All Good Things Must End

Lemon Fresh Dog

What did you trade for the Jayhawk coin? It says alot about you. :)

Hmmm...last time I checked, TBs and Geocoins aren't generally considered swag affected by the "even-trade" rule. If you can help them move, then it's okay to just take them. At the time I found the coin, I took it from its place and logged it per the originator's wishes.

As far as the rest of your statement, don't you EVER question my integrity in geocaching or life in general again...got it?

I do not lie, cheat or steal, and as such I fully resent your implication and personal attack.

I've been reading this post for quite awhile and I have to say this is by far the weakest of a number of arguments I've heard so far over legal ownership. I'm not sure why the word abandonment is being used since every coin has a mission statement. By your very argument, the next time you park your car in a public space I have every right to take your "abandoned" property. It was left in a public space so it must be free to whoever wants it, right? Wait, you say, that car is registered in my name. Wait, you say, I paid for that car. Really? I paid for my coins. I registered my coins as my private property. Lending them to friends or putting them in a public space is not giving them away.

I think you make an interesting point but your premise is a bit flawed. The car you mention would still be mine and not considered abandoned since I have every intention of returning to it regularly and indeed will return to it regularly. You cannnot do that with a geocoin. You set it free and it's gone. You aren't going to return to it physically on a regular basis.

Say you have a diamond ring...a big, shiny one with a huge setting...you find a trashcan and throw it in...you walk away without so much as a thought...days, weeks, months and years go by and you never return to that trashcan...now, you know that trashcan is frequented by some people on a sporadic basis, but you dare not go back to get that ring...some time later, some guy finds that ring...you've moved on with your life and done your thing...he takes that ring and sells it...you can't really cry foul over it because you haad the chance to get your ring back but you didn't...you just let it languish by itself.

Someone's going to take over that property because you didn't show the interest enough to keep it within your possession. It's like tossing a dollar bill on the ground and walking away...you can't exactly get angry if some guy picks it up five daays later and spends it.

Someone's going to take over that property because you didn't show the interest enough to keep it within your possession. It's like tossing a dollar bill on the ground and walking away...you can't exactly get angry if some guy picks it up five daays later and spends it.

That might be true for swag I leave in a cache, but not the bug that is linked to my account and has my instructions on what to do with it attached to it.

DO NOT KEEP. This is no ordinary geocaching trading item!

This bug is traveling from Geocache to Geocache on a very specific mission.

If you do not intend to log your visit onto the geocaching.com web site, please DO NOT TAKE THIS ITEM. Its travels and progress require you to log that it is being taken from this geocache. You will also need to log when you place it in another geocache. It's easy!

Those instruction don't make it sound like I've discarded my bug. In fact I went out of my way to make sure you don't treat it like trash.

I think you make an interesting point but your premise is a bit flawed. The car you mention would still be mine and not considered abandoned since I have every intention of returning to it regularly and indeed will return to it regularly. You cannnot do that with a geocoin. You set it free and it's gone. You aren't going to return to it physically on a regular basis.

O.k. - first I need to point out to you that we ARE TALKING ABOUT A CACHE that contained (as a perminate part of the cache) geocoins. And the owner of the cache has already said that he fully and completely maintained (often returning to) his cache.

As far as the rest of your statement, don't you EVER question my integrity in geocaching or life in general again...got it?

I do not lie, cheat or steal, and as such I fully resent your implication and personal attack.

Secondly no one said "you're a thief" -- but you've pretty much come right out and said not only that you think it's o.k., but that you don't think it's stealing --- even though the majority of other people who play this game disagree with you. We are all saying it's WRONG to take someone else's coin and your response is "it's not illegal"???? Give me a break. Your words DO tend to show a certain mind set.

Also - as far as the djayhawk coin --- if you didn't trade fairly for it because you took it with the intention of passing it on to another cache. Then by all means -- PASS IT ON. Because right now it LOOKS like you just took it & kept it.

And lastly -- on the subject of personal attacks --- WATCH WHO YOU'RE CALLING RIDICULOUS BOYO!! :)

Windrose

Edited by Windrose

Hmmm...last time I checked, TBs and Geocoins aren't generally considered swag affected by the "even-trade" rule. If you can help them move, then it's okay to just take them. At the time I found the coin, I took it from its place and logged it per the originator's wishes.

