes through an Indian Reservation to find a cache. After finding it, we had trouble getting the container open, so we brought it back to the car.

A Tribal policeman came over and asked, in a not-friendly way, what we were doing. :D

We said we were just taking a break. He said we could pass through the Reservation on the highway, but we were not allowed to stop. We continued on our way, with the cache in the car . . .

We stopped on the side of the road that goes through an Indian Reservation to find a cache. After finding it, we had trouble getting the container open, so we brought it back to the car.

A Tribal policeman came over and asked, in a not-friendly way, what we were doing. :D

We said we were just taking a break. He said we could pass through the Reservation on the highway, but we were not allowed to stop. We continued on our way, with the cache in the car . . .

That's racial profiling and I HATE that...

Oh darn... I got myself started...

Illegal caches? It's still the cache owner's property and removing it could be considered theft, also illegal. Post a SBA and let the local reviewer handle it from there.

Yes I understand, you don't want to jump to conclusions. Still I have found caches placed where they should not be and I have contacted the reviewer in every case. No one has ever asked for their cache back. Usually it is because they are banned from the site.

Its hard to say it situation is different I cant say that I would never remove a cache but I would make darn sure I had good reason, if a cache is placed againts the rules it would be best to email your local reviewer.

What if emailing the reviewer, repeatedly asking for the cache to be archived, and still nothing happens? What if the cache is placed in a fragile environment and the GC traffic is destroying the area? What if muggles or wildlife destroy the cache container and the contents are strewn all over, leaving nothing of value to replace? Should the next cacher in remove the damaged goods, report it as destroyed and ask that it be replaced or archived? What if STILL nothing is done, months, sometimes years later?

Yeah, flame me if you want, but there are appropriate times to remove a cache. :D

Edited by The GeoGadgets Team

If you have permission of the owner ahead of time to move a cache - what is wrong with that? There should be no argument. But if you move a cache because you feel you could have hidden better that is wrong! Why move a cache hidden inappropriately - whose rules are you basing the inapproriateness. Yes Geocaching.com does have "guidelines" but it does not take responsibility for any caches we hide, isn't that why they publish rather than approve caches now.

We found this cache the other day in Turlock, CA GCKEW4 High-Tech Cache. This was placed in a city owned (Office) parking area behind a Police Station and among other city offices. I thought it was inapproriate and I would have moved it in a minute if I could have but it WAS NOT MY CACHE and I did not know the owner. Come to find out the owner is a voyeur who takes pics of people through his office window and posts them on the site.

In looking for caches placed on private property well you have a choice take a measurable risk and trespass or don't go for it, send the owner a POLITE log, and move along. Or just move along.

We were involved in the removal of a cache once. It was on a bridge and the sheriff came by and gave another cacher a really hard time and as all of us went to her defence and explained what she was doing over a freeway, the police didn't ticket her but demanded that the cache be removed and no one else hunt in that location. So with him watching she took the cache back to her car and e-mailed the cache owner as soon as she got home.

I have removed the reamins of two caches that had been muggles on different occasions. One I placed inside a larger cache nearby because I found it out in the open and could not determine where it's original hiding place had been. The other I knew where it belonged but it had been damaged and couldn't be rehidden there without further maintinence than I could do in the field, so I moved it to a new hiding place and contacted the owner with the new coordinates.

Obviously such situations are a good reason to remove a cache as are several of the others mentioned so far (new land owner, police problems, etc.)

One reason that hasn't been mentioned is any cache that endangers our sport, which could be for some of the same reasons or others. A cache hidden on railroad tracks before GC guidelines made it against the rules does not count as grandfathered because that cache is hidden illegally. I'd much rather catch some greif from a irrate cache owner than have Johny Law find the cache and stir up more bad press for our sport.

AR_kayaker

There are definately situations where it is appropriate to remove a cache that isn't yours, but as others have said, there has to be a very good immediate reason for you to take it, rather than letting the owner handle it.

We just recently found a cache that the container had been coming undone for several weeks, and when we found it, the container was not able to be rehidden (magnets had come unglued, pieces fell off). There was no way to replace the cache, and as it was urban, there was no good way to conceal the pieces at the location. So, we took the container and log with us, emailed the owner, posted a note on the page, and ended up meeting up with his cacher friend and giving the container to him to get back to the owner. (we were out-of-town, and were leaving shortly, or we probably would have waited and given the cache to the owner ourselves).

Removing a cache because of a personal opinion is a big no-no though <_<

We were caching recently, and were the second and third cachers to visit a new cache near a waterpark. They owner came out to find out what "all the people" were looking for in that spot. I explained, they told me to get it out of there--NOW!

I took the cache with me, left a message explaining what happened on the cache page, and emailed the cache owner, and the local reviewer. I haven't heard back from the cache owner yet, but the local reviewer archived the cache.

If another property owner directs me to removed something from their property, I will do it again.

We were caching recently, and were the second and third cachers to visit a new cache near a waterpark. They owner came out to find out what "all the people" were looking for in that spot. I explained, they told me to get it out of there--NOW!

I took the cache with me, left a message explaining what happened on the cache page, and emailed the cache owner, and the local reviewer. I haven't heard back from the cache owner yet, but the local reviewer archived the cache.

If another property owner directs me to removed something from their property, I will do it again.

If a property owner 'directs' me to remove 'something' from their property, I will 'direct' the property owner to bite my buns and remove it himself. <_<:huh::unsure:

The Maryland Geocaching Society has a process for identifying archived and abandoned caches for local cachers to check, and if necessary, remove the litter. I've removed one, archived by the owner, but not removed after two years.

These are archived and abandoned but not retrieved caches.

As to a property owner telling me to remove an illegally placed cache on his or her private property -- probably the more politic thing to do for the whole game would be to politely explain geocaching, apologize to the owner for the cacher who didn't follow the guidelines, quietly remove the cache, and email the owner with the situation, offering to return the cache to him for his replacement or archival. Then a possible follow-up to a reviewer with an email or an SBA log...

Or conversely, you can ratchet up the tension by ...

If a property owner 'directs' me to remove 'something' from their property, I will 'direct' the property owner to bite my buns and remove it himself. <_<:):unsure:

:huh::):D

But how about if you found a cache illegally placed, meaning it breaks the law.
Does it break the law? Are you sure? SBA with a follow up to contact@. Allow the community to monitor the geolitter and take appropriate actions.

How about a cache that does not conform to GC guidelines?
Leave it, SBA it. Guideline violations are not your concern beyond reporting it with an SBA.

What if the cache appears to put other cachers in imminent danger?
Is the threat manageable and known? If we're talking about an unknown, unseen danger I most certainly would not remove it. The longer they are on site the more danger they might be in. Let them find the cache. Place a note on top of the cache contents alerting them of the danger and advise them to also post an SBA. Take pictures and post your own SBA. Follow up with contact@.

Yes, in very limited circumstances. However, it is best to be part of the overall geocaching community and allow the community as a whole to work towards taking care of local problems. Don't go off as a rogue enforcer.

Cache Rescue Missions are a great way to clean up geolitter.

I think the only time I personally would take someone else's cache is if they requested it be done by the next finder or if a friend asked me to go out and retrieve it for him.

I've seen a number of good reasons for removing a cache from its location. The best one being that the property owner requested its immediate removal.

However, in that situation I think I would rehide it close by and email the coordinates with a detail description of the location to the owner. That would allow the owner to retrieve the cache and fix any problems himself.

I had one of my caches removed by a fellow cacher. I had spoken with the property owner and got the placement ok'd. She failed to communicate with her husband though and the first cacher out was confronted by him. The cacher removed the cache and rehid it and emailed me the details.

I remember at the time that even though I really appreciated him securing my cache and leaving it for me to retrieve, I still had a sense of violation. I know its just a cache, but I couldn't help feeling like someone had taken liberties with my property.

