Strange Structures

Harry Dolphin

KV1277

Okay, so I'm a suburbanite. I guess all you people understand these things. Never, in my worst delerium, have I even contemplated, or imagined the need for, a cattle pass. We have these in New Joisey?!?

That's what the description says: AT A CONCRETE CATTLE PASS, IN THE TOP OF THE EAST END OF THE NORTH HEADWALL.

It seems that there is a rather large culvert under the railroad tracks at this point, to permit cattle to pass freely from one side of the railroad tracks to the other side. This is called a 'cattle pass'. What won't they think of next?

Out here on th left coast, many underpasses of all sorts have been converted to a "wildlife underpass". What used to be a "cattle pass" is now out here a politically correct "wildlife underpass". We have a nearby freeway exit that was seldom used, and has been closed to all vehicles and is now also a "wildlife underpass" connecting two sections of a State Park. One of our daughters is a 'naturalist' of sorts, and says the wildlife NEVER uses those. One has a motion triggered camera in it, which likely only gets pictures of hiker's legs and biker's wheels.

IIRC that was an issue with the Alaska pipeline. There was the fear that the wildlife would not be able to commute between the two sides of the pipeline. So they built in underpasses. I have no idea if the wildlife use the underpasses or just jump over the pipe.

IIRC that was an issue with the Alaska pipeline. There was the fear that the wildlife would not be able to commute between the two sides of the pipeline. So they built in underpasses. I have no idea if the wildlife use the underpasses or just jump over the pipe.

LOL, jump over it thats a good one <_<:unsure::huh: in case you have not seen the pipeline here are a few pics. :)

pipeline3.jpg

pipeline2.jpg

pipeline1.jpg