You're right I have crossed the line. Yor're words and actions say enough without my thoughts on the subject. I apologize.

You're right I have crossed the line. Yor're words and actions say enough without my thoughts on the subject. I apologize.

You didn't cross any line. You simply asked what he traded for the coin (what did he consider a "fair" trade). If he had replied that he had left the oft menioned "diamond ring" no one would fault him for keeping the coin.

(and, yeah, I got the "subtle" sarcasm, but I'm sure it went over his head, since he "knows" he didn't do anything wrong.)

Windrose

Say you have a diamond ring...a big, shiny one with a huge setting...you find a trashcan and throw it in...you walk away without so much as a thought...days, weeks, months and years go by and you never return to that trashcan...now, you know that trashcan is frequented by some people on a sporadic basis, but you dare not go back to get that ring...some time later, some guy finds that ring...you've moved on with your life and done your thing...he takes that ring and sells it...you can't really cry foul over it because you haad the chance to get your ring back but you didn't...you just let it languish by itself.

I don't think the premise is flawed, but you are entitled of course to your own opinion. The car mentioned is yours and you intend to keep it. The coin I mentioned is mine and I intend to retrieve it after it's traveled for a time. That is percisely why it has a mission statement. It is assigned to travel to a specific place to be picked up and returned to me.

Your analogy of the ring ignores everything I stated before. The coin is not being thrown away. It is not being put in a public place. It is being put in a secreted location known only to a select few who have all agreed to abide by the rules which state that I own the coin. It can, like any object, be stolen, but it has not been abandoned or thrown away carelessly without intention of retrieval. If I lend you my bike, I want it back. If I lend it to you and you lend to someone else with my permission, I still want it back. Each time it's lent with my permission to a new person, it still remains my property. I want it back eventually, but I'm letting other people borrow it for a very specific amount of time. No person is permitted to hold it longer than two weeks without permission and eventually I'll get it back. I have the choice to go retrieve it at anytime and anywhere. Whether I do so remains my choice, but it's still my property. :)

If I lend you my bike, I want it back. If I lend it to you and you lend to someone else with my permission, I still want it back. Each time it's lent with my permission to a new person, it still remains my property. I want it back eventually, but I'm letting other people borrow it for a very specific amount of time. No person is permitted to hold it longer than two weeks without permission and eventually I'll get it back. I have the choice to go retrieve it at anytime and anywhere. Whether I do so remains my choice, but it's still my property. :)

It kind of reminds me of this program. I bet they don't feel they are relinquishing ownership by letting other people take them for a short time.

BikeShare

BikeShare is an innovative community bicycle-lending program in downtown Toronto that provides its members with access to a fleet of bright yellow bikes.

Just show your Season's Pass at any conveniently located hub and ride away on a retro single-speed bike equipped with lock, bell, basket and reflector tape. Use the bike for a couple of hours or the whole day and then drop it off at any hub - not just the one you signed it out of.

Rules

You can keep the bikes out for up to 3 days. However, please don't take advantage of this option on a regular basis. The BikeShare program works best when pass holders return bicycles after daily use.

A $3 late fee will be charged for every day a bike is overdue. We will only phone you once to inform you that the bike is overdue. If you incur a week of fines and have not been in contact with our office, your Season's Pass will be cancelled.

Bikes can and do get stolen. If you keep a BikeShare bike overnight, take the bike inside or lock it securely. If you have a second BikeShare bike stolen, your Season's Pass will be cancelled. NEVER LEAVE A BIKESHARE BICYCLE UNLOCKED.

If you're riding after dark, lighting is your responsibility. The bikes have reflective tape but by law you are required to have a front light and rear reflector.

Well.... this conversation sort of sprung-up due to my original post.

In my original post -- I don't think I asked or questioned the legal issues of taking coins. In fact, I don't care what the legal issues are -- it simply is irrelivant.

The only way that legality enters into the equation is if we seek to enter a conflict and have the law on our side.

