How Long Do Queries Take?

cynwood

I submitted a query the other day and received it in my email almost immediately. Yesterday I submitted another query and it was generated, but still have not received it. How long can it take before you receive zip file? I resubmitted it again this morning and still not showing up.

I built 4 PQs on Monday to be run today. as of 9:30 EDT I have not received them even though it shows they generated. All my email settings are correct. I know they go to a seperate email server, so I suspect the problem is there.

Ernie

Check all the settings pehaps your email is not correct.

Already checked that and junk mail folder too. I guess that I can at least take consolation in knowing that I am not the only one. Sent a note to Groundspeak support yesterday about the problem and have not heard back on it either.

I submitted a query the other day and received it in my email almost immediately. Yesterday I submitted another query and it was generated, but still have not received it. How long can it take before you receive zip file? I resubmitted it again this morning and still not showing up.
I have found that if you leave your PQs unchecked and then check them right when you want them, they get sent to you in a few minutes! :laughing:

You have to remember that a query that has never run will run almost instantly.

Recent queries tend to take longer because of this:

How Pocket Queries Work

Due to the complexity of Pocket Queries, a dedicated machine processes them in batches throughout the day.

The order they run is based on the last time the query ran last. Priority goes to new queries first, and the others run in the order of the oldest generated. So if you have a query run once a week it will arrive on that day much faster than someone who runs the query every day. It is recommended that you stagger your queries. Or even better, create new queries only when you need them.

If you don't need the files for your GPS or PocketPC, you can also run your Pocket Queries on the search page. This is also a great way to ensure that your Pocket Queries are returning the results you want.

Please remember that TPTB deem questions like these as impatient.

TPTB have already blessed the work around for their ill conceived PQ prioritzation scheme and they see nothing wrong with it. Their game, their rules accept it and do not question it.

The work around for those us that are too impatient to wait is to create a new copy of the query we are trying to get run. Schedule it for today in a few minutes you should get the PQ in your email. Don't forget to delete the copy PQ so it doesn't take away from the 40 total PQ's you can create but not run on any sort of reliable reocurring schedule.

As time goes on this work-around will cease to function as well. There will be far too many PQ's for the PQ machine to handle.

Edit: for clarity

Edited by Team yGEOh
You have to remember that a query that has never run will run almost instantly.

My new PQs ran 12 hours ago but seem to be bogged down in the email system. They still have not arrived. The one PQ that repeats each Sunday did arrive.

Ernie

I have posted about this several times in the Web Site Forum. I don't have any PQs scheduled. I do, howver, have many PQs in my list.

If I am going to head one direction or another, I run a PQ or two that are in that direction. I know my circles overlap a lot, and since I don't need all the logs for every cache in this cach-rich area, this works for me.

A very rough approximation of the 500-cache circles I have might look like this.

fc75b3e0-5c6f-4132-8164-b4074fb881e2.jpg

Because any individual PQ only gets used once a week, or once every few weeks, they tend to run right away . . . unless the PQ server hampsters have gone on strike and need a little kick to get going again. :laughing: (That might be what the problem is now . . . :laughing: )

I realize this "system" might not work for everybody, but until the problem with scheduled PQs gets solved, it might be a work-around.

Edit to add I ran a PQ just as an "experiment." It had not run since 06/17/06. It started to run within 10 minutes. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Miragee