Wasted Paper

7Crooks

I use a Magellan SporTrak Color and I am pretty green when it comes to caching.

The biggest problem I am having is the amount of paper and prep time used before going on on a hunt. I finally have a way to upload the waypoints to my GPS unit, however it doesn't load the details/hints or story behind the particular cache (does it???).

As a result, I load in 10 or so possible caches in my area but am forced to print a page (or 2) for each cache. Then I gotta keep em organized?

I am wondering if there is an easier way to accomplish my preparation faster and more efficiently. Can it be done paperless? Can this (description and hints) information be uploaded to my particular GPS? Does any GPS have this feature?

How would anyone be able to GeoCache if they are going across the country without internet access?

Can't wait to hear your suggestions.

Yes, there are several ways to cache paperless.

I had the same problem you had, my first step was getting the Premium Membership, which I see you have done.

Do you have GSAK? If not, get it. A link is on the resources page at Geocaching.com. It may be able to let you select what info is sent to the GPS. Depending on your GPS, you can load anywhere from 500 to almost unlimited caches. My GPS holds 1000 plus what is in the memory card (And that can be a lot.)

Now with that setup you will have more info, and can probably hunt most traditional caches without any printouts. But there are still the Multis and Puzzles with info you need. I just got a older Laptop from another cacher that I'm going to use to keep the cache info on. A program like GSAK or even Clayjar's Watcher will let you keep the data organized and keep notes on the caches.

Or you can get a PDA, I hear they can be had for $20- $30. That way you can pack the cache info with you anywhere.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Airmapper

As a premium member you can run something called a pocket query. This will allow you to download a file (.GPX) of all the coordinates and descriptions. You can then use a number of programs for either handheld of laptop computers to take the information with you. I use a program called Geocaching swiss army knife and GPXsonar on a Dell axim handheld when I go out.

The biggest problem I am having is the amount of paper and prep time used before going on on a hunt. I finally have a way to upload the waypoints to my GPS unit, however it doesn't load the details/hints or story behind the particular cache (does it???).

As a result, I load in 10 or so possible caches in my area but am forced to print a page (or 2) for each cache. Then I gotta keep em organized?

I am wondering if there is an easier way to accomplish my preparation faster and more efficiently. Can it be done paperless? Can this (description and hints) information be uploaded to my particular GPS? Does any GPS have this feature?

How would anyone be able to GeoCache if they are going across the country without internet access?

Well other than going "paperless", you can put web page in "printer friendly" mode and only get one page per cache, or try a "copy and paste" of pertinent information from web page and do actual paste of the info for two or three different caches on a single page... I know... More time at word processor editing stuff, but....

For instance here one of my caches edited down to basics...

Sculpture Habitat

N 36° 40.568 W 121° 45.835

UTM: 10S E 610448 N 4059657

WW 7.3mi from your home coordinates.

Difficulty: 1 out of 5 Terrain: 1 out of 5

Easy access, one can almost drive to it.

Any description would make it to obvious.

And it's not what your first impression will be when you enter the habitat (its not red and white). It is just ONE specific item, of the MANY items within the habitat.

I have only a "cross" to bare. (Decrypted Hints)

Another solution is print out data base (cache listing) from your up/down load software like EasyGPS if that is what you use. only problem it does not list the "clues"...

And yes there is the "paperless" solution. Usually using a hand held like a "PALM" or other handle PDA and having "pocket queries" (cache data) downloaded into it for reference ...

Dale

First thing I'll do is figure out how to use GSAK, if that loads sufficient info into my GPS, I'll be good to go. If that doesn't work, I'll see about breaking out my old PDA.

I guess I'd rather use the PDA over the stacks of paper.

The PDA actually works really well. CacheMate is a great program. It's customizable so you can have all different categories of caches for when you go on different trips. The best thing (I think) of using a PDA is getting to take all of the past logs with me.

My guess would be to either plan out the exact route/stops in advance and follow the plan. Or they load up the info for lots of caches in pda or laptop along possiable routes, and then look up caches as they go. Of course they might have to put in coords by hand, or have the a cable to transfer points between the gps, and whatever they're using to store cache info.

