Visiting Seattle Area--week Of July 17th

Ellenbarger Crew

:)We are going to be visitng the Seattle area and want to do some caches. We are a family of 4 with 2 adults and 2 children (boys 7&9).

Can you reccommend some fun caches? :huh: We love caches that have some history behind them.

Any help would be appreciated. You can either post the name here or email us at CindeeQ@charter.net

Thanks in advance

The Ellenbarger Crew

If you can get away from town, most people that come to the area make a point of finding the Project A.P.E. cache. There are very few of these caches left and there is a lot of distance between them. It will give you a different kind of cache icon 9.gif for your profile. The preferred approach to this particular A.P.E. cache is via a 2-mile long tunnel which makes it extra cool. I've done it both on foot and on a bike. If your kids aren't afraid of the dark, they'll love it!

If you can get away from town, most people that come to the area make a point of finding the Project A.P.E. cache. There are very few of these caches left and there is a lot of distance between them. It will give you a different kind of cache icon 9.gif for your profile. The preferred approach to this particular A.P.E. cache is via a 2-mile long tunnel which makes it extra cool. I've done it both on foot and on a bike. If your kids aren't afraid of the dark, they'll love it!

That looks SUPER COOL! Thanks for the info.

There are several caches you can get on the way. Park at the state park parking lot (it's free now) and enter the tunnel at Iron Horse (East). Inside the tunnel there are two more caches, Bloody Fingers, Dirty Diapers... and Old Bald Bison (figure out the projection ahead of time on your computer). When you emerge from the tunnel, you can find Iron Horse and then do the A.P.E. cache. For a little more history, continue down the trail to Avalanche Shed. Don't be put off by the terrain rating for that one - it's right next to the trail.

Forgot to mention that it is always very cold in the tunnel even if it's hot outside. Bring some warm clothes.

Edited by Prying Pandora

If you are in the city at all I have a few suggestions. First be prepared for a town laid out before the automobile became popular and whatever street you are on probably doesn't get to where you think it does. Autorouting is a must have, if you are not a resident.

I don't normally do Virtuals, but there are one or two must do ones."

Kerry Viewpoint Park offers the best free view of the city without access to a million dollar condo. Bring your camera and save fifty cents at the post card shop.

Hamilton Viewpoint is a traditional from the other direction.

The most fun caches in the city are the Totally Tubular series, which all rate half a star for difficulty of finding the container, but getting ithem open is another problem entirely :laughing:. They all lack toys, but still might entertain the kids. I highly recommend them:

Totally Tubular

Totally Tubular II

Totally Tubular III

Totally Tubular IV (2)

Totally Tubular VI

Totally Tubular VII

Read the descriptions carefully, and you might want to have a phone to call a local geocaching hotline.

That looks SUPER COOL! Thanks for the info.

I just found the Project Ape cache myself with the family Yesterday. I pulled my two kids in their wagon through the tunnel and it took exactly 50 minutes to get from one end to the other. Bring a sweater for each person as it is very cold on the way to the cache and very dark. On the way back you should be warm enough, that you wouldn't need it. But do it if you have the time. The drive is beautiful, you can brag that you got an Ape cache :grin: , and you can also say the you walked through the nations longest public tunnel. Do it, you'll enjoy it.

Thanks so much for all of the help. These definately sound great and are going right into the GPS.

Maybe we will see you all around.

Hello Crew!

I'm visiting Seattle Aug 17th to Aug 22. I look forward to visiting that APE Cache! I can't wait for this trip.

On an off note, I decided that NJ is no longer for me and looking for change in lifestyle. Seattle looked beautiful so I thought and come visit and check it out! The reason for this trip is to scope out some apartments as I plan on moving there within the 6-8 months. Can any one suggest good places to live that are about 10-20 miles outside of Seattle?

Thanks a ton!

Howard

Thanks so much for all of the help. These definately sound great and are going right into the GPS.

Hello Crew!

I'm visiting Seattle Aug 17th to Aug 22. I look forward to visiting that APE Cache! I can't wait for this trip.

On an off note, I decided that NJ is no longer for me and looking for change in lifestyle. Seattle looked beautiful so I thought and come visit and check it out! The reason for this trip is to scope out some apartments as I plan on moving there within the 6-8 months. Can any one suggest good places to live that are about 10-20 miles outside of Seattle?

Thanks a ton!

Howard

You should try to make it out to the GeoLuau III on Saturday August 19th. It'll be a big event and a good chance to meet a lot of local cachers.

Hello Crew!

Thanks a ton!

Howard

You should try to make it out to the GeoLuau III on Saturday August 19th. It'll be a big event and a good chance to meet a lot of local cachers.

Great! That sounds cool. I'll see about making it to the event! Thanks for letting me know about it.