Placing My First Cache

Ok, I figure I'm the bane of half the regulars here. I have 3 finds. I know I'm a n00b. But I am dying to drop my first cache. I am totally into the idea of making an elaborate, beautifully-camo'd work of art that only YOU can spot, but while I'm here, I want to make a contribution. I'm in a cache-rich area, but I have miles of open space to add another few finds to an area that could benefit from them.

So... I can drop something sooner, that may be more predictable (i.e. hard to get to, easy to find), or I can wait and try to come up with something terminally clever (which I'm totally into doing eventually). What do I do? Do I compensate for my lack of experience by making the cache treasure that much more interesting? Or do I wait and try to come out on my first few caches as being something special? Is there a "rep" that I can blow if I don't enter the field with something spectacular?

I know I can do whatever I want. I think the consensus is among people that this "sport" should be minimally regulated, but I'm curious what you veterans would admit, that you might do differently if you were in my shoes?

Almost all mine are smaller ones placed in parks, decent hiding spots minimal cammo just painted to blend in. The only thing I would tell you, and this is just me, I would avoid lamppost skirts, anything in a parking lot, or near large piles of trash/dumpsters. I have seen several good micros in the city, along cannals, small parks, and flood controll areas, some grass a few trees some scenery, not just a parking lot. Thats just my $.05 ( adjusted for inflation).

Edit because I did not read everything. I do not advocate a set amount of finds befor you get to place a cache. I would recomend you find a few more to generate some ideas on what others have done in your area. If you like a style of hide run with it, also seeing how others have hidden and cammod there will give you ideas about yours. Also I would recomend reading through ccc cool cache containers, lots of ideas and advice in there. cool cache containers (link) good luck.

Edited by humanloofa
Once you place a cache, you should not or cannot go back and modify it?

You can, but if you change it significantly, you would be better off archiving it and creating a new cache page.

Since there are already plenty of caches in your area and you really want to hide a super cool camo cache, why don't you just concentrate on your work of art. There is no need to hide one until you want to. You don't have to hide a 'preliminary' cache.

Once you place a cache, you should not or cannot go back and modify it?

Actually, you can. We've had to replace containers that were muggled. I've seen some actually change the size of the cache after publication.

I've tweaked difficulty and terrain settings based on feedback. I've changed attributes based on feedback. I've edited the listing's text to update conditions, etc of the cache.

I've seen where you can even move the cach up to 528' if you subsequently find a better hiding spot. However, I've never had a need to do that. (also be forwarned that moving in multiple 528' increments is a NO-NO)

You can definitely modify it later. However, I think if you make significant changes you are probably better off archiving the original one and relisting the new one.

You can tweak as often as you need to. I had to change one of mine from a full size trading cache to a micro due to the increasing cost of replacing swag and containers due to stealthless cachers.

I have also moved a pair of mine due to cachers destroying an area while hunting, as they thought it was in a lamp post cover. The lamp post covers were caulked down, and that is NOT where it was. Never fear, folks hunting for it busted out the tools, and pried the covers off.

The more you hunt, though, the more ideas you will have as far as hide methods, containers, camouflage, etc. Good luck!