Recurring "non-recurring" Premium Membership

arpegio

I wanted to sign up for an annual non-recurring premium membership, but both links on the web site purchase the same auto-recurring membership. Can someone fix this?

Am I missing something here? Is that part of the plan? There is no non-recurring subscription?

Not a getting started issue. Moving to the appropriate forum.

Sorry about that. I'm new and want to sign up for premium, and I'm willing to do the annual thing, but I'd like to take advantage of the non-recurring offer, but both buttons perform the same transaction according to the paypal site.

Not a getting started issue. Moving to the appropriate forum.

Sorry about that. I'm new and want to sign up for premium, and I'm willing to do the annual thing, but I'd like to take advantage of the non-recurring offer, but both buttons perform the same transaction according to the paypal site.

Go ahead and sign up for a year via Paypal. Once you have signed up you can go back into your Paypal account, look under "history", find the subscription and cancel the automatic renewal.. All of this is explained in the course of signing up for your premium membership and is really straight forward.

Use the non-renewing option No matter what is says it will be for one year only. I will have the wording looked at on Wed.

If you want to tell if you are renewing or not you can do this:

Here are the steps to find out if your account is renewing or non renewing:

1. Login to your paypal account at www.paypal.com

2. Click on the History subtab

3. Click on Details of the subscription in question

4. Click on the number next to "In reference to:" above the Related

Transaction section.

5. Look at Subscription Terms:

Renewing: 30.00 U.S. Dollars for each year

Nonrenewing: 30.00 U.S. Dollars for one year

If your account is not setup to renew automatically and you would like to continue as a Premium Member you can create a new subscription using the links on this page:

www.geocaching.com/subscribe

Thanks for the support of the site!

The wording is correct, though slight. "Each" year means a renewing membership while "One" year means a membership for just that year. The text for the membership just says "Groundspeak Premium Member" which I agree is somewhat vague, considering the wording that PayPal provides for us. I'll see if I can come up with some improved wording but this should help you for now. Thanks!

When you click on the non-recurring link, here's what it says:

Note: Your subscription will automatically renew at the rates stated above unless you cancel prior to the end of the billing period.

This is for the "annual membership (does not renew)"

Now what am I missing? What part of renew/does-not-renew am I not understanding?

$30 is no big deal. Misleading business transactions are. This appears fraudulent to me.

If you advertise a non-recurring option, why does Paypal say it is recurring? Me going in and modifying my personal account to cancel the recurring option is irrelevent. That has nothing to do with the fact that what appears to be offered on the site is not what it seems. It's not ethical as far as I can see and I have an issue with that.

I am familiar with Paypal and e-commerce. The same code for the buttons for both options are listed, so both transactions appear to be the same. Either this is a mistake, or it's intentional and is fraudulent. Right now, the web page is misleading and fraudulent. I can give you all the proper code for the page if you want. I can even create a page on my server that will initiate a non-recurring option for people, if your web guy won't fix it. Just let me know, but the way it is right now, exposes your organization to some liability and ethical issues.

Edited by arpegio

:unsure: If one says "Annual Premium Membership (Does not renew)", and it doesn't renew what is the problem??? Is it the 'Annual' word? :unsure:

Is the complaint it would be better if they said:

"12 Month Premium Membership (Does not renew)" instead of "Annual Premium Membership

(Does not renew)" or what? :rolleyes:

The same code for the buttons for both options are listed, so both transactions appear to be the same.

Not quite. One includes

<input type="hidden" value="GSPNORENEW" name="item_number">

and the other includes

<input type="hidden" value="GSPRENEW" name="item_number">

<input type="hidden" value="1" name="src">

According to PayPal's Subscriptions and Recurring Payments Guide, the "src" variable tells PayPal that the subscription is recurring. This variable is not present in the code for the first button.

I'll bet that the sentence in question is added by PayPal for ALL subscriptions and Groundspeak has no control over it.

:laughing: If one says "Annual Premium Membership (Does not renew)", and it doesn't renew what is the problem???

There would be no problem IF it actually did not renew, BUT IT DOES.

Again, what are you not understanding here? They are handing off the transaction to paypal and telling paypal to auto-renew it annually, even though on their web page, it says it is not an auto-renewing subscription.

Edited by arpegio
They are handing off the transaction to paypal and telling paypal to auto-renew it annually, even though on their web page, it says it is not an auto-renewing subscription.

No, they are passing the correct info to PayPal, which I noted above, at exactly the same time you posted your latest rant, so you might have missed it. Scroll up and read it over, then feel free to post an apology for your error :laughing:

:laughing: If one says "Annual Premium Membership (Does not renew)", and it doesn't renew what is the problem???

There would be no problem IF it actually did not renew, BUT IT DOES.

Again, what are you not understanding here? They are handing off the transaction to paypal and telling paypal to auto-renew it annually, even though on their web page, it says it is not an auto-renewing subscription.

Do you believe everything you read? If so, then I can understand thinking that just because it says on the geocaching.com web site, that the subscription does not renew, then you might actually believe it, but when you're handed over to Paypal.com, they say it does renew. And paypal.com is handling the transaction, not geocaching.com, so what Paypal says is what's happening.

When will this be fixed? Either fix the link, or take down the button that says annual membership (does not renew) because that's misleading and inaccurate according to Paypal. In fact, something like that is probably against Paypal's terms of service. Geocaching needs to fix this or run the risk of having their Paypal account shut off.

I am not understanding why you keep complaining the link is wrong and mislabeled. It tells you what it does (yes perhaps it could be more clear), and it does what it says (AFAIK). Has the transaction not worked correctly for you? Has non-renewing renewed you, or anyone you know?

No I don't believe everything I read, I actually don't believe you when you say the non-renewing link renews. I've used it um... 3? times now, and for me it has never renewed itself. So unless someones been monkeying with it, I'm inclined to think it still doesn't renew. I don't understand all the techinal mumbo jumbo about why it would or wouldn't, but unless you or someone else has had the non-renewing link renew you I'm not going to believe it does.

Ok, I see what you are saying... one says one year, one says "each" year...

However, Paypal also says: "Note: Your subscription will automatically renew at the rates stated above unless you cancel prior to the end of the billing period."

There is obviously some kind of contradiction there.

I went into Paypal's form builder myself and set up sample forms and tested the whole process... it does appear even when you specify a non-recurring subscription that you still get that same message, so this appears to be a problem with Paypal and not Geocaching.com --- my apologies... I guess Paypal is the one who is engaging in a misleading transaction... even when it isn't auto-renew, it says so on their page... that's pretty annoying.

Edited by arpegio