Garmin 60cxs Memory Card Capacity

I just ordered a Garmin 60 csx, and am trying to find out what size memory card it can handle. 256 mb, 512 mb, 1gb, 2gb?? Any advantages to using smaller or larger capacity cards?

It uses a microSD card (sometimes still referred to as a "Transflash" card). At this time, 1gb is the largest size card available in this format (that I am aware of, anyway). There is no advantage to a smaller card (they don't use less power or anything), while a larger card will allow you to load more map data into your GPSr, or for using the 'log tracks to card' feature, give you more space for extended/high-frequency track logs.

FWIW, City Navigator NA v8 is something like 1.5gig and City Navigator Europe v8 is closer to 2gig so with a 1g card you couldn't even load all of either of these at once. Not that you really need to, but you can quickly burn up a lot of map space if you have City Navigator + Topos + Marine (BlueCharts) that you want to load for the area (and surrounding) you live in. The 1gig cards can be found for as little as $40 if you look enough, well worth it if you ask me.

Not sure if you get a 128 or 256 with a 60CSx, my 60Cx came with 64mb card

1gig max for now, it's a micro sd card, do not buy an ultra II.

1 gig will hold almost half of the CN7 or 8 USA maps.

Wats wrong with an uktra II card? Just wondering.

From what I have read on this and other forums, many people have experienced compatability problems with the Ultra II cards when used in the 'x' model GPSrs. The 'regular' cards from Sandisk, on the other hand, work fine. (The bundled card that comes with the unit is a 'regular' SanDisk, for that matter.)

There have been reports that they don't work with the 60CSx.

I have the SanDisk microSD 1GB SDSDQ-1024 card and have no problems.

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1841)...icroSD_1GB.aspx

I believe 1 GB is the largest size any manufacturer makes in microSD. microSD was originally called T-Flash and then TransFlash, before being named microSD when the format was adopted by the SD Card Association (SDA). It will be less expensive to buy it through someone other than Garmin.

More on microSD technology.

Edited by diadumenianus

They are supposedly high speed cards made for cameras and other applications. But for some reason they are not compatible with GPS. There have been reports on multiple GPS type sites of them failing in GPSs. It appears getting one is like throwing your money away.

The other card limit right now is Garmin has imposed a download limit of 2025 map segments, no matter what their size.

Rick

The other card limit right now is Garmin has imposed a download limit of 2025 map segments, no matter what their size.

But remember, you can also use the card to store tracks, custom POI's with icons and with the latest software there is a usb mass storage mode so you also have an extra 'secret' file store....

How do you get to the usb mass storage mode? I have the latest SW (both) but can't find it.

On the Main Menu page: Setup/Interface/USB Mass Storage, which is at the very bottom of your screen. Cheers!

[ed] Forgot to say when done just hit the power button once and it brings you out of USB mode.

Edited by Timpat

Morning!

I'm just getting used to my 60Cx and the software and I have a question. I have both City Nav and Blue Charts. I loaded Blue Charts for my area and then wanted to see what City Nav was all about on the r so I loaded some maps from that package. When I went back to locate Blue chart data, it appears that it had been wiped. I had to reload the charts.

I know it must be possible to store both nav and charts, what am I missing?

Thanks for a comment...

Morning!

I'm just getting used to my 60Cx and the software and I have a question. I have both City Nav and Blue Charts. I loaded Blue Charts for my area and then wanted to see what City Nav was all about on the r so I loaded some maps from that package. When I went back to locate Blue chart data, it appears that it had been wiped. I had to reload the charts.

Thanks for a comment...

Ahhhh Soooo #2

I just picked up from another active thread that you have to accumulate ALL the maps/charts you want on the r in Mapsource, at one time and then do the total transfer. Appearantly each time you do a transfer, all chart/map data on the r is automatically wiped....

I'll give that a try! <_<

Any update on the max MicroSD card size for a 60 Csx? I wondered whether a 2 GB card would work.

Reason I ask is: selected UK topo segments for a 3 week walking holiday in the UK would only just fit on a 64 MB. I had to ditch my home maps (Norway) and not include things that would have been useful, like maps at airports, temporary overnight points, etc.

Edit: I found this in the FAQ links:

"When the products were launched in Jan 2006, 512MB was the largest available on the market, so the manuals and Garmin's web site answered this question with "512MB". You can still find references with that outdated answer.

1GB and 2GB MicroSD cards becamse available later in 2006. They work fine. Garmin specifially warns against the SanDisk Ultra II 1 Gb.

In mid 2007, 4GB microSDHC cards became available. The Sandisk has been reported to work in a 76CSx with 3.3 firmware, so it's likely to work on similar models, too."

So I guess the answer is - as big as I can find, but stay away from Ultra II :D

Edited by steve_c

But remember, you can also use the card to store tracks, custom POI's with icons and with the latest software there is a usb mass storage mode so you also have an extra 'secret' file store....

I use a 2 gb SanDisk and it works fine. I have the entire US maps and some West Coast TOPOs on it. The info about the 2025 map segments is good to know as I tried to load all the TOPS for the US and after about 2 hours of trying to load it came back with the failure of too many maps, but didn't tell me the limit.

I am curious though about the Custome POI storage on the card. I use this function in case I don't have the computer around to download a new set of GSAK files, but when I try to use them it doesn't show the waypoint on the screen until I am at the end of the leg. Is there any way to get it to show them on the screen when you go that mode? Also when I load the file from the POI file I get the GC number rather than the name of the POI, is there a way to change that? I get all the infor when I select it, but I would like to have them show on the screen the way the Geocache .gpx files show.

Morning!

Thanks for a comment...

Every time you load maps, it deletes all old info and over writes with the new maps. So if you want to have both sets of maps, you have to pick all the maps you want on the unit at one time, (up to 2025 segments) and then transfer them all at once. Once you have them all on the unit you can then select which set of maps you want o have displayed by going to the map set up. I use this for streets vs. topos. They both won't show at the same time, so I use the street routing to get me to the parking area and then turn off the streets and show the topos.

I am curious though about the Custome POI storage on the card. I use this function in case I don't have the computer around to download a new set of GSAK files, but when I try to use them it doesn't show the waypoint on the screen until I am at the end of the leg. Is there any way to get it to show them on the screen when you go that mode? Also when I load the file from the POI file I get the GC number rather than the name of the POI, is there a way to change that? I get all the infor when I select it, but I would like to have them show on the screen the way the Geocache .gpx files show.

Check out this thread about custom POIs. It may help you with this issue. I keep an All Finds database on my microSD card. It's extrememly useful if I want to place a cache since I can easily check if my proposed location is too near to a cache I've previously found. The caches show by name. Read through that thread and you'll get some great info.