Mapsource City Select V 7

Is this legit:

http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/index.html?a=507

Garmin will give an free upgrade to Navigator if I purchase Select v 7 from GPSDiscount? Seems fishy to me - aren't they 2 different products?

I apologize if this is already addressed in the forums. I got tired of weeding through posts on my slow dial-up connection.

I don't know if the deal from gpsdiscount is legit or not.

The MapSource City Navigator North America v 8 DVD is available and shipping from http://www.gpsnow.com/gmmscnna.htm. Mine arrived last Wednesday 6/28/06.

I saw that same pkg and e-mailed that same question to Garmin yesterday using their support page. I haven't heard back yet but hopefully that is just b/c of the holiday. I tried to call but they said the wait time was around 30 mins. If you find out the answer, could you post it here and I'll do the same if I hear first? Thanks!

Garmin has indicated that it will offer a free upgrade path from City Select version 7 to City Navigator version 8, since City Select is being discontinued. Garmin's web site still generically says that free upgrades are offered only for the same title. Until the web site states otherwise, I think an e-mail to Garmin or a call to their customer support would be the safest course.

This is the e-mail response I received from Garmin on June 22nd:

Thank you for contacting Garmin Cartography. City Navigator North America v7 is currently on backorder and I am not sure when the next shipment will come in. With the release of City Navigator North America v8 so close it could be that dealers as well as our warehouse are waiting for the v8 DVD before they begin filling orders (hopefully it will hit shelves in the next few weeks). If you need something now I would recommend looking around on-line to see if another Garmin dealer has v7 or a previous version for sale (it must be brand new and unopened). Your best bet is probably to do a Google or Yahoo search for it. If you do find a brand new version of the software you can purchase it, install and unlock the maps and when our version 8 update is released later this summer you will qualify for a free update. You will just need to order the update DVD from our website and our unlock system will recognize that you are eligible for a free version 8 unlock code. The same deal applies for City Select. If you find an unopened version just purchase it and install the maps and you will qualify for a free upgrade to City Navigator North America v8 when the update DVD comes out. We are discontinuing City Select which is why you get the free upgrade to City Nav . Hope this helps and sorry for the hassles.

I went ahead and ordered City Select and am now waiting for Garmin to make the update available.

This is the e-mail response I received from Garmin on June 22nd:

Thank you for contacting Garmin Cartography. City Navigator North America v7 is currently on backorder and I am not sure when the next shipment will come in. With the release of City Navigator North America v8 so close it could be that dealers as well as our warehouse are waiting for the v8 DVD before they begin filling orders (hopefully it will hit shelves in the next few weeks). If you need something now I would recommend looking around on-line to see if another Garmin dealer has v7 or a previous version for sale (it must be brand new and unopened). Your best bet is probably to do a Google or Yahoo search for it. If you do find a brand new version of the software you can purchase it, install and unlock the maps and when our version 8 update is released later this summer you will qualify for a free update. You will just need to order the update DVD from our website and our unlock system will recognize that you are eligible for a free version 8 unlock code. The same deal applies for City Select. If you find an unopened version just purchase it and install the maps and you will qualify for a free upgrade to City Navigator North America v8 when the update DVD comes out. We are discontinuing City Select which is why you get the free upgrade to City Nav . Hope this helps and sorry for the hassles.

I went ahead and ordered City Select and am now waiting for Garmin to make the update available.

Does anyone know if Garmin is going to offer upgrade pricing to go from City Select V 7 to City Navigator V 8 or do we have to buy it outright for $120?

[/i]The same deal applies for City Select. If you find an unopened version just purchase it and install the maps and you will qualify for a free upgrade to City Navigator North America v8 when the update DVD comes out. We are discontinuing City Select which is why you get the free upgrade to City Nav

Does anyone know if Garmin is going to offer upgrade pricing to go from City Select V 7 to City Navigator V 8 or do we have to buy it outright for $120?

If Garmin were to charge $120 then that wouldn't be an upgrade. Whether it's free or not depends on the date you unlocked your software.

If Garmin were to charge $120 then that wouldn't be an upgrade. Whether it's free or not depends on the date you unlocked your software.

I agree. They usually charge $75 for a upgrade and $120 for buying it outright. Hopefully we can pay for an upgrade at some point.

Edited by andygriffith

FWIW, I spoke to Garmin support today regarding this issue (purchased City Select V7 in an auto nav kit for my new 76CSX on 6/13, and until today had not unlocked it). When I asked about the free upgrade, I was told that Garmin has only released the *full* version of City Nav 8, and that since the *upgrade* version had not been released yet, I would not qualify for the free upgrade. What? :drama: I questioned the rep about this, since I don't recall the website saying anything about full vs. upgrade release dates on the upgrade info page. He said he would go ahead and note my account so that I could receive the free upgrade once it is released, which he suspects will be sometime in August. According to this rep, I will receive an email when the upgrade version of City Nav 8 is released, and I will need to reply to the email or call to receive it. Hopefully, it will come to pass.

Anyone else get a response like this one?