If you want to print fewer pages you could always read the info before hand and see if its 'worth' printing, or copy and paste descriptions into Word or something so you can reduce size and edit so you can get multiple descriptions on one page. However this will probably increase your prep time.

Of course they might have to put in coords by hand, or have the a cable to transfer points between the gps, and whatever they're using to store cache info.

Incidentally, does anybody offer a rugged Bluetooth-enabled GPSr (not a pocket pc, something like a GPS60)? It would remove the need for those pesky cables.

I used to copy and paste cache info into MS Word to save paper. After 15 months I got sick of that. I went and bought a Palm IIIxe on eBay for $10 and Cachemate for $8. That's the best $18 I've spent on anything for caching. No more paper, no more staying up late copying and pasting. Not only do you get the cache description, you get the previous logs. Those logs can be the difference between a find and a DNF sometimes.

Another big step toward efficiency is having GSAK and a GPSr that you can connect to the PC. Load hundreds of caches at a time in a matter of seconds. No more punching in coords manually, plus you have all the caches within miles of home in your GPSr. Just in case you find yourself somewhere with time to kill.

I took the last step toward caching efficiency a few weeks ago. I bought the maps and routing software for my GPSr. Now I don't have to make mental notes of the route between caches or having a roadmap open on the passenger's seat. I still check out my cache run in Google Earth the night before, but it's nice to have a routing GPSr in the field. I'm getting lost less, making fewer wrong turns, and likely saving gas.

Well,

I have downloaded several of the applications. My goal was to be able to load waypoints into my GPSr that include hints or additional information. Unfortunately after downloading the waypoint into the GPSr it does not include the notes or hints.

Being able to upload the waypoints is great, but as mentioned a second method seems necessary to assist with finding a cache, ie PDA or paper. Too bad the description in the GPS is not able to somehow show this inforamtion.

I did charge my PDA and get it ready to go, but I havn't quite figured out how to load the cache information onto it.

I do appreciate all your replies and suggestions.

Welcome Aboard!

Once you find your first cache you won't want to stop.

I'm a 3 week old newbie and loving it. Great way to spend time in the outdoors

which I love to do anyway. <_<

I agree with the rest of the post in regards to GSAK for the computer and Cachemate

for a PDA. They are both powerful programs, yet easy and user friendly! :unsure:

Well,

I have downloaded several of the applications. My goal was to be able to load waypoints into my GPSr that include hints or additional information. Unfortunately after downloading the waypoint into the GPSr it does not include the notes or hints.

Being able to upload the waypoints is great, but as mentioned a second method seems necessary to assist with finding a cache, ie PDA or paper. Too bad the description in the GPS is not able to somehow show this inforamtion.

I did charge my PDA and get it ready to go, but I havn't quite figured out how to load the cache information onto it.

I do appreciate all your replies and suggestions.

try This article , it's a very popular page, i used it last night to do up my PDA. very easy to follow. if i can, anyone can do it!

Another great option for Palm users is Plucker. CYBret has a great tutorial for it on GeocacherU site.

I suplement my awesome Plucker experience by replacing Pluckers desktop application with Sunrise's desktop app. It runs faster and allows you to easily get any pics from the cache pages to your pda. I also use Cache Log Book, which is a database for your pda which makes it a snap to keep records of all your cache hunts.

Plucker, Sunrise, and Cache Log Book are all easily found using Google. If you need help, send me a PM.

BTW, all the programs mentioned in this post are completely free.

Edited by sbell111

try This article , it's a very popular page, i used it last night to do up my PDA. very easy to follow. if i can, anyone can do it!

I just followed this article last week to use Cachemate and my new PDA for the first time. Print out the article and follow everything step by step, and you should have no problems. I love paperless caching!

I have a Verizon Wireless internet card for my PC. Because I use it at work all day with the power cord, it is always charged and ready to go. Generally I use the printer friendly feature if I'm planning a few caches to find. But I place my laptop in the car so I can reference clues, coords, etc. if I need to.