This is a MORAL issue. Travel Bugs and coins are part of a game with clearly defined objectives and norms. Taking them out of play is clearly WRONG.

If someone wishes to state that there is nothing LEGALLY wrong with taking coins and TB's, then they are missing the point and/or trying to shield the issue (either to justify their own poor behaviour and/or to somehow come across as "smart:).

They are "right", but they are absolutely WRONG. Such is the law. In many cases the law will give a person the "right" to perform some activity that is morally repugnant. Lawyers have a somewhat unfairly earned reputation based upon this -- n'est pas?

Do not argue the legality -- it is a red-herring.

Ask one question only:

1) Was taking the coins from my cache the right thing to do?

That is the only answer that matters. DO NOT change the question to "Was taking the coins from my cache LEGAL?"

That answer is completely not at issue here. When I placed a cache in the woods, I effectively littered. So I am on the wrong side of the "law" already.

I'll rebuild this cache. Why? It's a FUN cache. I'll even protect the coins a little more from those that feel it is within their "right" to take them,

There is no limit to the arguments people will push forward for behaving poorly -- we have an excellent example in this thread. The law is a shield to protect the weak -- here we see it as a shield to protect the greedy (and, I use this as a general statement -- I have no idea of the personal habits of those defending the legality of taking items -- I'm sure they are very nice people)

"Anyhow .... I had a deer camera at the site and have given them until July 14th before their smiling face is posted to the world -- film at 11."

Any photos?

Speaking of red herrings...... :) That was a fake post! haha!

I once was a manager for a hotel. One of my Front Desk Agents had $3000 stolen from their float. They were very upset and we had to go report it to the police. On the way back from the Police station, I told them to act happy and relieved.... tell everyone that they Police said it would be no problem to find the person that stole the money and an arrest would be coming shortly (not true). Strangely, the money re-appeared.

It didn't work with the coins, but was worth a shot.

I'll rebuild this cache. Why? It's a FUN cache. I'll even protect the coins a little more from those that feel it is within their "right" to take them,

Did not feel the need to quote everything else you said so well, but if you email me your address, I will contribute some coins to rebuilding the cache.

"Anyhow .... I had a deer camera at the site and have given them until July 14th before their smiling face is posted to the world -- film at 11."

Any photos?

Speaking of red herrings...... B) That was a fake post! haha!

I once was a manager for a hotel. One of my Front Desk Agents had $3000 stolen from their float. They were very upset and we had to go report it to the police. On the way back from the Police station, I told them to act happy and relieved.... tell everyone that they Police said it would be no problem to find the person that stole the money and an arrest would be coming shortly (not true). Strangely, the money re-appeared.

It didn't work with the coins, but was worth a shot.

Well, ya' got me with that one- :)

Hmmm...last time I checked, TBs and Geocoins aren't generally considered swag affected by the "even-trade" rule. If you can help them move, then it's okay to just take them.

Oh, you consider the Jayhawk coin a travel bug. Then I guess that you've only held onto it for 2 1/2 months because you want to find just the right cache to put it into? I'll stay out of this since I obviously have you figured out all wrong? B)

Hmmm...last time I checked, TBs and Geocoins aren't generally considered swag affected by the "even-trade" rule. If you can help them move, then it's okay to just take them.

Oh, you consider the Jayhawk coin a travel bug. Then I guess that you've only held onto it for 2 1/2 months because you want to find just the right cache to put it into? I'll stay out of this since I obviously have you figured out all wrong? B)

I consider the Jayhawk coin a travelling item, yes. However, the originator expresses his desires in the description; namely, you can keep it if you wish as long as you log finding it. This I have done. I would never do such a thing unless specifically told to do so.

Listen, <removed by moderator> this is the second time you've insinuated that I am something of a shady character. Back the holy hell off.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

opps, missed your post while editing mine.

You are correct, the coin has no mission. You are also correct, you are doing nothing legally wrong.

It's odd how being so right doesn't mean you aren't also so wrong..... sigh. :)

I don't think you're a shady character though. I just wonder what your point is.

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

opps, missed your post while editing mine.

