"found At: Time" ?

jupilli

Heips,

we have had some discussion here in Finland if adding the finding time of the cachebox could be added to all log entries. Today some cachers log the time into the text, but most obviously cannot remember to do it.

Could it be possible to have an additional field in the 'Post new log' page so that everybody who logs has to enter the date and the time of the find ??

PS: This has probably already been discussed, but I was unable to find the Topic !! Sorry !!

I agree it would be a nice thing to have. Just imagine having the online logs ordered the same way they would appear in the real log book.

On the other hand, I sometimes cannot recall the exact time of finding and logging the cache. (The day is usually not a problem :drama: ) and I am not sure that it would be easy to implement.

I like the idea. I nearly always write the time in the physical log in the cache (just in case another cacher is hunting it on the same day, they can see by how long they missed the pleasure of meeting me).

Of course, when I find a cache, I always mark it as found in Cachemate and use the handy-dandy "Mark Time" feature so I know what time I found it when I get back home.

I'm sure there are folks who would like the geocaching.com web site to store the time they found a cache along with what is done now, namely the date they found a cache and the fact they found the cache at all.

I think it's a reasonable request, however it's not a feature I would presonally make use of as I don't really care over the long haul to remember the exact time I found a particular cache.

Heips,

I would like to point that I am looking after the time stamps for ALL logs, not only my own loggings. E G it might be nice to understand if there are 'active hours for cachers' like there are for fishermen when they are after the fish??

I doubt it would work. I'd bet most people don't care what time they or anyone else found a cache. I'd bet if forced to enter a time, most would just insert some random time, or if already filled in with current time, like the date field has the current date, they'd just leave the "default" time. I doubt there would be very many people who would actually keep track of the time of their find and enter the actual time online.

I like the idea, BUT, I really only like it on new caches, after the cache has a few finds against it I don't think I have any interest in the time.

Maybe just to have the time available for say the first 5 finders, or finds that are logged the first two days or something along those lines. FTF isn't always FTL (first to log).

If I'm close to FTF, I'm always interested to know how far I missed it by (I've only got 2 FTF's I think). Did I miss it by 5 minutes, or did I miss it by the entire day? Thats my main interest in logging the time.

After the first handful of finds, I really have no interest in the time unless its somwhow applicable to the find (ie, I found this in the dark, I wouldn't have seen it unless the high noon sun was hitting it just right, etc.), but if thats the case, the cacher will most likely log at least a general sense of the time without being prompted.

I already write the time in the logbook and in my on-line log.. I don't think it should be mandatory.

And, another way to keep time is to look at the track on the computer and see where you didn't move for 2-5 mins around the cache. If you GPS's time is right, you should know exactly when you found the cache!

Edited by GrosseFamille

97% of the time I write the time I visited in the cache log and the online log. I'm one of the ones who likes to keep track because it is amazing to see how close you often are when missing other cachers on location. And every year or so, I like to go back and read through some of my logs and every recorded detail helps me remember the hunt I had that day and the timeline of the caches I found.

I do agree with others who have stated that most cachers don't care about the time and would not want to bother with that feature.

I'd use it, though :rolleyes:

Heips,

we have had some discussion here in Finland if adding the finding time of the cachebox could be added to all log entries. Today some cachers log the time into the text, but most obviously cannot remember to do it.

Could it be possible to have an additional field in the 'Post new log' page so that everybody who logs has to enter the date and the time of the find ??

PS: This has probably already been discussed, but I was unable to find the Topic !! Sorry !!

I would use it! I anyway write down what I find and adding four numbers to present the current time from my wristwatch is not really an effort, and even if it was - no pain no gain.

It would enable new interesting statistics, like finds/hour, geocachers/m^2, geokm/hour etc. etc... :rolleyes:

And it would take less space in the database than writing the time in ASCII in the log message.

Personally I think it is a bad idea, don’t even date my notes in the cache log books anymore, the reason, back when we used to power hunt caches would wait till we got home to log on line and sometimes put the wrong date on the log have had two cache owners delete my finds because they went out to their caches and saw the log date. After contacting them about the deletions they both told me something like “”that I was there on the 13th not the 14th”’ would hate to see this practice done in minutes

BTW it was in two different areas

While I do have that information handy because it is captured by Cache Log Book on my pda, I don't really see the benefit to making this change to the website.

Well it might not be important to most, but I think it could be a benefit. Provided all Found Caches in your profile were displayed in exact found order. And since I usually don't record the time I find a Cache, I would probably use something like:

12:01

12:02

12:03

ect.

Make it optional AND editable.