Tell Me Why You Want It

There are several GPS models available with a compass and barometer. These sensors:

- are more expensive than models without

- need frequent calibration

- reduce battery life

How do these extras really add value to the GPS?

Edited by lee_rimar

I am from the same school of thought as you, (lee_rimar). I have both the Garmin 76C and the 76Cx. I have a couple of compasses that I keep in my pack or pocket that are more accurate than the one on the GPSr, plus I never need to recalibrate them or replace the battery. The barometric pressure was of no value to me. If it were, I would have a unit designed specifically for that purpose. I see many posts where people are complaining about recalibration and accuracy of the compass on their GPSr. But, people keep buying them. Maybe they think because they spent more money they are getting a better unit (?). Go figure.

I bought the 60CS when it first came out. I very shortly came to the same conclusion as the OP. My next GPS will probably be the 60CX. I can count on one hand the times I used the built in compass, and I wasn't very happy with it when I used it. I carry a real compass for the occasions I need one anyway. I have never had a use for the barometer, so why not save some money and only buy what you need.

I bought the Vista and then the 60Csx for the altimeter. I have not personally found much use for the compass.

With the Vista having the barometric altimeter was a nice to have when hiking as I could see my elevation gain/loss even when the GPS lost its signal for half the hike. Now with the 60Csx I don't loose the signal and so having a barometric altimeter doesnt add much. Does the 60Cs have GPS elevation and elevation gain/loss as data fields?

WHen I could get the Meridian Platinum for only $20 more than the Gold, I went for it and found the 3-pt electronic compass useful and worthwhile. I could disable it when I was concerned more about battery life, and I recalibrated only when it was apparent that it needed it (that seemed to be about every 3 or 4 battery changes).

When it was going to cost me more ( I think it was $50) to get the Explorist 600 over the 500, I decided to save my money. That seemed to be particularly fortunate decision when I read of all the problems the 600 owners were having with the extra sensors (at least until the firmware upgrade finally came out, which seemed to take care of most of those problems).

I rarely looked at the barometer on my Plat and never found it useful.

I use the electronic compass and the barometric altimeter quite often. Compass calibration is only a nuisance. I do it while walking to a cache and it takes less than a minute. I love to be able to pivot in a fixed spot and the GPSr still shows the direction. I don’t use the barometric altimeter for caching. I work for a pump company and measuring difference in elevation is necessary to “size” the proper pump. My 60CSX does a great job very quickly where others were only accurate to 30’ - 50’ or more (and now I can do it indoors :D ).

There are several GPS models available with a compass and barometer. These sensors:

- reduce battery life

For me, I only opted for the electronic compass because I wanted the convience of using a magnetic compass w/o the hassle of carrying a separate one. When in the bush, I bring a separate compass as a back-up, but for Geocaching, knowing the direction you're facing w/o having to be moving is very useful. Calibration isn't an issue since it takes 10 sec. Of course, having experienced the 60's compass, I'm not sure if it was a worthwhile purchase. It's very picky about how level you hold it.

It sounds like the Magellan 3-axis compass would be worthwhile, though.

As far as the barometric altimeter goes, I could do w/o it, although I do like the elevation graph. I can't remember if my non-sensor 76C had that elevation graph page or not.

GeoBC

Well, if you hope to have any accuracy at all in elevation then you will need the barometer sensor. So, if you bike ride, hike or fly then the barometer is worthwhile.

The magnetic compass is OK but it needs constant recalibration. I like the unit knowing the way its pointing though and would use it when hiking/geocaching.

I'm glad I got the sensors and would miss the accurate altitude readings (albiet, this accuracy is only short term due to atmospheric pressure changes at any location).

- reduce battery life

For me, I only opted for the electronic compass because I wanted the convience of using a magnetic compass w/o the hassle of carrying a separate one. When in the bush, I bring a separate compass as a back-up, but for Geocaching, knowing the direction you're facing w/o having to be moving is very useful. Calibration isn't an issue since it takes 10 sec. Of course, having experienced the 60's compass, I'm not sure if it was a worthwhile purchase. It's very picky about how level you hold it.

It sounds like the Magellan 3-axis compass would be worthwhile, though.

As far as the barometric altimeter goes, I could do w/o it, although I do like the elevation graph. I can't remember if my non-sensor 76C had that elevation graph page or not.

GeoBC

If you desire to record somewhat accurate data regarding elevation, you really need the barometric altimeter. In mountainous terrain, if you're trying to record tracks, your altitude gained/lost data is often off by 50% or more if you don't have the altimeter. You can use software that can correct some of the errors through post processing, but the easiest way of doing it is have accurate data to begin with, and the barometric altimeter gives you much more accurate data. The GPS units I use the most are my forerunners, and I've got to say one of the biggest faults with them is that they don't have a barometric altimeter. The percent slope functions, calorie calculations, and elevation gained lost are of no value because of the GPS only solution.