You are correct, the coin has no mission. You are also correct, you are doing nothing legally wrong.

It's odd how being so right doesn't mean you aren't also so wrong..... sigh. :)

I don't think you're a shady character though. I just wonder what your point is.

Edited: If the coin has no mission, there isn't even the moral issue of keeping it. My whole point is, even though I wouldn't do such things myself, I am not so quick to condemn those who do, either...each case is different.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

EDITED:

Okay -- now that you've removed the nasty name you called me, I'll edit my post too.

I think you are legally correct in keeping the coin.

In fact, because the coin has no mission, I have no problem with you taking the coin (hence, my point starting with "In his defense...."

What I am left wondering is the following:

1) why do you think legality of takiing coins is important? I don't "get" it. Does legality matter? If so, why?

2) why are you hanging onto the coin? If you like it and want to "collect" it, then I have no problem with that -- it has no mission -- so I say "go for it". Personally, I think it would be nice if you contacted the owner as a courtesy (maybe you have) and/or gave back to the game. You have taken something out of "play" -- what have you done to fill the void? It's a small thing in the scheme of things, but it addes up.

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

Ah! Now you are calling me names.

From a rational, legal mind ......

You need to calm down, think about why folks are unhappy with you and come to terms with it.

I just don't agree with your rationalizations behind holding onto a coin and/or justifying the taking of coins behind the legal issue.

If that makes me a prink.... then poke, poke, poke.

I am perfectly calm; however, I do not take too kindly accusations of shady dealings.

People are in this faux rage over a simple token based on some premise that there are rules the rise above even the law itself.

I think you're a fine human being. That's my default and I assume it to be true. You've never done anything bad to me (except you did call me a <removed by moderator> and then edited your post).

You've put forward an argument that there is nothing LEGALLY wrong with taking coins from caches, as they are abandoned property.

What do you think about people that actually do this? What do you think about people that take coins and Travel Bugs (those with specific missions: the coin you have has none) and keep them?

I think you can keep the coin you found, because it seems to state that it's okay. Personally, I would contact the owner to confirm.

So....here it is as plain as I can put it>

Do you think that the person that took the coins from my cache (remember the original post?) was acting in the best interests of this game called geocaching? Yes or no.

What do you think about their actions?

People are in this faux rage over a simple token based on some premise that there are rules the rise above even the law itself.

I don't recall anyone stating that there were rules above the law itself.

I think people get annoyed when the law is used to justify actions that they feel are clearly poor behaviour.

If someone walks in front of me on the street -- I'll hit the brakes. I don't use the LEGAL fact that I have the right of way as justifications for behaving poorly and running them over.

This is a game with "rules" and "norms". Geocoins are not life and death. It's a game. It's more fun if people don't take them.

Interesting analogy...and since I just luurrrv analogies, allow me to place your "diamond ring" theory in the proper perspective.

Imagine you join a club...a club with thousands of locations around the world. Inside that club is a fishbowl intended for people to place diamond rings. Some rings have labels that say "Take me...I'm yours" while others say "Take me to Las Vegas and put in in the fishbowl there". All members of this club are encouraged to take a ring or 2 from the fishbowl and abide by the attached request. One day one of the members starts taking rings and keeping them for himself, regardless of the rings goals. Soon he finds that no one likes him, and some are even openly angry with him for his deceit and thievery. He finds that he is shunned by members of his own club and the other members become so aggravated with him that they change the locks on the clubhouse and won't let him back in.

Did he break a law? Perhaps not in a strict legal sense, but most certainly regarding his honor and integrity.

The whole premise that "there is no law" so it is okay, is such odd thinking to me. We could probably make a list of 100 things that are not illegal but are immoral. I guess the thing I don't quite understand is how anyone can say. I found it so it must be mine. Think for a minute what the game of geocaching would be like if that were true even assuming that we exclude the caches themselves:

1. I take my kids to a cache and say help yourself to everything in it. After all no one who left stuff in the cache ever expected to see it again.

2. I can take and keep every travel bug I come across, because after all the person who pay'd for it and activated doesn't have a serious chance of ever seeing it again.

