Hard To Get Trackables?

DM500HD

What in your opinion are 'the hard to get' trackable geocoins? And with trackable I mean trackable at geocaching.com. In my opinion they are:

1) Moun10Bike V1

2) Moun10Bike V2

3) Moun10Bike V3

4) First Finders Dance GCC

5) Geowoodstock III

Do I miss some coins, and in what order?

What in your opinion are 'the hard to get' trackable geocoins? And with trackable I mean trackable at geocaching.com. In my opinion they are:

1) Moun10Bike V1

2) Moun10Bike V2

3) Moun10Bike V3

4) First Finders Dance GCC

5) Geowoodstock III

Do I miss some coins, and in what order?

I think you've got the first two right since they were out there before the trackable geocoin onslaught started. There are some other trackables that were never offered for sale though (as far as I know) that could easily be in the top 5 (not sure about the order).

They'd include:

1. Groundspeak Lackey

2. geoPirat

3. Jeep'n Jumpers

4. Darthi

5. Ajayhawkfan

6. Johnny Boy & D.B. Cooper

Edited by Vertigoat

I think you've got the first two right since they were out there before the trackable geocoin onslaught started. There are some other trackables that were never offered for sale though (as far as I know) that could easily be in the top 5 (not sure about the order).

They'd include:

1. Groundspeak Lackey

2. geoPirat

3. Jeep'n Jumpers

4. Darthi

5. Ajayhawkfan

6. Johnny Boy & D.B. Cooper

OK, I will tell you what we have right now:

First Finders Dance (in hand)

Geowoodstock III (in hand)

Midwest Geobash (in hand)

Moun10Bike V3 (coming)

Volunteer (in hand)

Which of the Vertigoat top-6 ( :laughing: ) would be your next goal for a hunt and which of these is 'easy' to catch?

What about the MiGO, Fall 2005 coin? It is trackable, and I've personally offered everything from body parts, to cold hard cash, to half my coin collection for one of these, and still have no takers. :laughing:

Not even on e-Sale? :laughing:

There are variations on some fairly common trackable coins that are indeed very rare. In addition to the MIGO seasonals I'd include things like the bronze Geowoodstock III volunteer coin and the Delugly Delaware coin. I think there were some other state coins too that may have had only a handful of coins minted in a particular metal.

I appologize if this is a silly question.

What makes Moun10Bike's version 3 coin hard to get? We wrote to him asn asked for a trade and he agreed to one. It didn't seem difficult, so I guess I don't understand. Can anyone explain it to me? Thanks

I think if you don't have a personal geocoin to trade to him, it's difficult to obtain. You'd have to find one in a cache that he drops it in or buy one on ebay, which is frowned upon.

I may be mistaken, but I think the Moun10bike coin, in all its various iterations, is probably second only to the USA geocoin in the number in circulation. However, since it's only been available through trades and finds, very few people have a spare one to trade. A year ago, it was the "rare" icon that practically no one had unless they had some connection to the Pacific Northwest. I think that same sense of rarity continues, even though there seems to be several around now.

I may be mistaken, but I think the Moun10bike coin, in all its various iterations, is probably second only to the USA geocoin in the number in circulation. However, since it's only been available through trades and finds, very few people have a spare one to trade. A year ago, it was the "rare" icon that practically no one had unless they had some connection to the Pacific Northwest. I think that same sense of rarity continues, even though there seems to be several around now.

There are many coins that have larger numbers than the Moun10Bike coins. If you're counting iterations, most state coins runs have way more coins in circulation. My guess would be Texas, followed by Michigan. I'm not sure how many coins in the USA set, but I bet that Canadian coins are the second highest.

According to the Monsterlist of Geocoins, the total number of Moun10Bike coins are 900 for all the iterations. While this is an impressive number for a personal coins, it's probably about average for most state/region coins. What makes the number even more impressive is that they were not sold.

I've been collecting Geocoins for over four years now and the ones I've seen the least available, are the GD "Mystery Coin" and the GC Square Project coins.

For the rarist coins, I'd look at the Team Fisur Geocoin list. The first and second columns have probably the hardest coins to find, or even trade for.

