Superb Steak 'stablishments Failed

Ok...so what do I need to change, improve, leave out, etc.

The category was a first draft, so let's move on from here, using the first shot as a starting point. I assume that everyone in the group wants to eventually put a category forward for superb steak 'stablishments...or else why join the group?

So, please send me an email, and I'll fix it.

Thanks,

Jamie - NFA

If you were just wanting feedback from your groups officers, e-mail would have been the better route.

If you want feedback from the community in general, how about a link to the proposed category, or at least copy/paste the text here so we have something to go on.

I assume that everyone in the group wants to eventually put a category forward for superb steak 'stablishments...or else why join the group?

Why would anyone put a "Category" forward??? Do you mean a "Waymark" ??? :laughing:

IV_Warrior Posted Today, 02:53 AM

If you were just wanting feedback from your groups officers, e-mail would have been the better route.

If you want feedback from the community in general, how about a link to the proposed category, or at least copy/paste the text here so we have something to go on.

....as he is saying --->did you get all the information out first?

ok...

I did email the group members, before and after the vote...nobody responded...perhaps therein lies the problem...

Jake39: a category has to be written and approved before you can place waymarks...that is what the group officers are supposed to be working on...again, perhaps a part of the problem...

the category proposed is here, although I'm not sure if you can see it if you're not a member.

so now, having answered the previous reponses...any feedback...

Jamie - NFA

ok...

I did email the group members, before and after the vote...nobody responded...perhaps therein lies the problem...

There has been some suggestion that the email feature within the groups, particular the email all officers may not be working as intended.

Regards

Andrew

ok...

Jake39: a category has to be written and approved before you can place waymarks...that is what the group officers are supposed to be working on...again, perhaps a part of the problem...

the category proposed is here, although I'm not sure if you can see it if you're not a member.

so now, having answered the previous reponses...any feedback...

Jamie - NFA

Nope, clicking the link takes me to the "my groups" page, guess you have to be a group member to see the proposed category.

No responses to the e-mails could be part of the problem. As someone else mentioned, the problem may be with the Waymarking.com e-mail system. I've been wondering about it myself, as I've seen several mentions here in the forums of people not recieving e-mails sent to them. I've had times I never recieved a response from someone who normally promptly replies.

I sent this out to all of the officers, but just in case it doesn't make it to you all...

Hi,

I have revised the cqategory as per MooseMob's excellent suggestion, so that now there is no discrimination or snobbery involved in the category at all...all steakhouses where people enjoy great steaks are encouraged!

please email me to signify that you received this email, and to signal any other changes you would suggest to the category before resubmitting to the officers.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jamie - NFA

As a rule I don't care much for categories that contain subjective requirements. What's going on here is that you want steakhouses that are "good". (superb, actually). Waymarking still has a binary holdover from GeoCaching in that something either is or isn't. In caching, you either find it or you don't. (ideally). In Waymarking it's nice to be able to look at something and say that it qualifies. A historical marker is, inarguably, a historic marker. A payphone, lame as it might be, is a payphone. A steakhouse is a steakhouse. A "superb" steakhouse is... open to interpretation.

I also don't think the community as a whole is all that crazy about more "restaurant" categories.

If you think it is a superb steakhouse, waymark it...if you don't like restaurant categories...skip it...

jamie

Or reject it. Why should the Waymarking community accept blank categories?

Edited by BruceS

I think that the goal of "supurb" steak houses is great but (like others) don't quite see how to distinguish from "average" steakhouses.

My first thought was using the big restaurant guides (Fodor's, Michelin, etc) to provide a more objective discrimination. Unfortunately, they exclude many good places (simply because they aren't reviewed) and people who are looking for their recommendations can purchase the guide to get it.

Then I though about making a distinction for "chain" type places vs. smaller places to distinguish between Outback and a local good place.... but there are good chains that should probably be included.

Here's my best idea so far.... Waymarking offers a "rate this waymark" category. How about setting up a "steakhouses" category for all steakhouses and asking each visitor to rate their overall experience. Eventually the best (for the area) will pop to the top of the ratings... not perfect but might be a way to accomplish what you are trying to accomplish. (I don't know if there is a way to have multiple ratings to distinguish between food/atmosphere/value though.)