As for the magnetic compass, it makes the units more handy to use as your primary navigation device when you're working through thick deadfall or brush areas where anything even remotely resembling moving in a straight line is all but impossible, and landmarks to steer by can't be used to to limited visability.

Altimeter, a must if you're interested in tracks, Compass nice to have but easier to work around and in my opinion not as necessary.

- reduce battery life

I have a unit with both. I use neither. Ever. I regularly go places that can mean a very long walk back if you go the wrong way. The compass is useless as the proverbial appendages on a squeegee handle because it cannot be trusted as much as even a cheap magnetic compass.

I regularly check my GPS against the known elevation of surveyed benchmarks. The barometric altimiter is never as accurate as the GPS.

For my money they're both candidates for the lamest add ons available.

I'm not sure that comparing vertical absolute altitude against a benchmark is a useful way to check the altimeter, unless you've recently calibrated against another point. It is inherent to the design of barometric altimeters that absolute accuracy will suffer without calibration. OTOH, I think that the barometric altimeters will probably be superior for relative accuracy - if what I want to know is not that point A is at X feet of elevation, but that point B is Y feet higher than point A. I'll weigh in with the guys who support the altimeter for vertical data. I've seen tracks from GPS elevation only plots, and they often feature a lot of high-frequency noise (altitude spikes up and down), and some huge vertical spikes. This is not a good way to get vertical trip data, and/or compare track elevation data. I don't have side-by-side comparisons, not having a similar non-sensor equipped GPS to get track data on an identical trip, but it might be fun to do that if I find someone with a LegendC. One thing it's certain you do gain with the Garmin's with sensors is the ability to see the track profile on the unit itself.

Keith

Certainly seems to be the opinion of many who buy the "S" version. I would just like to add that any barometric altimeter needs to be set to the current pressure conditions. This is true for the altimeter in airplanes as well. Every time I got ready to fly the altimeter was always something other than the correct altitude and needed to be set. This is the case with your handheld gps altimeter. Where the confusion comes in is that the gps tries to let your get around this 'setting" of the local pressure by using GPS elevation to try and do it for you. If your gps knows your altitude then it can tell you your current barometric pressure. Unfortunately the elevation data from the gps is very bad and so as a result the "autocalibration" mode of the gps altimeter is very bad as well (but better than nothing).

The bottom line is the barometric altimeter in your gps is a tool that has its shortcomings. If you understand the shortcomings then you might be able to make use of the tool. If you don’t then you may be tempted to dismiss it as not reliable.

As far as the magnetic compass goes, now that one is a mystery to me and I would never rely on it (but maybe its because I don’t understand its shortcomings).

I have a unit with both. I use neither. Ever. I regularly go places that can mean a very long walk back if you go the wrong way. The compass is useless as the proverbial appendages on a squeegee handle because it cannot be trusted as much as even a cheap magnetic compass.

I regularly check my GPS against the known elevation of surveyed benchmarks. The barometric altimiter is never as accurate as the GPS.

For my money they're both candidates for the lamest add ons available.

I'm reading silently since a few months to help me decide which unit to get and I was set on the 60Cx. It seems the CSx is more popular but really I see no reason to pay the extra for those 2 added options that I won't more that taking a look at it the 1st week just for the fun of it. So I decided that the money could be used for something else...

I'll tell you why...elk camp! Ever since our group got together 14 years ago, there's been this equipment race going on. It started the first year when Bob showed up with his new 300 Win Mag to outdo Dave's ol '06. Bob felt a little sheepish when I opened my gun case and took out my 8mm mag. Then Bob asked what I had in the other case...my backup. Bob about turned green with envy when I took out my backup 375 H&H. The race was on! Next year Bob came with a .338 to top my 8mm. A couple years later he had a 45-70 to top my 375 H&H. That wasn't long range enough so he got a 416.

Well, they all got new GPS's last year, the same year mine showed up in camp broken. So now I'm going to trump their Vista's with my 60CSx. Had to go for the 'S" since their Vistas have sensors.

I'd rather show them up with a GPS that doesn't to lose its signal in the woods (and have the me-too compass & altimeter) than have to show up and hunt elk with a 458 mag. Spending the extra $40 was painless compared to having to shoot that 458... :drama::lol:

Well Said!!!

I'll tell you why...elk camp! Ever since our group got together 14 years ago, there's been this equipment race going on. It started the first year when Bob showed up with his new 300 Win Mag to outdo Dave's ol '06. Bob felt a little sheepish when I opened my gun case and took out my 8mm mag. Then Bob asked what I had in the other case...my backup. Bob about turned green with envy when I took out my backup 375 H&H. The race was on! Next year Bob came with a .338 to top my 8mm. A couple years later he had a 45-70 to top my 375 H&H. That wasn't long range enough so he got a 416.

Well, they all got new GPS's last year, the same year mine showed up in camp broken. So now I'm going to trump their Vista's with my 60CSx. Had to go for the 'S" since their Vistas have sensors.

I'd rather show them up with a GPS that doesn't to lose its signal in the woods (and have the me-too compass & altimeter) than have to show up and hunt elk with a 458 mag. Spending the extra $40 was painless compared to having to shoot that 458... :drama::lol:

Any one who has a 60cx, 60c or the 70 series know if they have the elevation data page? or do they just give the GPS elevation from the sat page?

I don't think that the C or Cx versions have the elevation page.

I have the Csx, and I am VERY happy to have the elevation page for hiking.

As for the compass, I don't use it very much, but I am also happy to have it.

pyt22fr

Having previously used an Etrex summit I was very happy with the performance of the magnetic compass and so deliberately opted for the 60CSx model. A continuously updating bearing avoids the need to do the bee dance or juggle the unit from hand to hand. It should not however be mistaken for a real compass so I also carry one of them and a paper map also. I don't have much use for the altitude/pressure sensor but they seem to be unavoidable if you want the magnetic compass.

OK. I gotta know. Many of you are saying that you never use the electronic compass, even when you have a GPS that has one. I use mine ALL the time, pretty well every time I am navigating to a waypoint. When goecaching, I hit GO TO and then follow that little red arrow to the cache. A friend of mine tells me that he uses the map page and finds caches by zooming in and then walking until he is on top of the cache icon. I always thought the arrow was the simpler way to do things, but then again, I have always had a GPS that had one, so maybe that is just the way I have gotten used to doing things.

When geocaching I use the magnetic compass

OK. I gotta know. Many of you are saying that you never use the electronic compass, even when you have a GPS that has one. I use mine ALL the time, pretty well every time I am navigating to a waypoint. When goecaching, I hit GO TO and then follow that little red arrow to the cache. A friend of mine tells me that he uses the map page and finds caches by zooming in and then walking until he is on top of the cache icon. I always thought the arrow was the simpler way to do things, but then again, I have always had a GPS that had one, so maybe that is just the way I have gotten used to doing things.

The little red arrow is still using the sats to find the cache it is not a true compass. If you have a gps with an electronic compass in it.. stand very still for around 90 seconds (usually the limit set to turn it on) and you will see at the bottom of the red arrow page that it will say "Hold Level" this is the only time that the true compass is on....

Otherwise you are doing the same thing as your friend just following the sats to a specific lat, long. You are just doing it in a different view.

kgag.

I have a 60CSx and use both the Compass and Altimeter all the time while hiking and route finding. I know how to use both features correctly and have found them to be most useful. The biggest downfall of these features is the documentation. Once you know how and when to use them they can be for good use. If your a hiker and want to get the most out of your equipment I suggest reading some books from the Sierra Club on the subject. A good start is "Land Navigation Handbook" by W.S. Kals

I've owned both. There have a slight usefullness, but not worth the cost. Very little use for caching.

I've also hiked and mountaineered for 35 years. The sensors are toys and not much use for those activities.

Edited by Red90

- reduce battery life

They really don't. When I drove from Manitou Springs (6,000' elevation) to Pikes Peak (14,000') in Colorado, I watched the elevation reading on my eTrex Summit's barometric altimeter and it had as much error, if not more, than the elevation readings on my Magellan GPS Companion and Lowrance iFinder GO. I used the posted signs along the Pikes Peak Highway to check.

I do find the electronic compass convenient if I'm in a forest. I often go to a clearing, aim a point, walk in a straight line. Found many caches that way. I like the fact that I can set it to True North. The same can be done with a regular compass, of course, so it's just a luxury.

I use the compass geocaching all the time. I don't really care which way is north but I do like that when I stop moving the arrow still points to the cache. When I turn it off and stop moving the arrow just points in a random direction. Recalibration is quick and easy - if you can't manage to hold it level enough you need to stop drinking so much or something. I also don't care that it uses batteries faster. I have rechargable batteries and they charge up in 15 minutes - even if I'm on the road I can plug the charger into the cigarette lighter and get freshly charged batteries in 15 minutes while using the second set in the GPSr.

Dusty,

Same here!

I opted for the 60C over the CS last year when I was shopping. I can't say that I have missed the barometer or compass. I went and picked up a small compass at Gander Mountain for $5 and I haven't really used that either. Most of the caches I do are very simple, family friendly so no need for any significant navigating.

Without an electronic compass, you have to have an old fashion compass handy. Or you have to be moving to know which direction you’re facing. I believe the electronic compass is a great addition.

The altimeter is great for hiking. I am always fascinated to see all the elevation changes I’ve made over distance. My old 60cs, had reliable elevation info, and I enjoyed reviewing it…. in an engineer sort of way. And after looking at topo maps, I could see it was pretty accurate. The 60CSx is better now with the updates. But it still needs work…

Besides, it doesn’t really cost that much more for the sensor options anyway, does it? I think this is a 100% personal preference sort of thing….. If your not sure, then you probably don't want it. And if you've never had it, then you don't know what your missing.....