FWIW, I spoke to Garmin support today regarding this issue (purchased City Select V7 in an auto nav kit for my new 76CSX on 6/13, and until today had not unlocked it). When I asked about the free upgrade, I was told that Garmin has only released the *full* version of City Nav 8, and that since the *upgrade* version had not been released yet, I would not qualify for the free upgrade. What? :D I questioned the rep about this, since I don't recall the website saying anything about full vs. upgrade release dates on the upgrade info page. He said he would go ahead and note my account so that I could receive the free upgrade once it is released, which he suspects will be sometime in August. According to this rep, I will receive an email when the upgrade version of City Nav 8 is released, and I will need to reply to the email or call to receive it. Hopefully, it will come to pass.

Yes I got the same reply via email. August for update DVDs. :D

Although it is only my personal opinion, I think we can expect Garmin to "do the right thing" ...

In my own, personal, experience, they are very forgiving. Back around Christmas (it all seems so long ago) I bought City Nav v7 for my VistaC. This was based on the tables that they had on their web site. Well, in January, I discovered that some of the Navigator maps wouldn't fit in my VistaC. After a couple of emails back and forth, the "Product Manager" for Navigator said to send in my DVD for Navigator and he would send me Select, no charge. Well, the day I mailed the Navigator DVD he sent me the Select DVD. It was shortly after that that the web site made it much clearer that Select was the product for the VistaC. Of course they came out with the SD card systems shortly after that ... sigh!

So, I expect that Garmin will do the upgrade thing as is should be done. Happy customers spend more money than unhappy ones ... and they seem to understand that.

FWIW,

Bill

Although it is only my personal opinion, I think we can expect Garmin to "do the right thing" ...

In my own, personal, experience, they are very forgiving. Back around Christmas (it all seems so long ago) I bought City Nav v7 for my VistaC. This was based on the tables that they had on their web site. Well, in January, I discovered that some of the Navigator maps wouldn't fit in my VistaC. After a couple of emails back and forth, the "Product Manager" for Navigator said to send in my DVD for Navigator and he would send me Select, no charge. Well, the day I mailed the Navigator DVD he sent me the Select DVD. It was shortly after that that the web site made it much clearer that Select was the product for the VistaC. Of course they came out with the SD card systems shortly after that ... sigh!

So, I expect that Garmin will do the upgrade thing as is should be done. Happy customers spend more money than unhappy ones ... and they seem to understand that.

FWIW,

Bill

The last few posts seem to have answered my question. Now the question everyone needs to ask themselves if they can wait until August to get the new City Navigator V 8. I know I can, since it will probably be priced at around $75 like the other upgrades.

I sent an e-mail to Garmin asking about the free upgrade to Nav 8 if I buy Select 7 right now. No response yet to the e-mail, however I do see the responses posted above.

My husband called Garmin Customer Service yesterday (Wednesday) and sat on hold for 1/2 hour to talk to one of their reps. The representative told him that Navigator v. 8 isn't even out yet, so no we wouldn't qualify for a free upgrade. He said they didn't have a release date on the regular version yet - possibly August. He also said that City Select is a different product so we could only get upgrades to CS not Navigator.

Maybe he's new. After all the good things I've heard about Garmin's support, this surprises me.

He did verify that GPS Discount is an authorized distributor, so we are going to go ahead and purchase the package and then fight for the upgrade if we have to. :-)

-Gremalkin

I sent an e-mail to Garmin asking about the free upgrade to Nav 8 if I buy Select 7 right now. No response yet to the e-mail, however I do see the responses posted above.

My husband called Garmin Customer Service yesterday (Wednesday) and sat on hold for 1/2 hour to talk to one of their reps. The representative told him that Navigator v. 8 isn't even out yet, so no we wouldn't qualify for a free upgrade. He said they didn't have a release date on the regular version yet - possibly August. He also said that City Select is a different product so we could only get upgrades to CS not Navigator.

Maybe he's new. After all the good things I've heard about Garmin's support, this surprises me.

He did verify that GPS Discount is an authorized distributor, so we are going to go ahead and purchase the package and then fight for the upgrade if we have to. :-)

-Gremalkin

I just pruchased my 76CSx from GPSDiscount, but before that asked about the package with the City Select 7, and if it now included City Navigator 8. They said no, but Garmin would upgrade it for free. So if when I get it Garmin won't give the free upgrade, I'm going to follow up with GPSDiscount, since that was their claim.

FWIW, I spoke to Garmin support today regarding this issue (purchased City Select V7 in an auto nav kit for my new 76CSX on 6/13, and until today had not unlocked it). When I asked about the free upgrade, I was told that Garmin has only released the *full* version of City Nav 8, and that since the *upgrade* version had not been released yet, I would not qualify for the free upgrade. What? :rolleyes: I questioned the rep about this, since I don't recall the website saying anything about full vs. upgrade release dates on the upgrade info page. He said he would go ahead and note my account so that I could receive the free upgrade once it is released, which he suspects will be sometime in August. According to this rep, I will receive an email when the upgrade version of City Nav 8 is released, and I will need to reply to the email or call to receive it. Hopefully, it will come to pass.

This is the samething that happened to me except I was told I would not get a free upgrade that it was based off of the update release date and not the full version release date. I posted this on an other thread and they thought I was crazy. I hate that I'm mot getting the free update but glad that I've not lost my mind.

Hunting101

Nashville, TN