There are many coins that have larger numbers than the Moun10Bike coins. If you're counting iterations, most state coins runs have way more coins in circulation. My guess would be Texas, followed by Michigan. I'm not sure how many coins in the USA set, but I bet that Canadian coins are the second highest.

According to the Monsterlist of Geocoins, the total number of Moun10Bike coins are 900 for all the iterations. While this is an impressive number for a personal coins, it's probably about average for most state/region coins. What makes the number even more impressive is that they were not sold.

I've been collecting Geocoins for over four years now and the ones I've seen the least available, are the GD "Mystery Coin" and the GC Square Project coins.

For the rarist coins, I'd look at the Team Fisur Geocoin list. The first and second columns have probably the hardest coins to find, or even trade for.

I think there are other GC-trackable Moun10bike coin items too though (like the Christmas medals) aren't there? That would put the number at least > 1100 which would be beyond most state coins. As far as GC trackable coins, (which the original post was about), I'd be surprised if there are very many of the new GC trackable Canadian coins out in circulation.

I think there are other GC-trackable Moun10bike coin items too though (like the Christmas medals) aren't there? That would put the number at least > 1100 which would be beyond most state coins. As far as GC trackable coins, (which the original post was about), I'd be surprised if there are very many of the new GC trackable Canadian coins out in circulation.

Yep the Christmas Coinament's are trackable and also possibly his Moun10Tyke Micro coins (if you count the coins he had made for his son). I can't remember offhand if they're trackable or not.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Since GC-Trackable is a relatively new feature, not available until recently to any other coins but the Moun10Bike Series. That really narrows down the rarist/oldest coin to a group of one.

The MIGO Fall 2005 was released before tracking was made available. For that matter so was the Spring. The Summer MIGO was the first of that group.

Since Canadian, Texas and other coins did have a tracking feature, albeit not through GC.com, their original and subsequent mintings count would exceed well over 1000.

Throughout the many postings I've seen about tracking, I've noticed a "snobishness" towards coins produced prior to Groundspeaks current Coin Tracking Policy. The service for trackable coins simply wasn't made available to anyone but the Moun10Bike series, until this last year or so.

I've seen on several occasions where people have posted messages about being very upset that the coins they just found in a cache or traded for, wasn't going to get them an icon. To not consider a group of geocoins because they don't have an associated icon in your stats, leaves out a large number of pioneering GEOCOINS by teams and organizations.

I've seen on several occasions where people have posted messages about being very upset that the coins they just found in a cache or traded for, wasn't going to get them an icon. To not consider a group of geocoins because they don't have an associated icon in your stats, leaves out a large number of pioneering GEOCOINS by teams and organizations.

Amen, brother.

To answer a question above - the Moun10Tyke coins are not numbered nor are they trackable.

Amen, brother.

The thing is though unless a coin is GC trackable it's not an official part of the "game" and you don't "score" a find. Granted there are a lot of non-trackable coins that are as well designed and nice to look at as any trackable coin but without the GC trackability, they're just another form of personalized swag. I don't think practically anyone ever moves a non-trackable coin from cache to cache. Functionally, they could just as easily be a nice personalized paperweight or keychain fob.

The thing is though unless a coin is GC trackable it's not an official part of the "game" and you don't "score" a find. Granted there are a lot of non-trackable coins that are as well designed and nice to look at as any trackable coin but without the GC trackability, they're just another form of personalized swag. I don't think practically anyone ever moves a non-trackable coin from cache to cache. Functionally, they could just as easily be a nice personalized paperweight or keychain fob.

I didn't realize that I had to register every McToy and golfball in my cache for it to count as part of geocaching. Do I need to have a my GPSr have an official GC.com certification so I can continue playing?

There are other places to have things tracked.

I didn't realize that I had to register every McToy and golfball in my cache for it to count as part of geocaching. Do I need to have a my GPSr have an official GC.com certification so I can continue playing?

There are other places to have things tracked.

If you want them to show up on your stats page and if GC.com would agree to do it, I think the answer is "yes". :D

Obviously there are lots of ways to have fun with the GPS system if you're creative. As far as GC.com registering a "find" for a cache, a travel bug, a jeep, or a coin, the possibilities are pretty limited. I think a Team A.I. crystal paperweight would be as nice as a non-trackable coin and would be something I could use every day. :D

Wow, how did I miss this thread way back when? So, there are people that believe that if a coin is not trackable or numbered it's not part of "the game"? Ok, I think I've heard it all now. That about sums up what coins have become.

Yep, i've had people who flat out refused to want to trade personals with me before because my v1 nero coin was not trackable on gc.com with its own icon. where as most people who collect personal coins are more realistic and understand that they will be in a collection and not travel anyway.

I don't care anything about personals being trackable, with or without icons, etc. If someone wont trade personals because mine isn't trackable, then its their loss. If the only reason they would trade is to get another Icon, then they clearly aren't interested in our coin, which greatly reduces my interest in their coin.

I do understand if they only trade in person, or if they only place their coins in caches, or another similar trading restriction.

A true value of a geocoin is not always its trackablility. There are still coins being produced now that do not include gc.com trackablity.

I think a better standard to judge coins is their reflection of the sport of geocaching in general and those who play the game. I have countless number of coins in my collection that aren't trackable. I value those far more than the coins with tracking numbers.

The fees involved in making a coin trackable may not be in the budget for those wishing to produce a coin for their team. Coins produced in a "buy-in", where the people buying front the funds, will more likely than not be trackable.

Whether or not it's trackable on Geocaching.com should never be the sole criteria of defining a Geocoin. As I stated before, tons of coins were produced by geocachers that didn't have the current tracking option available to them.

Wow, how did I miss this thread way back when? So, there are people that believe that if a coin is not trackable or numbered it's not part of "the game"? Ok, I think I've heard it all now. That about sums up what coins have become.

Yep, i've had people who flat out refused to want to trade personals with me before because my v1 nero coin was not trackable on gc.com with its own icon. where as most people who collect personal coins are more realistic and understand that they will be in a collection and not travel anyway.

I've been down this road too...I usually thank them for thier consideration, and tell them that I didn't need their coin that badly anyway.

When they get rude about my coins not being trackable, and a couple from Europe have, I let 'em have it, with both barrels. I don't put up with rude, from anyone.

To HB...I'm guessing you were taking a nap....

[edit--comment to HB added]

['nother edit--spelling]

Edited by Shop99er

Looking at mine and my daads collections we have 477 trackable coins most of which are not activated. Whats the reason to get another icon. Collecting icons is not part of geocaching it is just a side game.

The real geocoins reflect the personalities of the designer. Add to this that the first personal geocoins were not trackable and only later did the moun10bike coins become trackable. And much later was it made available to the masses.

For any true collector of these original coins are the most wanted. who wouldn't want a Fisur, IndyDiver, or any of the other early coins. I very much doubt any of these people woud turn down one of these early non trackable coins as not being a true geocoin since these are the true geocoins.

Team Sand Dollar

Looking at mine and my daads collections we have 477 trackable coins most of which are not activated. Whats the reason to get another icon. Collecting icons is not part of geocaching it is just a side game.

The real geocoins reflect the personalities of the designer. Add to this that the first personal geocoins were not trackable and only later did the moun10bike coins become trackable. And much later was it made available to the masses.

For any true collector of these original coins are the most wanted. who wouldn't want a Fisur, IndyDiver, or any of the other early coins. I very much doubt any of these people woud turn down one of these early non trackable coins as not being a true geocoin since these are the true geocoins.

Team Sand Dollar

Collecting coins is also not part of geocaching, it is also a side game. MB's was the first coin and trackable I don't see the reason why people don't activate them other than to save the potential to sell them later on. For me it IS about the icons, or was until too many icons came out. I collect coins I like and trade with people who I have met.

As with so many aspects of this hobby, there are many ways to play

I know people who only collect GC.com trackable coins

And others who are only interested in personal, non-GC-trackables

Some do only state coins, GC-trackable or not

Unusual shapes, or only round

Just 38mm (1.5in), or only 50mm (2in) plus, or nothing but micros

Domestic or imported, silver or gold, the permutations are almost endless

The usual reasons given for restricting the scope of a collection -

1. overwhelming complexity

2. crippling cost

- - - -

Production stats for Moun10Bike geocoins -

Version 1 - 200

Version 2 - 200

Vesrion 3 - 500

Add to this that the first personal geocoins were not trackable and only later did the moun10bike coins become trackable.

