What Is Geocaching?

It's all three :drama:

There is some debate among geocachers about whether to categorize geocaching as a sport, game, or activity.

Sorry if this has already been done to death.

OK! But if we had to choose only one category, which would it be and why?

Edited by Johnmelad

Hmmm - it all depends on the cacher in question.

There is no doubt it's a game - the caches even say "official game piece" on them.

It's a sport in that it gets you walking and you can play it against others (in whatever way you choose). I've heard it described as GPS based orienteering which I think sums it up quickly to those who wonder what it is.

It's an activity, but then anything you do is an activity.

I always refer to it as a sport in the first instance as that's the way we like to think of it.

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

When trying to explain it to muggles and landowners I have most joy with Wayfairing without the posts (treasure hunting always seems to conjure up the idea of hoards decending enmass over a couple of days), although as our preference is for cunning caches (be they puzzles, multis or some weird trads that that seem to involve a lot of ground work) we prefer to view it as sport (as in you've no sporting chance of finding this one in one visit).

Anyhoo here's a definition of sport which encompasses our idea of GeoCaching: Sport is a physical activity involving large muscle groups, requiring strategic methods, physical training and mental preparation and whose outcome is determined, within a rules framework, by skill, not chance.

Chae

I'd say it's an activity. A game to me means that it is a competition where there may be a winner and loser(s). The only time it is a game is for the rush for those mad people who get up at the crack of dawn to bag a FTF or get an icon.

To me it's for the walks and visiting places, and the enjoyment of finding the box, so it's an activity or hobby.

I guess eveybody does it for their own reasons, and 'plays' it their own way!

There is some debate among geocachers about whether to categorise geocaching as a sport, game, or activity.

Sorry if this has already been done to death.

The framework that I am most familiar with, as a Geographer, is that of:

• Leisure - time during which the individual can make a completely free choice as to what activity they choose to pursue.
  • Recreation - a Leisure activity that involves physical activity
  • Sport - Recreation carried out within a defined set of rules

However having carried some research on Johnmelad's required categories by means of a swift trawl through the net I find that:

• Activity - a state in which motion can be observed in the individual
  • Game - a recreational activity carried out by members of the working class either singly or in a group (the latter is not to be encouraged)
  • Sport - a recreational activity carried out by members of the Upper Class with the objective of killing things.

So it would appear that the competitive aspect of sport is a purely arbitrary imposition, and indeed it can be quite cogently argued that in many sports rather than competing against another competitor one competes against oneself/environment/the person setting the activity, so for instance GeoCaching could be said to be a recreational activity carried out within a defined set of rules in which one competes against the cache placer. Whether it is a sport or not depends on your socio-economic class and on whether you intend to kill anything/one while you are engaged in GeoCaching! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

My old dads definition was:-

"Hunting, shooting and fishing are sports everything else is a game"

I think this was a bit of an old rural definition, but worth a mention.

Well, we certainly hunt for our caches which would suggest we have a sport.

That would make us sportsmen and women!

What makes/describes a Ceoaching sportsman/woman?

Can I suggest: A true Geocaching sportsman/women is: someone who is not jealous or selfish does not grudge others their participation and enjoyment, and is not careless of his/her safety, or the safety of others. :blink:

Edited by Johnmelad