I very recently started geocaching with my teenage son who learned about it through his cousin's friend. My son and I will go someplace to eat, set up the laptop while we are eating, search and decide on caches to hunt, enter the coordinates into the GPS, and hand write the coordinates and clues for reference. We browse the the logs for any helpful information and jot down notes that may help. Yes, this can be time consuming, but for me, it's about reconnecting and spending time with my 15 year old son who otherwise has little in common with me. For us, it's not about how many caches we can find in a day, but rather enjoying one another and the geocaching experience to the fullest.

When we decide to do a day hunt or a trip, I suppose we will need to spend some time planning in advance, but will have the internet ready laptop available for quick reference.

After we find our planned caches, we sometomies flip open the laptop and choose another one or two to hunt if we have extra time.

I usually have my son do most of the online preparation and handling of the GPS. He loves anything that requires ciphering and deciphering. Just watching him work and discussing the process is very satisfying to me as a parent. We are using a Garmin 48 that my ex-wife bought for my birthday about 8 years ago. I had only used it maybe twice for any practical purpose until now. In june, my son reminded me that his birthday is July 4th and asked me to buy him a GPS, not knowing I already had one. I was puzzled because he never leaves his room or strays too far from his X-Box. I have tried to introduce him to countless activities that will get him out of his room and into the real world. When he began to describe geocaching, I knew instantly we would be spending more time together. We placed our first cache last night in the rain and are waiting for approval from our local reviewer. The cache will be listed under his screen name "Irregardless" and is called "Full Court Press". His screen name is a reflection of his anal retentive nature. He despises the uselessness or redundancy of things. Thus, the prefix in irregardless is useless because it would mean the same thing "regardless".

I've rambled enough and look forward to meeting other cachers in person so I can learn and further discuss our new hobby. Thanks for listening.

I am back at it again today. I think I made some progress.

Trouble righrt now, Pocket Queries. I ran my first test last night for the area I live.......seemed to work real good.

Today I ran a querie for our camping trip (leaving in a few hours).....please tell me you can run more than one query a week?

I havn't gotten the second email, but so far so good. I am pretty sure i will be able to DL the information to both sources------PDA / GPSr -------pretty sure. Not positive.

Any suggestions on the query?

You can run up to five PQs per day.

That is what I did for a road trip last spring. I ran about 20 different PQs along my route over a period of four days and put all the results in a new Road Trip database in GSAK.

Then I filtered them down so they were close to the highways I might travel.

In my Palm, I created new databases for each State I was traveling through. I had more than 2000 caches on it. :rolleyes:

You can run up to five PQs per day.

For some reason, I dunno my mistake, I was not able to run a second PQ today.

Here is a clip of the Geocaching website--------dunno if its a new policy or not.

You can receive a Pocket Query containing a list of all the caches you have found, along with your log entries. Running this query will add it to the current queue for the day.

*The Pocket Query can only run once every 7 days.

I finally had success getting everything loaded. I put 80 caches on the palm and the GPS BY HAND---because I couldn't get the PQ to work a second time with new coordinates. I am walking out the door for a 3 day camping trip and if all goes well---I find a cache on the way.

You ran the All Finds PQ. That one can only be run once a week.

You need to Create PQs around the coordinates of different locations where you will be, or you can use the new Caches Along A Route PQ . . .although that one might be experiencing some hiccups right now.

You can create up to 40 PQs and keep them saved in your PQ list for use whenever you need them.

Check out this link.

Paperless caching: Additional cost...GSAK $20 >Cachemate $8 >Googlearth/.kml free..You have GPSr and a PDA...Go For It :rolleyes: GSAK & Cachemate are great programs, well worth the one time $cost. If you get GSAk, You will learn the program...GSK has a forum to help you also...GFI
Of course they might have to put in coords by hand, or have the a cable to transfer points between the gps, and whatever they're using to store cache info.

Incidentally, does anybody offer a rugged Bluetooth-enabled GPSr (not a pocket pc, something like a GPS60)? It would remove the need for those pesky cables.

