Ammo Cans In Indiana

dougsmiley

This thread is open to anyplace you can buy ammo cans in indiana. I'm willing to make a little bit of a drive if the price is right. Plus, I can always find the caches in that area :laughing:.

I am looking to buy quite a few cans, say 20 to 30, so price is most important. Post where you get yours and how much you pay for them. This could also be a good resource for new cachers to find out where to buy the elusive ammo can. I know I am having a heck of a time finding any.

Keep an eye out for surplus auctions such as the one at Fort Knox,KY. where I bought a couple of pallets worth. FYI there are 200 ammo boxes on a pallet and can be bought for around $100 or find an army surplus and get them for around $3.50 each.

BTW I'm running low, so I don't have any extras to sell at this time.

That sounds great. If i see any on the online goverment auction site i will post on here - currently the only thing nearby is 45!! pallets of them. I don't and don't plan on owning a semi or a warehouse, so that isn't going to happen!

Edited by dougsmiley

I have bought mine in the past at an Army surplus store in Bedford. Don't remember the name but it is on the corner of Hwy 37 and Hwy 50. They were 3 for $10.00. Jim of PrairiePartners will know the answer.

Deermark

Bedford Army Surplus and you can pick up a cache while you are there GCK2F4 !

Okay, I checked at my local Army Navy store. he's got plenty of diff sized from 30cal cans on up to some pretty big ones. The only prices I remember are for the 30cal $3.00 per can, and .50Cal $5.00 per can. He also said he makes sure to only buy Grade A cans. Apparently Grade A cans are considered "Perfect" condition as in they've been refurbished repainted and had a new seal put in. These cans look brand new so I've been happy with the quality. :lol: Hope this helps! OH... they're at Traildust Army Navy Surplus in Bloomington, if anyone wants directions I'll let you know.

With the ammo cans, the only thing you need to make sure of is that the seal is OK. I bought a bunch of "dirty" ammo cans from a dealer at the Fort Wayne Gun & Knife show. They were dirty because the had surface rust on them. A couple were pretty covered. But the seals were all perfect. So I talked the guy into selling me 10 dirty cans (30 cal.) for $10.

I took them home, took a wire wheel to them and then some green camo spary paint. The look as good as new.

Now the $3 and $5 posted above is a good price! G.I. Joes, the army surplus store in Fort Wayne, sells the new 50 cal cans for like $12. Total rip off.

Do you have a Rural King in your area? There is one in Terre Haute and another one in Paris, IL. You can buy 50 cal ammo cans for $3.99 each. They might have a little surface rust but the seals are good and the insides are clean.

There is also a Rural King in Martinsville IN although I don't recall ever seeing ammo cans there. Might be worth a try though.

-Pmaholm

I have bought mine in the past at an Army surplus store in Bedford. Don't remember the name but it is on the corner of Hwy 37 and Hwy 50. They were 3 for $10.00. Jim of PrairiePartners will know the answer.

Deermark

I also get most of my ammo cans from the surplus store in Bedford. I pay between 3 and 5 each, depending on size and condition. I also "Aquire" some from work-can you believe they use them to haul nails around! It almost makes me sick :) ! I didn't know there was a cache there! I better check that out, huh?

Edited by jadeskyline

Used to have magnetic keyholders 2 for $1 at walmart, but they've stopped carrying them in the local one. They were pretty good ones, actually. Might try automotive/hardware stores.

I might get a few more ammo cans at the fall picnic if the price is right. Still got 13 of them, but no hurt in stacking them up cheaply!

I got some ammo cans today at a place called Bryan's Surplus(I think that is the name) just east of Kokomo on State Road 35. They had two pallets of the smaller ammo cans out front. One pallet was $3 a piece or 2 for $5. The other pallet was $2 a piece of 3 for $5. One pallet had cans with a little bit more rust on them. I bought 12 cans for $20(Works out to $1.66 each). The rust is not anything that can't be removed with a little wire brush work. The seals seemed to be good on all cans and they latched nicely. Tought I would pass along the info.

Chris-Team Shydog

Visited Brian's today and bought 40 slightly rusty cans. They are new or good as new cans, they've just been left outside too long. ZERO rust on the inside and seals are in perfect shape. Much better than going to indy and paying $5 for "shiny" ones. I'll be back to Brian's if I run out!

I'll be selling them for $3 each.. I'll have some at Fort Harrison on Saturday and at other future events. I also plan on using quite a few of them at a local county park that has an uncached 6.45 mile loop trail.