Geko 201 Vs Geko 301

I do a fair amount of backpacking and camping and thought the geko would be a good choice for me. I dont care too much about maps, as long as i can get to my waypoint. I was looking at the geko 201 and the 301, and the only real difference that I see is that the 301 has a magnetic compass (but I always bring a traditional compass) and an altimeter (which I guess can be useful). What I was wondering is who has experience w/ both, and which one did you like more? Or, if you've only had experience w/ one, what was that like? My aunt just introduced me to geocaching and I'm really excited, she gave me my first TB! I cant wait to trade it, but first I gotta have the right equipment, please help!

The Fox & The Hound

I use a Geko 201, but not during long hikes. The battery life is rather short, especially if you use Normal or WAAS mode for better response. The rated 12 hours is for using Battery Saver mode with a good set of AAA alkaline batteries. Expect about 8 hours, maybe a bit more. Carrying spare batteries is always a good idea.

The electronic compass and the barometric altimeter are definitely luxuries, especially since you always carry a traditional compass. The Geko 201 is quite accurate in figuring out elevation by calculation when it has locks to enough satellites.

I like my unit. Accurate and light weight. :drama:

I have both a Magellan Sportrak Map and a Garmin Geko201. They both do what I need them to do. But the little Geko is so much handier. I didn't need the extras that the Geko 301 had, so didn't see the need to spend the extra money. But I wanted more then what the Geko 101 offered. The Geko 201 is perfect for me with its ability to hook up to the computer to download waypoints.

I may buy better units in the future, I am thinking about a Magellan eXplorist 400. But I think the Geko201 will always be a bit special for me. It will be a classic I think. So small, lightweight, accurate, etc.

Always take along extra batteries of course, no matter what unit you buy. A few extra sets of AAA batteries for the Geko take up little room and add little extra weight. And add a compass and topo map for back-up if you are heading off-road into untracked wilderness.

I've used a Geko 201 for all of my caching, so far. (56 finds)

The 201 is definately the sweet spot in the Geko line. In my opinion, the 101 is crippled by not having a computer interface, and the extra cost of the 301 just isn't worth it, for what you get.

A fresh set of batteries lasts longer than I do, for a day of caching. It also works just fine with rechargable batteries. If your backpacking takes you away from civilization for extended periods, you will have to plan to carry spare batteries.

I like the small size of the Geko. It makes it very easy to carry around for what I call opportunistic caching. I keep it loaded with 500 waypoints that cover my usualy range of travels. If I find myself somewhere with a little time to kill, I can whip out my Geko and see what is nearby. With a larger unit I'd be less inclined to do that.

My only beef with the Geko is the design of the power button. The button sticks out from the case and it is VERY easy to accidentally turn the unit on if it is stashed in a pack or pocket. A simple fix is to spend $0.49 on a rubber O-ring just big enough to fit around the button, and glue it to the case. This creates a guard around the power button that prevents it from getting bumped.

Perhaps I am mistaken but I believe that the newer Gekos no longer has the problem with the power button that the earlier Gekos had. The newer Gekos have a minor design change that recessed the power button more into the case, and also redesigned the case a bit to have a little ridge that goes 50% - 60% of the way around the recessed button. This gives much better protection from it getting accidently turned on.

I bought a small sturdy cell phone case that fits my Geko 201 perfectly, like it was made for it. In the year that I have had my Geko 201, using it for geocaching, and during back-packing and canoeing trips, I have never, not even once, had it turn on accidently. Pictures that I have seen of the first Gekos that came out did show the power button sticking up more, and it had no little protective ridge around the button.

Just maked sure that you buy one of the newer Gekos, not one of the earlier ones, and there should be no problem with it turning on accidently. Check that the power button is recessed more then the other buttons, and the little ridge is there, before you buy.

Even though I just went out today and bought the Magellan eXplorist 400 Wilderness Package, I still love my little Geko 201. No, it's not for sale. :(

Edited by Cato

This sounds like the gps unit for me! thanks to everyone who replied, i really needed the feedback. I wasn't too sure if I'd like the geko, esp. when i had read about the power button issues, but now i feel confident that it'll be more good than bad. I can't wait to go geocaching, and if anyone has more info, please feel free to post!

thanks again guys, all of the comments have been very useful!!!!!

Craig H. AKA The Hound

Hey guys!

I'm not sure if anyone is keeping up w/ this thread, but I'll post anyhow.

I got my geko 201 and it's great!! It got me dead on to my first cache with in 10 feet. the power button is sunk in and you have to hold it for about two seconds for it to turn on. I havent tried the games yet b/c i'm having too much fun geocaching! typing in the cords. manually isn't hard, nor it is really a big deal, i can put in a cord. in about 2 min. This week i'm going up to maine w/ my father, and of course, i have about 20 different geocaches i want to go to, now i see why people buy the usb cable.

but i digress...small cheap unit, great for backpacking, and quick hikes. I think that this is a great starter unit for anyone, or if you need a second unit, i'd suggest this.

I LOVE MY GEKO!!

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice and suggestions!

Craig (aka The Hound)

Edited by The Fox & The Hound

Hey guys!

I'm not sure if anyone is keeping up w/ this thread, but I'll post anyhow.

I got my geko 201 and it's great!! It got me dead on to my first cache with in 10 feet. the power button is sunk in and you have to hold it for about two seconds for it to turn on. I havent tried the games yet b/c i'm having too much fun geocaching! typing in the cords. manually isn't hard, nor it is really a big deal, i can put in a cord. in about 2 min. This week i'm going up to maine w/ my father, and of course, i have about 20 different geocaches i want to go to, now i see why people buy the usb cable.

but i digress...small cheap unit, great for backpacking, and quick hikes. I think that this is a great starter unit for anyone, or if you need a second unit, i'd suggest this.

I LOVE MY GEKO!!

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice and suggestions!

Craig (aka The Hound)

Thanks for this topic Craig!!

I have been looking at buying a GPSr as I have just discovered geocaching. Have not ventured out yet but have discovered a few caches are in my local area and read up on the etiquette! I was convinced I needed an etrex but they are very hard to come by and even secondhand on ebay are not going cheap. I had a brainwave this afternoon and went into our local outdoor shop - found two geko's: a 201 and a 101. The woman in the shop was very helpful and it turned out that they were the last in stock and were being reduced. I got the 201 for £80, which chuffed me to bits.

Its lovely to read all the positive posts about the Geko and how attached you have becme to them. I love mine already and can't wait to get out with it. Just need the right size batteries! <_<