I really don't know, the only ones I've heard of off hand are PDA / PDA add-ons, but I don't pay attention to bluetooth stuff. You might want to ask this in the 'gps units and software' forum, maybe someone there will have a better answer.

are there no plans for a mobile/WAP type interface to geocacher.com?

http://www.geocaching.com/wap/

http://wap.geocaching.com/

one or both might work for you

Thanks, Welch! I've been doing this for two years and never knew about those pages. Excellent!

One thing that I've done is to hit the Printer Friendly icon, then Save the resultant page to my computer. Then I copy it to my Pocket PC, either through the synch cord or via SD card. It's like looking at the web page while offline and works pretty well. Sometimes I will even throw the map and icons away after the save. The page looks funny, but all the text is still there.

Karl

For a WAP connection use: http://wap.geocaching.com/. I use it all of the time on my Blackberry. However, this will be useless if you are out of the digital coverage area of your cell phone provider.

even if you're a premium member?!?!

:anicute:

This has no bearing on whether you are a premium Geocaching.com member or not. It depends on your cell phone provider (Verizon, Alltel, etc.). For WAP access, you need handheld internet access. This can only be done within a "Digital" coverage area (verses the analog coverage area).

For a WAP connection use: http://wap.geocaching.com/. I use it all of the time on my Blackberry. However, this will be useless if you are out of the digital coverage area of your cell phone provider.

:)

This has no bearing on whether you are a premium Geocaching.com member or not. It depends on your cell phone provider (Verizon, Alltel, etc.). For WAP access, you need handheld internet access. This can only be done within a "Digital" coverage area (verses the analog coverage area).

But I'm in the UK - we have no analogue coverage here anymore. So the WAP will work everywhere, even when there's no "digital" coverage? :anicute:

Or does that mean I've wasted my money on the Premium membership? :grin:

But I'm in the UK - we have no analogue coverage here anymore. So the WAP will work everywhere, even when there's no "digital" coverage? :anicute:

Or does that mean I've wasted my money on the Premium membership? :grin:

If WAP were the only benefit to premium membership, there would probably be no premium members. Mostly it is for PQ's and the new 'Cache along a Route' and notifications. :D:):huh:

The WAP site also works really well if you are using a Pocket PC. I plan to use this when visiting towns for work, getting all the caches via wi-fi in hotel lobbies and plotting out my caching over breakfast. This is very handy info, thanks!

Karl

I always try to go paperless unless its a multi which involves a large amount of letter-digit substitution to find the clues. I often use the WAP site to check details, hints, previous logs etc, and sometime also cut and past the details into a note item on my phone, just in case there is no GPRS coverage.

Although having said that, I do have a sizable wadge of cache printout stuffed in the glovebox of the car!

My method of caching paperlessly is to snap photos of the cache descriptions on my computer screen. I can then read them on the display of my digital camera. This works very well and has the additional benefit that I don't need any extra equipment. I have my camera with me anyway while caching.

My method of caching paperlessly is to snap photos of the cache descriptions on my computer screen. I can then read them on the display of my digital camera. This works very well and has the additional benefit that I don't need any extra equipment. I have my camera with me anyway while caching.

That gives 'screenshot' an entirely new meaning :grin:

But I'm in the UK - we have no analogue coverage here anymore. So the WAP will work everywhere, even when there's no "digital" coverage? :)

Or does that mean I've wasted my money on the Premium membership? :)

:grin:

Even in the UK WAP wont work when you have no cellphone signal - this is quite a common occurance in certain remote areas of scotland - been there :~)

But I'm in the UK - we have no analogue coverage here anymore. So the WAP will work everywhere, even when there's no "digital" coverage? :D

Or does that mean I've wasted my money on the Premium membership? :laughing:

:mad:

Even in the UK WAP wont work when you have no cellphone signal - this is quite a common occurance in certain remote areas of scotland - been there :~)

That's just so disappointing - next you'll be telling me my GPSr won't work without batteries....

I'm still quite new to this site... but still, isn't the little " B) " after a post considered a "I'm not being serious" type clue?