3. Every coin activated or unactivated is mine to keep.

If this attitude prevailed, the game would be over. The fun would be gone, the community would be trashed.

When I see people defending the practice of taking coins and keeping them (which is really the same as defending the pilliaging of a cache as long as the container remains) I wonder how a "token" can be so important to them that they are willing to hurt the person who launched the token on a specific mission, and willing to hurt the game and the community by robbing others of the enjoyment of others finding the token.

My whole point is, even though I wouldn't do such things myself, I am not so quick to condemn those who do, either...each case is different.

Well, that makes it easy.

I DO condemn those that take and do not give to the community.

I DO condemn those that justify their actions using legal arguments (not you, of course, others - I have no reason to doubt your sincerity in fair play)

I DO condemn those that do not trade fair, or take coins, or destroy caches, or damage property

There is little I can do about it -- so I trade up, and I leave coins in caches, and I give away coins to people that I meet and are new.....

Why? It's just the way I play.

I am going to advocate that people assist travel bugs and geocoins in accordance with the specific goal set down by the owner. Perhaps it is a pointless and futile effort, but I don't think so. I think people want their travelers to be respected and I don't think that's too much to ask.

You have a problem with that? I don't care. You think I'm in a faux rage? I don't care.

And for the record I haven't even looked at this jayhawk traveler, that's between you and the owner.

Wait a minute, look at the description of this coin before you make any accusations. The description says: No matter what you do with the coin, please log it. I hope you like my personal Geocoin. I minted 100 gold and 400 silver coins.

To me, that is an open invitation to keep the coin as Moun10bike did with his. So making statements about him/her keeping the coin is completely wrong.

The issue regarding travel bugs and geocoins is a morality issue not a legality issue. If you find a tb or geocoin you should place the tb or geocoin back into a cache when you are able. I have been guilty of not releasing such items right away. But the people who intentionally keep geocoins, without just cause, are breaking a moral rule.

Now going back to this cache, I don't understand why you keep filling it back up with geocoins. You are just helping someone fill their collection if you don't take precautions. Sorry, I don't feel sorry for you and I certainly wouldn't send you coins to help fill another individual's collection. If you want to set them free that is one thing but to put them all in a neat little pile for a geomuggler is beyond my comprehension.

I DO condemn those that take and do not give to the community.

I DO condemn those that justify their actions using legal arguments (not you, of course, others - I have no reason to doubt your sincerity in fair play)

I DO condemn those that do not trade fair, or take coins, or destroy caches, or damage property

So do I.

I guess I fight against that 'all good things must end'.

Alright gang. Looks like my first warning wasn't enough to keep things under control.

I'm helping that along now.....

And I suggest you get back to the topic on hand, which is LFD's cache. This has been cruising along the line of stepping over the guidelines (and did at one point). I'm watching this one closely now.

I have every confidence that you can all get this back on track and civilized.

Don't prove me wrong. :)

edit: typo

I'm going to check to see what remains and take it from there.

Have you had a chance to check it? Are you going to replace it as it was or make a change? :)

(Note: this is my on topic posting as instructed. I don't want 40 lashes with a wet noodle. B) )

Edited by BlueDeuce

You've put forward an argument that there is nothing LEGALLY wrong with taking coins from caches, as they are abandoned property.

What do you think about people that actually do this? What do you think about people that take coins and Travel Bugs (those with specific missions: the coin you have has none) and keep them?

Boy, am I glad that I didn't keep up with *this* thread for a while!

Realizing that the above was directed at another person, I still feel the need to respond, as the above questions are anything but rhetorical. I also realize that not everything in the quote is Lemon Fresh Dog's opinion.

Firstly, to say that taking a geocoin from a cache, and keeping it, is legally OK because it is abandoned property, is a false premise. If it were true that a geocoin in a geocache is "abandoned", then the cache, itself, is abandoned. Just because the National Park Service views physical caches in this way does not mean that all caches are abandoned. Many P&R Departments approve, and even encourage, geocaches; these would not be abandoned, no matter how you try to make it look otherwise. Thus, anything inside them cannot be construed as abandoned, either. Someone has responsibilty for the cache, as well as the stuff inside. As long as legal ownership has been established, and approval for the placement has been received, there is no legal question about ownership and responsibility. This is a solid legal position, founded on decades - nay, centuries - of precedent. The fact is that, whether there is a specific goal for the traveler, or not, if it has been activated, it is *not* free to be taken by whoever finds it, unless the owner has specifically given permission for it to be taken and kept.

Thus, my opinion about people who take geocoins and Travel Bugs (and TravelerTags and any other things that are clearly meant to move around) is that they are petty thieves, punishable by law, if the owners of the items care to push the matter. If the item says "Trackable at", or anything else remotely similar to that, then it is intended to move around, and is not to be kept by the finder, unless the finder asks for permission to keep it, and that permission is granted. This is a legal issue, as well as an ethical one. Keeping any traveler without permission is wrong, both legally and ethically.

And to nail down this point from the other direction, if any object left "in the wild" can be considered abandoned, i.e. the owner has given up any legal title to it, merely by being in the wild, then it would be much harder, legally, for law enforcement to go after the planters of incendiary devices in arson cases, as but one example. There is still a legal responsibility issue over these things, and where there is responsibility, there is ownership, whether claimed or not. An engine-less car left in the desert still has an owner, who can be charged with towing and disposal costs. As can the companies who dump toxic waste in holes in the ground, even when such dumping was not illegal.

I hope that this helps clears up some of the pseudo-legal nonsense that has been posted on this issue.

BTW: while I was writing the above, several other posts were made, including FSM's warning. I didn't see them until after I posted the above the first time. I didn't edit anything above; I just added this paragraph.

Edited by chaosmanor

Now going back to this cache, I don't understand why you keep filling it back up with geocoins. You are just helping someone fill their collection if you don't take precautions. Sorry, I don't feel sorry for you and I certainly wouldn't send you coins to help fill another individual's collection. If you want to set them free that is one thing but to put them all in a neat little pile for a geomuggler is beyond my comprehension.

Read the cache log. Then you'll know why I created the cache and all the fun it brought to folks. Please, don't feel sorry for me -- Im really, really okay.

Wait a minute, look at the description of this coin before you make any accusations. The description says: No matter what you do with the coin, please log it...

To me, that is an open invitation to keep the coin...

In that instance, I would agree with you. In reference to my previous post, there is a reasonable assumption that the finder can make that keeping the coin is OK, as long as the finder/keeper tells the owner that that is what is going on. There is plenty of legal precedence to make this inference, and make it stick on a court of law.

I'm really happy that folks are passionate on this subject and there has been such lively discussion.

To calm things down.... when you get the chance, read the cache page. Have a look at everything that happened up intil the coins were taken.

Isn't this hobby cool?

Folks got a good hike, they saw a nice view.

People saw some coins in the wild.

Sure. The coins went away -- boo hoo. I'm going to live. What's really cool is that there were dozens of logs before this -- and check out the most recent find! Coins or no coins -- folks like this location and this cache.

Everything is okay -- I started this thread to actually let people know just how SUCCESSFUL this cache was. Sure - it would have been great to see it last longer. It didn't. I'll create a new way to put coins in the wild and discourage people from taking them - (see any one of 100 other threads on this)

Bottom line: This cache was FUN. This cache IS fun. This cache will REMAIN fun.

If someone spits on the cache, I'll just wipe it clean. MOST people do the right thing.

I'm going to check to see what remains and take it from there.

Have you had a chance to check it? Are you going to replace it as it was or make a change? B)

(Note: this is my on topic posting as instructed. I don't want 40 lashes with a wet noodle. :lol: )

Let's be careful, I can see spaghetti sauce dripping through the ceiling above............ :(:)B)B)

Let's be careful, I can see spaghetti sauce dripping through the ceiling above............ B):)B)B)

Curious, is that an MIB reference or Star Trek?

Ooh maybe even Aliens.

edit: lousy quote settings.

Holy Carp! I'm off topic again.

uhm, coins, coins and coins. Travel bugs and retrieval instructions. Send an email to gc.com and yeah, revisit the cache.

(whew, Think I'm safe now? :lol: )