No, my coins were trackable from day 1.

Sorry. My mistake :laughing: .

Time to go hide under some sand.

Team Sand Dollar

ROFL! Maybe you might find inspiration for another of your coins there? :( Just got it in the mail! Thanks!

I think Bhob touched upon it well, coin collecting means different things for different people. I think it's cool so many people have embraced this side hobby.

Shopper99 makes a good point: behind each coin is a person, each coin is unique to that person and often means alot to them, since it's their personal coin, rudeness isn't appreciated and will get you no where in the long run.

To get it back on subject, I recently traded Mertat for one of her antique silver coins, I have been trying so hard to find one since I saw one in Skully and Mulder auctions back in February. I resigned myself not not getting one cause she only trades face to face, but as luck would have it I got to meet her at a recent event. :laughing: So now I can check one of my really really big coin wants off from my list. :(

To get it back on subject, I recently traded Mertat for one of her antique silver coins, I have been trying so hard to find one since I saw one in Skully and Mulder auctions back in February. I resigned myself not not getting one cause she only trades face to face, but as luck would have it I got to meet her at a recent event. :unsure: So now I can check one of my really really big coin wants off from my list. :huh:

Grrrrr.....

To get it back on subject, I recently traded Mertat for one of her antique silver coins, I have been trying so hard to find one since I saw one in Skully and Mulder auctions back in February. I resigned myself not not getting one cause she only trades face to face, but as luck would have it I got to meet her at a recent event. B) So now I can check one of my really really big coin wants off from my list. :D

Grrrrr.....

Well I have a Mertat coin......so I guess I am lucky to have meet such a great cacher and trade coins with her.

But I can not for the life of me lay my hands on a Moun10Bike coin. Maybe next year. I even had a chance Saturday to win one of the 2 were available at our challenge event....but alas we did not get enough points.

B):unsure::huh::o :o :o :o :o :o ;) ;) :P :P B)

I will not give up........

To get it back on subject, I recently traded Mertat for one of her antique silver coins, I have been trying so hard to find one since I saw one in Skully and Mulder auctions back in February. I resigned myself not not getting one cause she only trades face to face, but as luck would have it I got to meet her at a recent event. B) So now I can check one of my really really big coin wants off from my list. B)

Grrrrr.....

Well I have a Mertat coin......so I guess I am lucky to have meet such a great cacher and trade coins with her.

But I can not for the life of me lay my hands on a Moun10Bike coin. Maybe next year. I even had a chance Saturday to win one of the 2 were available at our challenge event....but alas we did not get enough points.

:o;) ;) :P :P :DB):unsure::huh::o :o :o :o :o

I guess this is sort of like the Geocoin Fairy coin that I found in a cache on Ormond Beach, overlooking the blue Pacific Ocean. Pure luck that I happened to go for *that* cache, on *that* beach, just a few days after the coin was put there, and that no one else had found it between the hiding and my finding. I guess we really do need to work on a personal coin B)

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r::o;) ;) ;) ;) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:<_<:unsure::anibad:

Wait a minute...

I have a coin that you *don't* have? I can't believe it! The world must be coming to an end!

Honestly, I think Moun10bike just had mercy on me and made a trade because he know how badly I wanted one of his coins. It sits proudly at the top of my display.

S-4-C

I think Bhob touched upon it well, coin collecting means different things for different people. I think it's cool so many people have embraced this side hobby.

Yep, coins and types collected are quite varied. The few times people didn't want my coin because it wasn't trackable, I was able to offer up a trackable extra coin from my spares to make the trade.

To get it back on subject, I recently traded Mertat for one of her antique silver coins, I have been trying so hard to find one since I saw one in Skully and Mulder auctions back in February. I resigned myself not not getting one cause she only trades face to face, but as luck would have it I got to meet her at a recent event. :laughing: So now I can check one of my really really big coin wants off from my list. :laughing:

Am surprised an icon ho like you wanted a Mertat coin since it's not trackable and doesn't have an icon. So you obviously make some acceptions in your collection as well :laughing:;)

Edited by AtlantaGal

The MIGO Fall 2005 was released before tracking was made available. For that matter so was the Spring. The Summer MIGO was the first of that group.

