The "feep" Contest -- Coming Soon

Lemon Fresh Dog

I thought I would have some fun and create a contest for fellow cachers around the globe that cannot play the official Jeep contest.

First off -- I really respect and appreciate the Jeep company making such a year-after-year commitment to our obsessive hobby. So this is NOT a contest to annoy anyone. It's for FUN.

The "FEEP" is a fake-Jeep Travel Bug. I will release a few dozen and anyone logging one into a cache before a 30-day holding time will be entered into a completely unofficial draw to win something. -- probably an assortment of geocoins and goodies.

However, I do need some help initially. Does anyone know the scale of the various official Jeep Travel Bugs? I know that the white ones are huge compared to the little yellow ones -- and the Green ones also look smaller. My plan is to buy a dozen or two of each of the toys and then launch the FEEP's by mid-August.

At that time, I will also likely ask some cachers in different parts of the world (including Alaska and Hawaii) to recieve some via post and launch them in their areas.

PLEASE take this for what it is --- just some fun. AGAIN.... I appreciate the real JEEP contest and this is just a way to piggy-back on a fun idea.

We're in! Will even toss in a few shiny new 2006 Alaska geocoins which should be out by then.

We'd also be happy to launch a few of the FEEPs from up here. I sent the link to this thread to Scobey, PedalPushin, and Northwes, so you might be hearing from them, too.

Yup! Sounds good! We'de be glad to launch one or more from here.

I thought I would have some fun and create a contest for fellow cachers around the globe that cannot play the official Jeep contest.

Will Florida be allowed in this contest? I think they were not permitted in the first two jeep contests (and maybe this one? noone seems to know).

At that time, I will also likely ask some cachers in different parts of the world (including Alaska and Hawaii) to recieve some via post and launch them in their areas.

PLEASE take this for what it is --- just some fun. AGAIN.... I appreciate the real JEEP contest and this is just a way to piggy-back on a fun idea.

I'll be willing to release one or two here in Germany. Just email me via my profile.

DC

Edited by DcCow

Will Florida be allowed in this contest? I think they were not permitted in the first two jeep contests (and maybe this one? noone seems to know).

Florida was never excluded from the Travel Bug portion of the contest. This is a common misconception. Only the sweepstakes was prohibited for Florida entrants because of their draconian laws.

:D Awesome Idea, I actually think the white Jeeps are 1:24 scale. How about you make up a generic ' FEEP business card size info card that we can copy/laminate. I'd be willing to send a couple somewhere other than the lower 48. I know a few cachers in Europe that would go nuts for the idea. :D

Florida was never excluded from the Travel Bug portion of the contest. This is a common misconception. Only the sweepstakes was prohibited for Florida entrants because of their draconian laws.

What else could they be excluded from? The Travel bugs go everywhere <_<

What else could they be excluded from? The Travel bugs go everywhere :huh:

Winning a Jeep? :unsure:

yea

What else could they be excluded from? The Travel bugs go everywhere <_<

Whoa! Offensive material -- it makes you wonder what it was! haha!

I just ordered 30 of the little cars to start, but they are going fast! Here's part of the e-mail I recieved:

"We have just got a influx of orders of these models today. Many orders. Many large quantities. In following the referrals to us, I see that it is the result of Jeep choosing this little model for their geocaching travel bug. Is that why you want them also. In any case, as a result we are soon to run out."

They were on sale for $2, but are now back at $2.50 per Jeep. As soon as I get them I will "Feep" them and start the process of releasing them into the wild!

I like the idea of a laminated tag, so will work on getting that created as well.

No custom icon though :rolleyes:

I'm probably going to limit release to non-continental US at this point. Just because everyone in the lower 48 states can get the real Jeeps. I appreciate the offer though. With my measly 30 "Feeps" I can't compete with the 5000 real ones!

Haha! :anicute: It will be fun to watch them travel around. I hope that each of them gets logged 10-40 times.

Hello there,

I never thought of using the older Jeep models -- mostly because I didn't have a source to buy them. I am planning on just using the new ones.

This is going to be a lot of fun! I think I'll be able to get them far and wide (remember -- I only have 30 so far, so it's not a huge amount). I'll contact folks once they are ready to go (I plan sometime around the first week of August.

I'll definately try to go for a wide geography.

If I could, I would LOVE to have custom icon for the finders, but that can of worms is way too crazy. If it was even possible, the cost and numbers would be way out of line.

For prizes? I have a few cool geocoins and some folks have kicked in some items (thanks). There are no official rules, there is no corporate sponsorship .... this is just a fun way to play a game within a game.

Whoa! Offensive material -- it makes you wonder what it was! haha!

I just ordered 30 of the little cars to start, but they are going fast! Here's part of the e-mail I recieved:

"We have just got a influx of orders of these models today. Many orders. Many large quantities. In following the referrals to us, I see that it is the result of Jeep choosing this little model for their geocaching travel bug. Is that why you want them also. In any case, as a result we are soon to run out."

They were on sale for $2, but are now back at $2.50 per Jeep. As soon as I get them I will "Feep" them and start the process of releasing them into the wild!

I like the idea of a laminated tag, so will work on getting that created as well.

No custom icon though :rolleyes:

I just bought 12 of these to launch and if you go here, they are $2.00 and if you go here, they are $2.50 . I bet you can guess where I ordered mine :laughing: ?

I'm probably going to limit release to non-continental US at this point. Just because everyone in the lower 48 states can get the real Jeeps. I appreciate the offer though. With my measly 30 "Feeps" I can't compete with the 5000 real ones!

Haha! It will be fun to watch them travel around. I hope that each of them gets logged 10-40 times.

Hi, i didnt read through the whole thread but i would certainly like to get one of the Feeps moving down here in southeast Texas.

