City Select V7 Vs City Navigator V8

I recently purchased a Garmin GPSr and City Select v7. I'm wondering if anybody know what the difference is between City Select and City Navigator is, besides updated (I assume) maps.

I've also heard a rumor that Navigator, rather than re-routing you if you miss a turn, tells you to U-turn. Does anybody know if that's true? :drama:

Thanks for the help.

I recently purchased a Garmin GPSr and City Select v7. I'm wondering if anybody know what the difference is between City Select and City Navigator is, besides updated (I assume) maps.

I've also heard a rumor that Navigator, rather than re-routing you if you miss a turn, tells you to U-turn. Does anybody know if that's true? :drama:

Thanks for the help.

Almost all routing software tries to get you to do a U-Turn first, then they re-route if you ignore them.

The maps sections are larger in Ver. 8. See elsewhere in the forum. :lol:

Almost all routing software tries to get you to do a U-Turn first, then they re-route if you ignore them.
I've only had my VistaC (City Select V7) request a U-turn once. It did actually crash once, however, when I made a wrong turn into a cul-de-sac.

But I spend a lot of time watching the "Calculating . . ." bar when it wants me to go someplace that I have a better idea of. I have finally decided that long-range navigation is better done with a MAP and that when you get close turn on the GPS.

On my 76CS and 76CSx you can set it to never suggest a U-Turn. However, that can make it tell you to go a loooooooooong way out of your way sometimes. I am really impressed with the recalculation time on the CSx - it is lightning fast compared to the CS. I was totally blown away the first time it did a recalculation - I actually missed it and only noticed because of the beep.

As for the mapping software I'll stick with City Select v7 since I already own it. I really doubt that they did enough updating to make it worth me paying for City Navigator v8.

On my 76CS and 76CSx you can set it to never suggest a U-Turn. However, that can make it tell you to go a loooooooooong way out of your way sometimes. I am really impressed with the recalculation time on the CSx - it is lightning fast compared to the CS. I was totally blown away the first time it did a recalculation - I actually missed it and only noticed because of the beep.

As for the mapping software I'll stick with City Select v7 since I already own it. I really doubt that they did enough updating to make it worth me paying for City Navigator v8.

Thrak,

Have you noticed that your 76CSX volume is not as loud as your 76CS? I have a 60CS and a 60CSX and notice a difference. I have heard that other 60 series owners have noticed the same thing and wondered if it translated to the 76 series as well?

Thrak,

Have you noticed that your 76CSX volume is not as loud as your 76CS? I have a 60CS and a 60CSX and notice a difference. I have heard that other 60 series owners have noticed the same thing and wondered if it translated to the 76 series as well?

I’m not Thrak, but I can tell you that I have placed my 76CS next to my 76CSX and there is absolutely no difference in the volume of the sounds. The timing of the beep for the approaching turn seems to be a little later on the x series, but varies according to speed.