The MiGO Winter 2005 and Spring 2005 were not trackable. I'm 99.9999% sure that Summer and Fall were. I conferred with Rusty and he confirms this. Only 100 of each coin were made. They are pretty darn scarce.

I wish I had hoarded more. Believe it or not - it took them forever to sell out! I bought 5 extra winters just because it was our Fall event and we had a bunch left over!

The MiGO Winter 2005 and Spring 2005 were not trackable. I'm 99.9999% sure that Summer and Fall were. I conferred with Rusty and he confirms this. Only 100 of each coin were made. They are pretty darn scarce.

There's one on eBay as we speak. I doubt there will be many of these to show up there anymore.

2005 MIGO Summer

They went in minutes when they were sold from what I remember. The winter coin is the only trade I ever made that I got duped on. Still waiting to receive that coin in the mail, or at least a return email from the trader who said they received my coins for it.

Yep, coins and types collected are quite varied. The few times people didn't want my coin because it wasn't trackable, I was able to offer up a trackable extra coin from my spares to make the trade.

To get it back on subject, I recently traded Mertat for one of her antique silver coins, I have been trying so hard to find one since I saw one in Skully and Mulder auctions back in February. I resigned myself not not getting one cause she only trades face to face, but as luck would have it I got to meet her at a recent event. :P So now I can check one of my really really big coin wants off from my list. ;)

Am surprised an icon ho like you wanted a Mertat coin since it's not trackable and doesn't have an icon. So you obviously make some acceptions in your collection as well :D :D

Calling me an Icon Ho? Geocoin Imp! Yeah ok, I admit it, I still like the icons, but I make all kinds of 'acceptions' --- I decided a while back I didn't WANT all the coins with icons, just wanted to log them instead. Now I go after personals of people I have met, events I have attended and coins I really like.

There are quite a few pretty scarce coins out there, but demand determines price, not scarcity.

Rare coins trackable - from Saffier a shiny gold helmet and a black nickel koi- i think there are only 25 of each? the awesome kayakerinme 5 set - gold set 50 minted. The artists editions of some commercial coins are rare eg. 20 silver cent geocoins

Migo pumpkin was on epay recently no takers at about $70 buyitnow - (if you can't swap your rarie for something you want - probably due to having a huge collection the you'll have to convert it to an intermediate form of coin)

Just popping in my other 2 cents here because it's possibly a diifferent perspective ( being upside down and all in southern hemisphere). i collect coins because there aren't a lot of caches down here - a lot of the ones in the area are mine! I've saved the easy ones for my declining years and hope to release a heap of my trackables to enjoy when I become too frail ( amen) to climb those mountains anymore .... GC will still be tracking them in perpetuity right? Admin please note! Except for the silver compass rose which goes into the "last box" with me! This of course will only be listable as a GC cache if it is freestanding outdoors sort of thing .... :D

It's part of the evolution of the game at a personal level- from hunting to hiding to vicarious travelling. We've always loved travel bugs and showing the "visitors" around our neck of the planet is a joy. For us each travelling toy or coin is a guest. Coin collecting is notmuch more expensive than the amount of cash I'd spend stocking, hiding and maintaining, or on petrol and time away from home now to hunt physical caches - considering we are thinking of going overseas to cache. They put me in contact with caches and cachers I'd never have known about like the APE caches for instance which are so much more interesting than chasing some 1/1 in a local part of town. I'm as curious as a cat mentally - it would be nice to hunt some of these physically but just looking will definitely do when it's howling a gale or the floors need sweeping.

When I first started collecting all I wanted was trackables & The added icon was great if it was there ....then I started to see all the great older non trackable coins & as my obsession grew I had to have all of them too !! Still a long long way to go..... Now I see some trackables & don't want them if the coin doesn't do anything for me . I still think of it as a version of art ,albeit commercialized.

In short I buy what I like .

Just my 2 cents