This may have been brought up already but, have you thought about maybe letting others around the world buy the Jeeps (Feeps) themselves? If you came up with an easy find model for those interested, then we could get a bunch of them out and about. You could design the TB tag and either send it out physically or send an email with the design parameters to everyone involved to make and attach themselves. I imagine you would have plenty of cachers everywhere who would want to be part of this for sure!

:P

The "Feeps" have shipped! I have a bunch of the "Feeps" enroute to Canada and when they arrive I will get them ready for deployment in the first week of August.

I'll contact folks for deployment -- (and only in areas that can't get the real ones :laughing: )

In fact, finding a "Feep" will be much more exciting than finding a "Jeep". After all -- there are 5000 "Jeeps", but only 30 "Feeps"! :laughing:

-- of course, a "Jeep" gets you an icon. My "Feep"? Nada....except, of course that you get an entry into the contest for each time you move it from cache to cache (an NO, you cannot drop it and just pick it up again -- you have to LET IT GO!). -- which I hope happens.

Hey? Do you think that Groundspeak will contact me and offer to create a custom icon for the "Feep"? :laughing::laughing:

It would be an extremely cool gesture towards all the geocachers in the rest of the world.

Could it be done with a special “geocoin” looking just like a normal travel bug tag? The advantage is we could have our own icon. Perhaps a red Jeep icon, or a jeep icon rotated 180°

Zilvervloot.

haha! It's not going to happen. I'm sure Groundspeak is pretty busy without this on their plate. :o

At first, I thought an icon of a Jeep with a red circle and slash would be cool, but we have to remember that there is a real contest going on here and we REALLY want to keep the good folks at the real Jeep place happy (after all, this hobby only has two corporate sponsors that I know of: Jeep and Trimble for Trash Day)

Would it be cool? -- Yeah!

Will it happen? -- I'm not holding my breath :)

The "Feeps" have shipped! I have a bunch of the "Feeps" enroute to Canada and when they arrive I will get them ready for deployment in the first week of August.

I'll contact folks for deployment -- (and only in areas that can't get the real ones :laughing: )

In fact, finding a "Feep" will be much more exciting than finding a "Jeep". After all -- there are 5000 "Jeeps", but only 30 "Feeps"! :lol:

-- of course, a "Jeep" gets you an icon. My "Feep"? Nada....except, of course that you get an entry into the contest for each time you move it from cache to cache (an NO, you cannot drop it and just pick it up again -- you have to LET IT GO!). -- which I hope happens.

Hey? Do you think that Groundspeak will contact me and offer to create a custom icon for the "Feep"? :laughing::P

Well I just received the 12 I ordered. I will be setting these free soon here in the states. Have you come up with a cache page design and wording? I was just going to use the same wording as the WJTB's but if you have already came up with something would you mind if I used it here in the states so they are all the same?

I haven't come up with anything yet (work, travel, work, work...)

I am just thinking of a laminated square that says:

"Congratulations you HAVEN'T found a Jeep .... You've found a "FEEP".

This fake Jeep looks just like the ones used in the annual Jeep contest for

2006. These "Feep"'s (Fake Jeeps) are intended to travel all over the world

-- EXCEPT the lower 48 US states (they get "real" ones).

Log it, move it, and you might win a prize! (nothing huge)

Please keep this "Feep" moving from cache to cache. Do not keep it

or just carry it from event to event. It's a "Feep" and needs to move!

(if you want to buy one, contact "All Things Jeep" - that's where this one came from.

I don't know how this would look, but the reverse side would have a little Jeep picture with the circle and slash (eg. no-smoking style).

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

I think that would be great on a card. You could considering editing first two sentences as below, then you only have to say "Fake Jeep" once.

"Congratulations you HAVEN'T found a Jeep .... You've found a Fake Jeep (FEEP).

This FEEP looks just like the ones used in the annual Jeep contest for

2006. These "Feep"'s are intended to travel all over the world

-- EXCEPT the lower 48 US states (they get "real" ones).

Sure! Why not? Just follow these simple guidelines:

1) Make sure the name of the bug starts with "Feep": <name>

2) Let me know you have released them so I can make sure to search for "Feep" during my random, non-scheduled, unscientific, unofficial, good-will, having fun contest drawings. B)

(try it today! -- go to Travel Bugs, select "advanced Search" and search by keyword "Feep" (don't use the quotes)

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

Yes, -- so far there are only three Feeps in the world, but in a couple weeks we;ll have all of the ones I am launching, the ones Welch gratiously supplied (Welch and Madelaine) and any others that folks decide to launch on their own.

"Feep" #4: Max has been activated, and will be on its way out of the Lower 48 tomorrow :huh:

I sent "Max" off to Hawaii yesterday. (Now I'm envious of a toy car! :huh: )

LFD, how did you end up attaching the tag to your Feeps? We couldn't find a good place for it, and ended up drilling holes through the driver's side window and the opposite passenger window, and putting the chain through the holes. Was there an easier way that we didn't even notice?

HAHA! :laughing:

Great! -- now the "Feeps" will be rarer than the "Jeeps" :laughing: So far, I have had a few folks either launch their own and/or send me ones to lauch in addition to the ones I have launched. However, the ratio of "feep" to "jeep" is 5000:32

yipes!

Here's a photo of "Feep" #1:Hudson

Well it is s good thing I came back into this thread. I have all my tags attaches to the Jeeps and ready to be launched. Is there a standard text you want us all to use? I would love these to be uniform.

I have already sent you one but I can still change the text on all of them. Please feel free to email if you would like otherwise I will let them go as is.

For what it is worth I took the decsription of the WJTB's and used it for the GJTB's. I did not call them "Feeps" and did not attach a tag to them with any text. I can make changes to all 8 of the first ones I am going to send out just let me know what to put on them.