That's why I would not remove a fellow cacher's cache without being asked. I feel like even if the cache is illegally placed, it is still the owner's responsibility to deal with it.

I feel like even if the cache is illegally placed, it is still the owner's responsibility to deal with it.
I think most folks feel this way, but what about the owner who refuses to pull it or drags their feel?
Boy, that will leave a mark. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've removed two caches that had obviously turned to geolitter as a result of being abandonded after archival well over a year before. The condition of the caches and the fact that they clearly had not been found since archival made me believe that they were not listed on another site. In both cases, my emails and notes on the cache pages went unanswered.

The only other time when I think removal is appropraite (if not asked to do so by the cache owner) is in those situations when you are told to do so by a person in authority.

We had one of our caches removed and it was the best thing in the circumstances. The cacher found the cache in the act of being muggled. He explained the game to the youth involved and although they left the immediate cache area, they were still hanging around. He felt that the cache was in danger of further harm and took it with him.

He did email us immediately and said he would return the cache if that is what we wanted. As we had be suspicious of muggles we arranged for him to drop it off at our house.

So it all had a happy ending and it turned out the cacher had been a student of my husbands.

I found this a very acceptable circumstance for someone to remove a cache.

I feel like even if the cache is illegally placed, it is still the owner's responsibility to deal with it.

I think most folks feel this way, but what about the owner who refuses to pull it or drags their feel?

Then it is still not our place to pull the cache. Again, GC is a listing service. We are allowed to find someone else's property and interact with it. But at the end of the day, the cache does not belong to us.

You may want to post a note on the cache page warning others about the cache. You even have the option to post an SBA. And then, it may even get archived by the reviewer.

Even THEN, I would not pull the cache myself. As long as the owner is active, s/he may be in communication with the reviewer to settle the matter. We don't know everything that is going on with the cache since most of the communication would most likely be between the reviewer and the owner.

However, if the owner belonged to a caching group where they have a policy in effect that deals with archived AND abandoned caches, things change a little. First, by being a member of the group, I would think that the owner would have agreed to this policy ahead of time. Second, if the owner has not logged on or otherwise had anything to do with the cache in a substantial amount of time, then it could be considered abandoned. Again, this would be whatever policy the local group has agreed upon though. GC has no policy that I am aware of for the removal of abandoned caches other than you (not others) should remove your geolitter when you archive a cache.

Then it is still not our place to pull the cache.

To refine further, what if the cache could be used to harm geocaching as a viable hobby in your area. What if someone had the power to limit or prohibit geocaching if they found that cache? It might mean your caches would have to bye-bye, too?

So, now the cache is deemed illegal, it is archived, and a removal order has been issued. You gonna risk it?

I've moved two caches in my short geocareer.

One had been muggled by Hurricane Charley and his two cousins, and was subsequently disabled. Viv & I decided to try and find it. After a couple hours, we located the cache more than 500' away from the coordinates. We read the hint and made our best guess as to it's original hiding spot, then E-mailed the owner with our coordinates and a detailed description of the location. They located it where we hid it and reactivated the cache.

The other had been archived by someone who left the game. I communicated with a mutual friend, and received permission to remove it.

Then it is still not our place to pull the cache.

To refine further, what if the cache could be used to harm geocaching as a viable hobby in your area. What if someone had the power to limit or prohibit geocaching if they found that cache? It might mean your caches would have to bye-bye, too?

So, now the cache is deemed illegal, it is archived, and a removal order has been issued. You gonna risk it?

What do you mean by a "removal order"? If TPTB *ask* you (or the next finder) to remove it, that's one thing. If you simply remove it because YOU think it's bad for the sport/hobby/activity, well that's not your decision to make.

I would like to think that if you bring a cache like that to the attention of the local reviewer and the owner is unresponsive, you may be asked to do just that. In that case, it should be well documented in the cache history. Simply pulling a cache with no written explanation, though, is still wrong.

