Vacation In Manhattan

Hack5338

Am coming to Manhattan next week--07/08/06. Would like to know of some relatively easy caches 1/1 and big enough for some trades, probably no micros. Any located in the "Ground Zero area or Empire State Building areas would be appreciated. :D Thanks!!! I will be bringing some Travel Bugs!!

Hi There!!! there are not that many caches in the city that can handle trades ....unfortuently....but we are working on it! around the empire state building ground zero there are a few caches--i think there is atleast one down there that can hadle trades. Your other options for trades are the folow me home series in caches that are in central park and on the east river--the one in the high 40s on the west side is a micro. in addition to those--in central park you have Swamp Gas (i think the largest in manhattan) which is currently disabled. Lakeside Veiw, which is very nice but some people have difficulty with even though its not that hard of a cache. also in the park you have Squealys Little Bits and Pieces, which can handel trades. If you are going uptown to the metropolotian museum of art you can stop buy Liz's Joules which can handle trades and is a good urban cache. Also buy liz's joules is Peter Pan which currently is missing and i am unsure if it will be there when you go. Besides those there arnt that many that can do trades...you can always contact one of the local cachers if you whould like for one of us to pick them up. I hope this helps, just write back here or send me and email if you have any other questions about NYC Caching, NYC gerneral questions, or anything else about urban caching. :D

I was there last week and stayed around the corner from the Empire State Building.

There is a virtual at the Empire State Building. So click on that and see whats close by.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...0f-68a2ab5de872

There is a Benchmark on the 86th floor to & the building is a bench to.

Don

The benchmark on the 86th floor KU3601 is a disk buried under the deck. It cannot be found, nor logged. The bronze plaque commemorates the traingulation station disk, but is not the benchmark!

The antenna KU3602 is a valid benchmark.

The benchmark on the 86th floor KU3601 is a disk buried under the deck. It cannot be found, nor logged. The bronze plaque commemorates the traingulation station disk, but is not the benchmark!

Well, a quick look at the benchmark's page proves that while it likely can't be found, that doesn't mean it can't be logged. Only you and one other person logged it (correctly) as "Did not find"

If you would like to drop off some tbugs send me an email and I can meet up with you (I work in Manhatten). The problem is that there are not many cachers in the city and most nice public spots either have surveilance or just too many passers by to hide a large cache nearby.

If you would like to drop off some tbugs send me an email and I can meet up with you (I work in Manhatten). The problem is that there are not many cachers in the city and most nice public spots either have surveilance or just too many passers by to hide a large cache nearby.

Thanks for the info. I can see with the heavy urban traffic, that any trade size caches are pretty difficult.

Hi There!!! there are not that many caches in the city that can handle trades ....unfortuently....but we are working on it! around the empire state building ground zero there are a few caches--i think there is atleast one down there that can hadle trades. Your other options for trades are the folow me home series in caches that are in central park and on the east river--the one in the high 40s on the west side is a micro. in addition to those--in central park you have Swamp Gas (i think the largest in manhattan) which is currently disabled. Lakeside Veiw, which is very nice but some people have difficulty with even though its not that hard of a cache. also in the park you have Squealys Little Bits and Pieces, which can handel trades. If you are going uptown to the metropolotian museum of art you can stop buy Liz's Joules which can handle trades and is a good urban cache. Also buy liz's joules is Peter Pan which currently is missing and i am unsure if it will be there when you go. Besides those there arnt that many that can do trades...you can always contact one of the local cachers if you whould like for one of us to pick them up. I hope this helps, just write back here or send me and email if you have any other questions about NYC Caching, NYC gerneral questions, or anything else about urban caching. :D

thanks--- I don't think I'll be spending much, if any, time in central park. Do you happen to know the cache name of the one by ground zero?? Or maybe some of the coordinates by it??

thanks--- I don't think I'll be spending much, if any, time in central park. Do you happen to know the cache name of the one by ground zero?? Or maybe some of the coordinates by it??

There aren't any caches at or near ground zero and hopefully, out of respect, it will stay that way. The nearest ones are a couple of virts to the south east.

also i think it whould probably violate the guidlines--it is a large target...and the owner ship of the site and who has control over it is still a little dicey--just look at the plans for the memorial(i won't rant about that)--but i am willing to do the same, we can try to meet up and i am willing to pick up TBs.

also i think it whould probably violate the guidlines--it is a large target...and the owner ship of the site and who has control over it is still a little dicey--just look at the plans for the memorial(i won't rant about that)--but i am willing to do the same, we can try to meet up and i am willing to pick up TBs.

Appreciate all the help on this one. One last question....I'll be crossing the Brookly Bridge at some point, do they allow any cashing on the bridge?? Don't exactly know what my schedule will be like, so I don't want to set any times to trade the TB's. I'll get them circulated out East eventually. <_<

Appreciate all the help on this one. One last question....I'll be crossing the Brookly Bridge at some point, do they allow any cashing on the bridge?? Don't exactly know what my schedule will be like, so I don't want to set any times to trade the TB's. I'll get them circulated out East eventually. <_<

No again its against the guidlines

Guidelines for Cache Listings:

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

* Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

so no......