$100 Rebate On 76cx And Csx

I don't want to fuel speculation. I'm wondering if anyone actually knows. Why is Garmin giving a $100 rebate on just these two "new" models?

Usually rebates are when they are trying to get rid of old stock. Why would they be trying to move the 76 units? Something new on the way? I hate buying stuff that's obsolete 2 weeks later.

The main advantage of the old 76 units over the 60 units was that they had double the memory. I think that when Garmin went to removable memory, they over-estimated the damand for the 76Cx units based upon their prior sales. I doubt that they are discontinuing the units anytime soon, but suspect that they overproduced their initial run and are needing to reduce their stock.

I'm also curious about that. I had in mond since a few months to go for a 60Cx then I saw that offer. Lower priced than the 60 series and twice the memory. BUT I think I would not really like the buttons at the top, though I never had any in hand yet to manipulate.

Just a few days remaining and I think I will wait a few more months before buying. Won't have much time this summer to play with the new toy and start GC so...

:D I think there is a scam going on by Garmin. I bought a new GPS MAP 76CSx. Just today I got a card from Garmin saying my rebate was denied. The postcard said I have an invalid serial number. I think Garmin know they may save a buck or two. Not everyone has time to go after a $100.00. I filled out all the paperwork very carefully, double checking everything and look what happens. :laughing: I am very disappointed in Garmin and not sure what to do if anything. Has anyone on this Forum had this happen to them? A quick note on this unit GPSMAP 76CSx.. It is awesome! It even aquires in my house.

seeelk:

Do not take a denial without a fight. I have had rebates denied and pressed them and had every one honored. Resend your copies, insist on talking to someone else. Also, call/write/email the store where you bought it and complain. Large retailers have some clout and do not like unhappy customers. Another later action is to threaten to report them to your state's office that regulates fraud/bad business practices. This can work well. It seems to me that when they know you will not give up, they give up and pay ....

:D I think there is a scam going on by Garmin. I bought a new GPS MAP 76CSx. Just today I got a card from Garmin saying my rebate was denied. The postcard said I have an invalid serial number. I think Garmin know they may save a buck or two. Not everyone has time to go after a $100.00. I filled out all the paperwork very carefully, double checking everything and look what happens. :laughing: I am very disappointed in Garmin and not sure what to do if anything. Has anyone on this Forum had this happen to them? A quick note on this unit GPSMAP 76CSx.. It is awesome! It even aquires in my house.

You have all your paperwork, sales receipt etc..call them on it. Unless you bought from a shaddy place, it should be legit. Did you register it online, did it get rejected then? No, no, don't not let them off that easy. You can file with the BBB and the AG's office, back up your claim. I just sent mine rebate for the 76csx in about two weeks ago...I'll be watching..more so, since I was a Magellan person up to now and just came over to Garmin. I had similar rebates try to tell me that, and for a lot less $$, but I did what I said above...the checks came - some just after a nice call to review the details...

Companies hire third party rebate services that try to manage down the number of rebates paid out. They frequently try to push you off the first attempt. Just push and you'll get it. I once on cell phones had to threaten to write a letter to the attorneys general for their state before they finally caved in and sent me my rebate.

This sort of thing just makes me so mad, if not rebates it something else, such as my health insurance company rejecting a bill from my Doctor. It takes time to deal with all this nonsense. I run like a banchie from the time I get up until I hit the sheets. I know it’s my choice but I try to jamb 28 hours of work and play into a 24 hour day. I have copies of everything concerning the rebate offer. When ever I buy something with a rebate I ask for two extra receipts. I have never had a problem until now with rebates. All my problems has been with insurance. I need to chill out and then decide what to do. It just chaps my _$$. I bought my unit from Sportsman warehouse in Spokane,WA.

Edited by seeelk

:D I think there is a scam going on by Garmin. I bought a new GPS MAP 76CSx. Just today I got a card from Garmin saying my rebate was denied. The postcard said I have an invalid serial number. I think Garmin know they may save a buck or two. Not everyone has time to go after a $100.00. I filled out all the paperwork very carefully, double checking everything and look what happens. :laughing: I am very disappointed in Garmin and not sure what to do if anything. Has anyone on this Forum had this happen to them? A quick note on this unit GPSMAP 76CSx.. It is awesome! It even acquires in my house.

If I was you, I would protest it. Other Forum members have done so and gotten their rebate. I'm still waiting for mine. The deadline was 07/09/06. I mailed mine Certified Mail on 07/06/06 and they received it 07/11/06.

I agree with the acquisition. I let my brother have my Gilsson antenna because I don't need it now. When i was vacation the last week of May, I never needed it in the car. My old 60 CS did, though.

An update on my Garmin rebate. I called the rebate center yesterday, I told them I was very careful when filling out my form and double checked it. I told them the mistake was theirs and I was not going to let go of this rebate. I was told the rebate will be at my house in four to six weeks. I will let this thread know if it shows or not . Thanks for the advice.

I HATE the Garmin mail in rebate.

Its not available to Europe and other country outside Nort America.

It would be better for all, if they just reduced the price with $100.

http://www.garmin.com/whatsNew/currentpromotions/

Why buy a big clumpy 76 when you have the 60 :)

(I did own a 76S befoe my 60CS)

I am waiting for the next release of Garmin hendhelds before I upgrade my 60CS

Hopefully it woud uses SiRF III LT (uses 50% less power compare to the one in 60CSx)

According to this page

http://www.garmin.com/whatsNew/currentpromotions/

the $100 rebate was from 16 May 06 to 9 Jul 06

so it seems to have ended.

Why a rebate on the 76xx 76xxx units. I'll toss my guess into the hat.

When I was looking, the 76 appeared to be marketed as a marine unit. That was going to be my primary use for a new GPSr however, it was clear that the 60 and 76 series units were pretty much the same guts in a different box.

I chose a 60Cx over 60Csx because a compass would be redundant for my purposes and the altimiter w/barometer didn't matter to me. I chose the 60 series over the 76 series because of the form factor, it had the same size screen but with an exposed antenna is smaller in overall size. I guess too that having the atennae "stick right out there" I had the self induced notion that I would get better reception.

In conclusion, unless I'm misinformed, the 60 and 76 are equal in performance. I am very happy with the 60Cx but if I had been able to grab a 76 for a hundy less, I probably would have gone that way. Garmin is moving 60xx and 60xxx faster than the 76ers so they are making a deal.