Delorme Topousa

lostinthewuds

Hello again all!

Does anyone here have this soft ware? If so what do you think about it?

I looks pretty sweet to me! I know there are alot of "options" to it but it looks like it would be worth it in the long run.

Looks like it comes with ALOT of goodies too...GPS tracking on your laptop,downloading info from your handheld, route planing, etc, etc.

As always thanks for the help!

lost

I bought the very first version and was very disappointed, Indiana was rendered as a flat, featureless green plain. None of the numerous hills and hollers around here were shown, pretty useless. I haven't tried any versions since so I have no idea if they have improved on that, and I can see it being much more useful in a mountainous state like Mt than a flat one like Indiana also.

+

Although it isn't very detailed, the Garmin Topo maps can be installed to your GPSr. The DeLorme maps cannot.

If I wanted supplemental Topo maps for printing out detailed maps, I think I would get the National Geographic Topos . . .

I have the National Geographic Topo software and it's the one i hardly ever use. You have to swap out disks, it only has 5 zoom levels, and it doesn't seem to give any better detail than the Delorme Topo. I also have Garmin Mapsource which i use in my GPSr. The Delorme is my favorite but i tend to swap between it and the Mapsource when i'm looking up stuff or plotting on the computer!

I bought the very first version and was very disappointed, Indiana was rendered as a flat, featureless green plain. None of the numerous hills and hollers around here were shown, pretty useless. I haven't tried any versions since so I have no idea if they have improved on that, and I can see it being much more useful in a mountainous state like Mt than a flat one like Indiana also.

+

From what I've seen, MOST of the Topo map software on the marked uses 50 feet contour levels. Compare this with the 10 feet contours used on the standard USGS 7.5' series Quadrangle maps and it is fairly easy to see why it shows the glaciated sections of Indiana as featureless plains.

Hello again all!

Does anyone here have this soft ware? If so what do you think about it?

I have their latest version. Beyond what others have said, in general I like it. Note that the current version is the 1st that can import .gpx files. Until now that's been a show-stopper for me as their older versions did not have that capability.

I have some issues w/ the overall GUI. I use the Draw tab a lot to create different layers with waypoints, routes, and so forth. I also have layers w/ surrounding airports as waypoints and concentric circles for each going out 25, 50, and 75 miles. Helps a lot to give a better perspective. The overall Draw tab is, IMO, poorly laid out resulting in one having to constantly switch back/forth between layers and draw tools.

One of the best features is the print options. I can get very clear, crisp color maps printed up to tabloid extra size on our laser printer. You can also print tiled areas to get even larger coverage.

As you may know, Delorme has it's own forum as well: http://forums.delorme.com/

I use the National Geographics Topo. If you have the space you can install the whole thing on your hard drive. The problem is that if you do that for one state you will need to do that for all the states because it won't ask for a CD once you have installed that one state. Since I have it for 5 states I decided to just trade CD's. :anicute: