Gps Units.....

bearlookin4cache

I was comparing the Garmins and the Magellans on the Markets. How is the explorist 500 compared to the e-trex legend? Does the explorist 500 have a compass built in? Do you need a built in compass? Or just a separate compass?

thanks

jen

Comparing the eXplorist 500 and the eTrex Legend isn't really fair. They are at totally different price points. The Legend is more of an entry level unit (selling for around $120) while the 500 is a high end unit (selling for around $270). A more realistic comparison would be an eXplorist 500 vs a Garmin Legend CX or a 60CX

The 500 does not have a magnetic compass. Its a nice to have, but not a necessity. There are actually some people who prefer not having a magnetic compass in their unit. A $10 handheld does as good, if not a better job.

Probably the hottest deal in the market today: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...Id=2159751&cid=

I know , it's Radio Shack but sometimes you can get a good deal there if you hold yor nose for a few minutes. Also, COSTCO runs specials every once in awhile. Shop around. Don't forget to get the new battery clip if you get the exp 4, 5, or 600 unit since that will free you from their proprietary battery. Also there have been some deals on the new 500 LE which comes with the clip. Overall though, you will find love if you get a Garmin X unit. For the most part, things like a built in compass are, in practical terms, useless/worthless add-ons. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Edited by Team Cotati

Which Garmin unit is better? thanks...jen

Probably the hottest deal in the market today: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...Id=2159751&cid=

I know , it's Radio Shack but sometimes you can get a good deal there if you hold yor nose for a few minutes. Also, COSTCO runs specials every once in awhile. Shop around. Don't forget to get the new battery clip if you get the exp 4, 5, or 600 unit since that will free you from their proprietary battery. Also there have been some deals on the new 500 LE which comes with the clip. Overall though, you will find love if you get a Garmin X unit. For the most part, things like a built in compass are, in practical terms, useless/worthless add-ons. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I know , it's Radio Shack but sometimes you can get a good deal there if you hold yor nose for a few minutes. Also, COSTCO runs specials every once in awhile. Shop around. Don't forget to get the new battery clip if you get the exp 4, 5, or 600 unit since that will free you from their proprietary battery. Also there have been some deals on the new 500 LE which comes with the clip. Overall though, you will find love if you get a Garmin X unit. For the most part, things like a built in compass are, in practical terms, useless/worthless add-ons. :laughing::(:laughing:

I really don't know, but I do know that SOMEONE does. They'll probably be along shortly. :laughing:;):laughing:

Edited by Team Cotati

Sometimes the Magellan vs. Garmin debate can get kind of heated because some people are pretty devoted fans of one or the other. It should be noted, however, that these aren't the only two manufacturers of handheld gps's. You may want to look at Lowrance, for instance.

I have both a Magellan SportTrack Pro and a Garmin GPSMap 60csx. I obviously prefer the Garmin--because it is much newer and has better accuracy, color, and higher resolution, as well as expandable memory. But I was very satisfied with my Magellan and looked at the explorist series. One of the things that sold me on the Garmin was the color (256 colors, as opposed to 16 color for Magellan), the antenna, and the menu set up. As with any high-end purchase the more research you do, the more satisfied you will be with your purchase. The look and feel of the Garmins is a little different than the Magellans. Ideally, try and go to a brick and mortar outdoor goods store to hold the two and compare. You won't need to necessarily find the exact model you'd be interested in, i.e. the Garmin GPSMap 60c will be the same size and shape as the 60csx, less some features. Then, when you decide on one you like, search online for the best deal. :laughing:

I was comparing the Garmins and the Magellans on the Markets. How is the explorist 500 compared to the e-trex legend? Does the explorist 500 have a compass built in? Do you need a built in compass? Or just a separate compass?

thanks

jen

So many points to consider... I just got done with this whole thing so let me share what I discovered... Consider the features that you want not the brand. The features will set them apart.

Maybe the easiest choice... external antenna or no? I have been told that Magellan and Garmin are the two best. Many Garmin models have a quad-helix receiving antenna. More on this item later. :laughing:

Do you want it to connect to your PC/MAC? Do you care if it is a serial or usb connection?

Do you want a compass or altimeter?

Usage - just for local caching, or will you use it for navigation as well during travels/journeys/trips? All of the units have different amounts of internal memory. Some of them allow for external memory cards (like the ones you use in a digital camera)

Personal choices for me:

I might drive long distances (other states) and would like to have fairly detailed maps when I go. For me more memory is better.

My serial ports are a pain in the butt to get to, usb is better for me.

My husband HAD to have a compass.

Now I am one of those impatient instant gratification type people. I spent 3 days looking online, and going to a few stores, (Wal-Mart, Big 5, Circuit City, Cabela's, REI, Sears, Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples, Amazon.com, Yahoo Shopping to find a unit). Most of the stores carried the very low end or $600 types. I knew those were not for me. I did however come across the Garmin Legend for a decent price. I brought it home and the next night went to find my fist cache with family.

We DNF 2/2. So user error, or technical difficulty?? Answer is both. After enlisting the help of my father in-law, we returned to the site of the elusive caches with GPSr's in hand. He has a Garmin GPSMap 60cs. I was able to compare the Legend to the 60cs and decided within about 10 min that the 60cs was worth the extra $100 for us.

