Too Hot To Go Out - Too Hot To Stay In!

I know we shouldn't complain about nice weather, but personally I like the cold. I can just put a hat on and a thicker jumper and it's not a problem. But in this heat, apart from taking lots of cool showers, I don't know how to keep cool.

Do any cachers have any techniques to share? Perhaps you focus on underground caches (where's Alpha Quest Y when you need it?!) or stick to drive-by caches you can do from your air-con'd car. What about indoors? I have a fan going, and I am eating an ice-cream, but what more could I be doing?

Any advice, blah blah blah :huh:

I don't know how to keep cool.

Do any cachers have any techniques to share? Perhaps you focus on underground caches?

Any advice, blah blah blah :blink:

Stick clear of mentioning underground caches as it always seems to get flaming hot whenever caves are mentioned; but then maybe that's just a moot point? By the way did you know that moot means arguable, at issue, contestable, controversial, debatable, disputable, dubious, open, problematic, questionable, suspect, uncertain, undecided, unresolved, unsettled? <_<:huh::huh:

Can someone get me another Pimms please! :)

I don't know how to keep cool.

Do any cachers have any techniques to share? Perhaps you focus on underground caches?

Any advice, blah blah blah :blink:

Stick clear of mentioning underground caches as it always seems to get flaming hot whenever caves are mentioned;

As long as its not a latex micro cache in a plastic bag hidden in an underground dry stone wall you should be OK. :)

To keep cool in this weath SP i pop into our refrigerated warehouse <_<

Ill get me coat :huh:

I cycle between 10 and 17 miles in the mornings most days getting home around 11.30am - usually along nice shady trails where there's a nice cooling breeze. Come home and hop into a cool shower then spend the afternoon reading or doing college work out in the garden in the shade. <_<

If i'm in college i sit at the PC closest to the air-con unit :)

Although I do wish that Saturdays (my main caching day) could be a litttler cooler, in this heat even the simplest of caches can be hard work and all i want to do is flop in the shade or find a nice beer garden :blink:

I did a series of 7 new caches heading out of Banbury along the canal yesterday, but didn't set off until 4pm so it had cooled down enough to be comfortable, plus being along the canal it was a little cooler. So maybe the plan would be to either cache late afternoon/evening instead of morning/afternoon and pick caches near water?

Normally Avon Dasset hills where myself and JollyJax have the Windy City cache, there's a strong breeze blowing which we were hoping would make all the hill climbing cooler, but it was a still as anything and faar to hot :huh:

The walk-in cold room brings back good memories of the Happy Little Chef Eater I used to work in on the A41 outside Waddesdon. But it's doing nothing for my run-away over-heating!

Ours is a little bigger 14000 pallet spaces to be precise :huh: . The air con in the office helps as well. :)

I always used to say that if I had to pay extra for Air-Con they could keep it.

I have had Air Con in the car for 4 years now, And if I had to pay extra for it now I certainly would it's

great.

The only caching we done this weekend was driving around the Thetford area doing the clues for A multi-cache and have left the final (now we now were it is) until it gets cooler.

We have two Lhasa Apso's with full coats,Bramble and Mop and they do not like it hot either.

Kevin. (Jackplug)

You could always pop up to Edinburgh, we haven't seen the sun for the past two days, very wet and clammy at the moment. :laughing::laughing:

Or even up to Perth yesterday, where Thundebird30 and I were thoroughly drenched by the sudden thunderstorm that crept up on us whilst out caching.

And boy, was it heavy....

How to stay cool in the summer and stay involved with geocaching at the same time? Stay at home and surf the forums :laughing: . Or perhaps that's why we seem to have so many PNG's here in Panama City, FL. It really feels like a jungle here, in the summertime. Current conditions: around 96 F/36 C with 80% relative humidity. The heat index is over 100 F! :laughing:

Interesting. Perhaps someone who knows the secret ways of the Internet can tell me/us the coldest place in the UK, on average. I assume it's the top of Ben Nevis, but you never know...