If you add variables for chain name, then eventually you may be able to sort out the chains you like or don't like from the listing. (I'm assuming that there will be a "sort on variable" option at some point....)

I'm assuming the eventual goal is to be able to answer "what's a good steakhouse within 10 miles of my hotel" or something like that.

~J of TeamRJMK~

If you think it is a superb steakhouse, waymark it...if you don't like restaurant categories...skip it...

jamie

Or reject it. Why should the Waymarking community accept blank categories?

I don't understand your 2 responses...this is not a blank category...it is fully filled out with variable and descriptions and such...it is just not available to everyone as yet...just the officers as it has not yet gone to peer review...am I missing something...are you?

Jamie - NFA

I think that the goal of "supurb" steak houses is great but (like others) don't quite see how to distinguish from "average" steakhouses.

My first thought was using the big restaurant guides (Fodor's, Michelin, etc) to provide a more objective discrimination. Unfortunately, they exclude many good places (simply because they aren't reviewed) and people who are looking for their recommendations can purchase the guide to get it.

Then I though about making a distinction for "chain" type places vs. smaller places to distinguish between Outback and a local good place.... but there are good chains that should probably be included.

Here's my best idea so far.... Waymarking offers a "rate this waymark" category. How about setting up a "steakhouses" category for all steakhouses and asking each visitor to rate their overall experience. Eventually the best (for the area) will pop to the top of the ratings... not perfect but might be a way to accomplish what you are trying to accomplish. (I don't know if there is a way to have multiple ratings to distinguish between food/atmosphere/value though.)

If you add variables for chain name, then eventually you may be able to sort out the chains you like or don't like from the listing. (I'm assuming that there will be a "sort on variable" option at some point....)

I'm assuming the eventual goal is to be able to answer "what's a good steakhouse within 10 miles of my hotel" or something like that.

~J of TeamRJMK~

I like the idea of asking people to rate their experience at each waymarked steakhouse to sort out the wheat from the chaff...as it were...I'll include that in the write-up...thanks

Jamie - NFA

I don't understand your 2 responses...this is not a blank category...it is fully filled out with variable and descriptions and such...it is just not available to everyone as yet...just the officers as it has not yet gone to peer review...am I missing something...are you?

Jamie - NFA

Jamie, the link doesn't work. So if you go the Directory, Business/Commerce, Restaraunts, Help us Review New Categories, Steakhouses then this is what you see:

Steakhouses

Quick Description:

Steakhouses!! Good ole-fashioned steaks!!

Detailed Description:

No description listed.

Instructions for placing waymarks into this category:

No instructions provided.

Instructions for logging waymarks of this category:

No log instructions provided.

Category Settings:

* Waymarks can be added to this category

* New waymarks of this category are reviewed by the category group prior to approval

* Category is not visible in the directory

Steakhouse Variables:

None

Jamie - NFA

Jamie, I believe it was out in peer review on July 4th. It now sounds like it was either by mistake or by a bug. Only thing that was there was the title of the category. That is why my response.

Edited by BruceS

aha...how weird...I sent it out for officer review, but it is broken out as follows below...sorry for my misunderstanding...

Superb Steak 'stablishments

Present Directory Location:

Business/Commerce > Restaurants > Superb Steak 'stablishments

Quick Description:

This waymark category will help people find and enjoy truly superb steakhouses.

Detailed Description:

A truly superb steakhouse is one that serves you one of the best meals that you have ever had. The steak (and accompanying sides and such) will be burned into your memory for months or years to come. Flavor and texture of the meat are beyond compare, and everyone at your table feels the same way.

Please mark the waypoint at the front/main entrance to the steakhouse, and go into as much detail as you can about the meal you enjoyed at the establishment.

Please rate your steak and overall experience when you log your visit to the waymark (using the 1-5 star "Rate this waymark" option). This should eventually help to help the best steakhouses rise to the top of this category.

Instructions for placing waymarks into this category:

New waymarks in this category should include the following: GPS coordinates for the front/main entrance, a photo of the steakhouse, the address and phone number and a general price range of the available entrees.

Instructions for logging visits to waymarks in this category:

New logs for waymarks in this category should include the following: a photo of the steakhouse and your GPS receiver (or alternately, a photo of the steakhouse and a steak bone or roll from your dinner), and your review/recommendation for the establishment.