Who issued the removal order? The reviewer? The police? Why would they single me out to remove it? If the police or property owner demanded its removal while I was the unlucky cacher looking for it at the time, then yes, I would move (not take) it to a new location and rehide it. Then I would email the coords and details to the owner explaining why it HAD to be removed immediately.

I wasn't aware though that reviewers were issuing removal orders. And if they are, then how would they determine who to issue that order to?

Again, you have the SBA log available to you. A GC reviewer has the power to archive the cache, which means in essence that it is no longer available for logging on GC's site. You do not, however, have the right to go retrieve that cache. It does not belong to you, or Groundspeak for that matter.

Who issued the removal order? The reviewer? The police? Why would they single me out to remove it? If the police or property owner demanded its removal while I was the unlucky cacher looking for it at the time, then yes, I would move (not take) it to a new location and rehide it. Then I would email the coords and details to the owner explaining why it HAD to be removed immediately.

I wasn't aware though that reviewers were issuing removal orders. And if they are, then how would they determine who to issue that order to?

Again, you have the SBA log available to you. A GC reviewer has the power to archive the cache, which means in essence that it is no longer available for logging on GC's site. You do not, however, have the right to go retrieve that cache. It does not belong to you, or Groundspeak for that matter.

GB, give it up, man. We're never gonna find out why that cache got stolen.

Edited by ParrotRob

We found a cache across from the parking lot at the state capitol building a few months back. We were escorted off the property (cache included) by gentlemen in uniforms! No one else had reported problems while hunting the cache so we were a little surprised. It is possible that there was extra security that weekend since Prez Bush was going to speak at the OSU graduation...maybe he was also going to tour the capitol.

I think that was a very good reason to take the cache with us! I was in no mood to convince the officers to watch while we rehid the container! We placed that microcache container in the next large container we visited and then we called the cache owners. The micro was retrieved, and the listing disabled. Since then we have heard there has been a cache placed inside the capitol building. I think that one will join a few others on our IL.

I will admit to having removed one cache. It was in a tricky hiding spot. Or, that's where it was supposed to have been. I found it strewn about the landscape, with multiple tooth marks in the container. It had been muggled by a small varmint. Not knowing where to rehide it, and not being able to restore it to its original state, I thought of it as 'geotrash'. I e-mailed the owner, who accepted my diagnosis of the situation. The cache has been rehidden. I have found other caches strewn about the landscape, but in those circumstances, we knew where to rehide it. Come to think about it, those two have been archived.

Never, under any circumstance, would I remove a cache because I thought it to be dangerous or illegal. Those would not be my decisions to make. That's what we have bureaucracy for!

I've taken several caches. I can't remember exactly how many, six or seven, I think.

The Cleveland Metroparks has a geocaching permit program. The permits are good for up to a year.

Occasionally a cacher will obtain a permit, hide a cache, and then lose interest in the hobby. When the cache is still active after the permit expires the park's Geocaching Coordinator will attempt to contact the cache owner. If she is unsuccessful she will log an SBA on the cache with an explanation as to why it should be archived. When it is archived she will go and get the cache or ask one of her volunteers to get it. The cache will be kept in her office for a few weeks, and then "recycled".

As one of the CMP geocaching volunteers, the job of pulling these caches often falls to me.

So I don't have a problem with removing caches, as long as the person with the authority to have the cache removed asks me to.

Edited by RichardMoore

We found a cache across from the parking lot at the state capitol building a few months back. We were escorted off the property (cache included) by gentlemen in uniforms! No one else had reported problems while hunting the cache so we were a little surprised. It is possible that there was extra security that weekend since Prez Bush was going to speak at the OSU graduation...maybe he was also going to tour the capitol.

I think that was a very good reason to take the cache with us! I was in no mood to convince the officers to watch while we rehid the container! We placed that microcache container in the next large container we visited and then we called the cache owners. The micro was retrieved, and the listing disabled. Since then we have heard there has been a cache placed inside the capitol building. I think that one will join a few others on our IL.

In this case, it was very appropriate to move the cache. (not like you had a choice)

However, you did not take it, but rather moved it to a nearby cache and thus made it available for the owner to retrieve. I think that was the appropriate action in that case.

I've taken several caches. I can't remember exactly how many, six or seven, I think.

The Cleveland Metroparks has a geocaching permit program. The permits are good for up to a year.

Occasionally a cacher will obtain a permit, hide a cache, and then lose interest in the hobby. When the cache is still active after the permit expires the park's Geocaching Coordinator will attempt to contact the cache owner. If she is unsuccessful she will log an SBA on the cache with an explanation as to why it should be archived. When it is archived she will go and get the cache or ask one of her volunteers to get it. The cache will be kept in her office for a few weeks, and then "recycled".

As one of the CMP geocaching volunteers, the job of pulling these caches often falls to me.

So I don't have a problem with removing caches, as long as the person with the authority to have the cache removed asks me to.

This kind of falls into the category of the caching club example. When the owner placed the cache, they agreed to certain terms when they obtained the permit to hide it. As a CMP volunteer, that also explains why someone would single you out to pull the cache. Again, you were following a set policy and one to which the owner agreed to when hiding the cache.

I will even stretch it a little further and say that in the absence of such an agreement whether with a local caching group or a park service that I might be persuaded to retrieve the cache if a reviewer requested it specifically on the cache's page. But even with a specific public request from TPTB on the cache listing page, I still would not touch it unless I was sure that the owner had indeed abandoned the cache. If the owner is active, it's up to him/her to deal with the cache.

Don't get too hung up on who issued the removal order. Even without that, the other elements should suffice. The owner already knows the cache should be pulled, but hasn't.

Mainly because it wasn't stolen.

Before you go all half cocked about "what is your definition of stolen," what's the difference in moving a cache and emailing the coords, and mailing the cache to the owner?

What happens if when you hide the cache elsewhere and the owner never retrieves it? You gonna leave the geotrash?

In this case, it was very appropriate to move the cache. (not like you had a choice)

However, you did not take it, but rather moved it to a nearby cache and thus made it available for the owner to retrieve. I think that was the appropriate action in that case.

This kind of falls into the category of the caching club example. When the owner placed the cache, they agreed to certain terms when they obtained the permit to hide it. As a CMP volunteer, that also explains why someone would single you out to pull the cache. Again, you were following a set policy and one to which the owner agreed to when hiding the cache.

I will even stretch it a little further and say that in the absence of such an agreement whether with a local caching group or a park service that I might be persuaded to retrieve the cache if a reviewer requested it specifically on the cache's page. But even with a specific public request from TPTB on the cache listing page, I still would not touch it unless I was sure that the owner had indeed abandoned the cache. If the owner is active, it's up to him/her to deal with the cache.

Does "whipping a dead horse" have one 'p' or two?

Mainly because it wasn't stolen.

Before you go all half cocked about "what is your definition of stolen," what's the difference in moving a cache and emailing the coords, and mailing the cache to the owner?

What happens if when you hide the cache elsewhere and the owner never retrieves it? You gonna leave the geotrash?

No. But then again, I wouldn't take (OR move) a cache without EITHER the owner's permission or a clear mandate from someone in authority. But hey, that's just me. And if I *did* take one against the owner's wishes because someone at Groundspeak, or a cop, or a property owner demanded it, I certainly would be forthcoming in exactly why I did it - if nothing else to avoid any implication of impropriety.

Well, as I was logging one, a rather assertive fellow on an ATV with a rifle mounted on it said "This here's private property." then said a few other things and ended with "I think you best take that with you."

So I did.

If I was wrong, I think I'll live with it. Not sure I would've with any other decision! :anicute:

For the record, Groundspeak's volunteer cache reviewers do not issue "cache removal orders." We have no authority to do that.

Oh really? Then please explain this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ea-40a93d9e9a6c

We removed this cache. Still have the container, and my son constantly badgers me about using it to put out another cache. Seems like a good enough idea. This month perhaps.