Comparisons:

Satellite P/U Legend would have 6 satellites when dads had 8. This means that his area of accuracy was better than ours. We would be accurate within 60 feet and he was accurate within 35. More satellites more accurate.

The Legend was less responsive - actually the response time was slower. We had to walk a lot slower for the satellites to keep up when we were within our area of accuracy. Was fine 300 feet away on both but when we got close ours was harder to navigate with.

The Legend has a serial cable, and no external memory. I was going for cheaper and decided just wasn't worth it for me personally. So, I went to yahoo, found the cheapest 60cs I could find and bought it. It is supposed to be delivered tomorrow and it cost less with shipping that any of the locations I could find locally. Locally it was $299. I paid $251 total. I just had to wait for it - and borrow dads for the 4th's treasure hunt party. :laughing:

Good Luck. Mary

"Better" is relative. It depends on what you are looking for in a unit. If its compact size, something like the Venture CX, Legend CX or Vista CX would be good choices. If its very sensitive reception, the 60X(s)X and 76C(s)X units are the way to go.

The Garmin 60CSX and 76CSX are pretty much the cream of Garmin's handheld line. If you act fast, Garmin has a $100 rebate on their 76CX and 76CSX units (until July 7th). The 76 units are functionally identical to the 60 units, but have a different case and come with a bigger memory card.

I've only owned Garmin's, but I recently upgraded from a 60C to a 60CSx, and I can vouch for the x making a huge difference in sensitivity. I get good signal in wooded areas where I had no signal previously. It also acquires noticably faster. I'm so happy with it.

Rainking

"Better" is relative. It depends on what you are looking for in a unit. If its compact size, something like the Venture CX, Legend CX or Vista CX would be good choices. If its very sensitive reception, the 60X(s)X and 76C(s)X units are the way to go.

The Garmin 60CSX and 76CSX are pretty much the cream of Garmin's handheld line. If you act fast, Garmin has a $100 rebate on their 76CX and 76CSX units (until July 7th). The 76 units are functionally identical to the 60 units, but have a different case and come with a bigger memory card.

I found this to be true during my research. The big difference between the 76 and the 60 units is in their physical design. Some prefer having the buttons on the top, others below. I suggest you try holding the units to see which you like better. The more natural fit for me is the 60 unit with the buttons on the bottom, but this is probably because that's how my first gpsr was laid out.

I've only owned Garmin's, but I recently upgraded from a 60C to a 60CSx, and I can vouch for the x making a huge difference in sensitivity. I get good signal in wooded areas where I had no signal previously. It also acquires noticably faster. I'm so happy with it.

Rainking

I can vouch for the quad helix antenna. The sat reception on the "x" series really is great! However, in my mind it is debatable how much that is going to help with geocaching--after all, your gpsr will only get you as close to the cache as the cache owner's gpsr's coordinates will allow.

If you want to use the gpsr for road navigation, consider that the Garmin "x" series allow you to attach an external antenna, and their expandable memory means that you could load up maps for almost as much of the country as you'd like. I have used mine for road navigation and found it to be easy to use: the unit auto-routes you to a waypoint (geocache) or an address and will auto re-route you if you get off course. It also warns you when a turn is coming up with an audible beep. The screen is clear, crisp, and easy to read. Also, I have had no problem getting good reception in my Durango with the internal antenna.

:laughing:

The 76 units are functionally identical to the 60 units, but have a different case and come with a bigger memory card.

Don't forget to mention that the 76 case will enable the unit to float if dropped in the water off a boat. Many other units are waterproof but they don't float. Waterproof will do you no good if you drop the gps in 30ft of water. At least the fish at the bottom will know their coordinates now. <_<

What did you pay for the Legend? The only potential problem with the little blue Legend is that it connect to a computer with the Serial Port . . . and some newer computers don't have a serial port, so you have to buy a USB to Serial adapter cable.

For Geocaching the Legend will work just fine, however I would have recommended a Garmin GPSr that connects to a computer with USB.

A better cpmparison the the Basic legend would be the Magellan Explorist 210, It is about the same price and size.

THe Explorist 210 has more memory 22MB compared to the legends 8MB

The Exlporist will due auto routing when used with Magellans Direct route software, the legend will not auto route

Explorst 210 USB port, legend Serial port

As far as the explorist 500LE (the old 500 is no longer made) it use standerd batteries. The Batteries in the original Exp 500 are not propriatery. The older 500 uses a motorola cell phone battery that can be found on e-bay for about $3.00

Magnetic compass in a GPS. Not needed, I use a real compass, they are about $10.00

pretty new here but thought i would add my .02 to this convo..might be too late..lol

we have a garmin nuvi 350 that we had prior to caching and it is FANTASTIC for road nav.....when we started caching we had already dumped $380 bucks on the brand new nuvi *a good deal mind you cause most places sell them for 499+*...the 60 series garmin handheld caught my eye...BUT for money sake

we went out and got the lil yellow garmin etrex the basic model one and it works just fine for caching.....we normally use the nuvi to get us close as the etrex has no base map then when its trail time or urban caching time whatever....we bust out the etrex...

hasnt been too far off yet and for 80 bucks brand new it gets good reception in the woods.....and if i drop it i wont cry too much cause it wasnt that expensive and its waterproof

keep in mind this is the opinion of a newb with only 10 caches found and experience with only these 2 gpsr mentioned..lol