Please rate your steak and overall experience when you log your visit to the waymark (using the 1-5 star "Rate this waymark" option). This should eventually help to help the best steakhouses rise to the top of this category.

Inherited Variables (not editable) (not editable)

none yet

Your Variables

Steakhouse Address: Multi-line Textbox

Steakhouse Phone Number: Short Textbox

General Price Range: Textbox Accepting Currency

Review/Recommendation: Multi-line Textbox

That is essentially what I will be submitting for officer review on the 10th...with the advance notice given in the hopes that everyone will comment and vote beforehand...

Thanks for everyone's input!!!

Jamie - NFA

Edited by NFA

So what was *I* looking at? The one the just said "Steakhouses" without the "Superb" part??? <_<

a cheap knock-off???

Perhaps someone read about my proposed group and/or category, and wanted to get in before my proposal hit the Waymarking community...to be fair, I've been busy, and so it's been awfully slow...

Jamie

I would suggest voting no on the steakhouse category currently in the peer-review line-up, as it is seriously lacking in details and isn't really much of a category proposal.

It's obviously a copy-cat who didn't bother to put any effort or thought into the category, just wanted to be first...

Wait until mine comes out...

Superb Steak 'stablishments

Jamie - NFA

Edited by NFA

Thanks for the clarification. I, too, thought that this thread was related to the Steakhouses up for peer review. I thought it was a great category idea, but was disappointed to see an empty category and voted no. I look forward to the Superb Steak 'stablishments category yet to come. If it appears with great descriptions and variables as shown above, I will definitely vote yes.

Thanks for the clarification. I, too, thought that this thread was related to the Steakhouses up for peer review. I thought it was a great category idea, but was disappointed to see an empty category and voted no. I look forward to the Superb Steak 'stablishments category yet to come. If it appears with great descriptions and variables as shown above, I will definitely vote yes.

Agree with you TubaTwo. The description shown in this thread has details, the steakhouse one had nothing at all so I also voted against it. Would be too bad if that affected NFA's category proposal from getting a proper review. Looks like the site needs to have some mechanism for preventing what are essentially completely blank proposals from going to review.

JD

Looks like the site needs to have some mechanism for preventing what are essentially completely blank proposals from going to review.

JD

That's not really necessary, since a category proposal of that calibre would never go beyond Groundspeak's final approval. Submitting such a sparse category would just be a waste of that Group's time.

There is another 'steaks" category up for review again and it is not our "Superb Steaks"Category which we as officers will be voting on tonight. Someone elses 'Steak' Category was the one up for peer review on the 4th that was blank and again now with a description, but it does not even measure up to ours. We have not even submitted ours for peer review yet. Looks like some other group is attempting to get theres through first. As per our communication amongst the officers for Superb Steaks Category we will be voting tonight as a group and then submitting Superb Steaks for review. So please if you like what NFA said here please vote nay for the other steaks and wait for Superb Steaks.

Edited by chstress53

What strikes me as odd about all this is that there could be two (or more) completely separate groups jockeying for position of the steak house category. And why haven't we seen anything in the forums from the group or groups that have now managed to get two attempts at the category into peer review?

Is there some sinister "steak house management" feud going on behind the scenes? Some nefarious beef between rival gangs? Is there a chance of finding common ground? Will the groups meat somewhere in the middle before this place becomes a slaughterhouse?

Ok, I'm done now.

I think the "Chickens" are behind this alternative Steak group :unsure:

But seriously... I'm surprised it took this long for the occurance of duplicate Categories. Whether it is accidental, intentional, or simulataneous planning.

And with the HUNDREDS of ideas in the older sections of "Proposed Categories" that never got created, it won't be long till people start data-mining those ideas since the original poster never followed through.

For whatever it's worth... I like STEAK.

:D The Blue Quasar

I sent the category back to officer review, and hope that all of the officers vote this time...

I noticed that there is another copy-cat category up for peer review...too bad those people didn't feel like joining the original group and working together to make a category, but what can you do?

If you're an officer in this group, please vote yes on the category, if you're not, just wait a couple of days and hopefully the category will be out there for peer review.

Thanks,

Jamie - NFA