Fraid not, the average annual temperatre on Ben Nevis is -0.2ºC, and for July 5.4ºC. However due to the proximity of the Ben to the Atlantic Ocean the lapse rate is only 6.4ºC/1000m. In the Cairngorms it is higher so that the average annual temperatre on Ben MacDui is --0.6ºC, but the mean July is higher at 6.4ºC. However the Brecon Beacons have the highest lapse rate of 7.4ºC/1000m so maybe you should head up Pen y Fan. :laughing: -Signal panting :laughing:

Chae

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

The heat has been too much for me. It makes me tired, grumpy and lethargic - I just cant be bothered to do anything. So, when a colleague at work went off sick, I actually volunteered to come in on my day off. The main reason? Not to help my company out of a scrape, and not out of the goodness of my heart, to help a colleague in distress. My motives were entirely selfish, to come in and enjoy the benfits of air conditioning. Its not all bad at work, as I am still able to look through the forums. :ph34r::anicute:

Interesting. Perhaps someone who knows the secret ways of the Internet can tell me/us the coldest place in the UK, on average. I assume it's the top of Ben Nevis, but you never know...

Fraid not, the average annual temperatre on Ben Nevis is -0.2ºC, and for July 5.4ºC. However due to the proximity of the Ben to the Atlantic Ocean the lapse rate is only 6.4ºC/1000m. In the Cairngorms it is higher so that the average annual temperatre on Ben MacDui is --0.6ºC, but the mean July is higher at 6.4ºC. However the Brecon Beacons have the highest lapse rate of 7.4ºC/1000m so maybe you should head up Pen y Fan. :anicute: -Signal panting :ph34r:

Chae

Worked for me! the above sent me straight to sleep trying to work it all out, first time in the last few days as its been soo hot at night to even bother to sleep. Well Done!

Coldest place in Britain is Braemar.

It is a result of cold air flowing down several glens and being dammed a short way downstream down the course of the Dee at Invercauld. The cold air sinks and the temperature gets lower and lower and lower. Most winters it gets below -20°C and several times -27° has been recorded.

On a cold calm winter's day, it's common when driving South to see an air temperature of -10°C on the car instruments as you drive through Braemar becoming a balmy -1°C at the top of the Glenshee Pass, even though you're climbing from 1,090'amsl to 2,160' at the ski centre's carpark.

Unless you factor in windchill, it's a myth that the coldest places in Britain are the mountain tops.

Take off T-shirt

Soak T-shirt in stream/under tap

Put on T-shirt

This reminds me of a cookery tip I once read and have used to good effect a couple of times. If you are cooking for a dinner party, Christmas Dinner etc. and will be slaving over a hot stove until the last minute but still want to appear cool, calm and collected when dinner is served, put a fresh shirt or blouse in to the freezer about 15 minutes before the meal will be ready. Then at the last minute take it out of the freezer and change. Lovely!

The only dangers are if one of the guests comes in to the kitchen while you are still partially dressed or you miscalculate and leave it in too long in which case you need to beat it with a wooden spoon until it will bend enough for you to put it on.

Not a piece of advice that can be easily adapted while caching but a useful to cool off when you get home.

I know we shouldn't complain about nice weather, but personally I like the cold.
Nice weather is just about finished, so you can stop complaining now SP. :D
Yep, I'm taking it all back. If only I could rename this thread 'Too Wet To Go Out - Too Cold To Go Out! :D :D

I hope London's ok for my caching trip into town tomorrow.

I know we shouldn't complain about nice weather, but personally I like the cold. I can just put a hat on and a thicker jumper and it's not a problem. But in this heat, apart from taking lots of cool showers, I don't know how to keep cool.

Do any cachers have any techniques to share? Perhaps you focus on underground caches (where's Alpha Quest Y when you need it?!) or stick to drive-by caches you can do from your air-con'd car. What about indoors? I have a fan going, and I am eating an ice-cream, but what more could I be doing?

Any advice, blah blah blah :laughing:

We went hiking along the SW Coastal path on a spectacularly hot day (and wearing long trousers too, to keep bugs from the undergrowth off our legs)

We got 2.5 caches as well (ran out of energy before getting the last leg of a multi). It's not so bad when you can wear what's comfortable and you're indulging multiple hobbies at the same time (in this case hiking, photography and geocaching)