Erratic Gps Readings

Doc16743

Just finished our third cache, and it was extremely difficult. The location was in a slightly wooded area, and the actual placement was about 100 feet from the roadway. At the edge of the road, the GPSr (I'm using an eTrex) gave me a very precise distance and direction. I went the apporximate distance, and the GPSr showed a totally different direction and distance. I must have wandered over a couple of acres! Every time I got within 6 feet of the cache (according to the GPSr) it would point in a new direction! We finally found the cache, but it was more luck than skill!

Is the wacky GPSr output due to the overhanging trees? It was not dense woods at all, but there were some overhanging branches. Haven't seen the GPSr go nuts like that before, so foliage is my only guess!

Thanks in advance!

Foliage and steep embankments and even certain locations can make the GPSr behave oddly.

When you were in the clearing, it would have been good to estimate the distance and the arrow location and head for that.

If there was another clearing in a different direction, you could have done the same thing to get an approximate circle in which to center your search.

Also, the eTrex units should be held horizontally to get the best reception. :laughing:

I myself use a extrex legend and had the same prob when I first used it.

I quickly learned as your geting within 30-20 feet of the waypoint (cache) I lay it on the ground and go from there .

Example: My waypoint is 30 feet from me holding the gps. I lay it face up and notice what my accuracy is. lets say its 20 feet.I walk in the direction I was heading for and knowing the accuracy is 20 feet I know the cache is anywhere between 10 feet ( 30-20=10) and 50 feet (30+20=50). If I dont find the cache I walk back to my gps which is still on ground face up and see if the reading accuracy has changed.

I have found this way very useful to me.

Also to get some practice with it.....place something in your yard and mark it as a waypoint.Walk away about 100 yards or more, and then try to locate it using your gps and you will see how close you can get to it without the gps going haywire.

I believe every little gizmo we have has its own personality and it is up to us to figure them out.

Hope this helps. :laughing:

You need to be moving at a brisk pace for the GPS to know your direction of travel. As you get to the cache area and slow down it really doesn't have an idea which direction you are traveling, so the needle will point all over the place.

If this happens move away about 100 feet and approach the area again at a good pace, or buy a GPS with a magnetic compass (I think the first option is much cheaper).

You need to be moving at a brisk pace for the GPS to know your direction of travel. <SNIP>

I had kind of discovered this myself, but in my "noobness" I wasn't sure if maybe that was contributing to the problem lol! Can be real frustrating when the waypoint keeps moving!

Thanks, all, for helping me get a handle on this!

We have an Etrex Legend as well and experience the same things. It's weird. We are new to this so glad for your imput! :drama:

I myself use a extrex legend and had the same prob when I first used it.

I quickly learned as your geting within 30-20 feet of the waypoint (cache) I lay it on the ground and go from there .

Example: My waypoint is 30 feet from me holding the gps. I lay it face up and notice what my accuracy is. lets say its 20 feet.I walk in the direction I was heading for and knowing the accuracy is 20 feet I know the cache is anywhere between 10 feet ( 30-20=10) and 50 feet (30+20=50). If I dont find the cache I walk back to my gps which is still on ground face up and see if the reading accuracy has changed.

I have found this way very useful to me.

Also to get some practice with it.....place something in your yard and mark it as a waypoint.Walk away about 100 yards or more, and then try to locate it using your gps and you will see how close you can get to it without the gps going haywire.

I believe every little gizmo we have has its own personality and it is up to us to figure them out.

Hope this helps. :lol: