Leaving Out Hawaii And Alaska For Jeep Tb Distribution?

Team JSAM

I was reading the post for the new 2006 Jeep TB's and read that Alaska and Hawaii are out, whats up with that there are cachers and geocaches in Alaska and Hawaii, why leave them out I personally think that a pile of BS. Anyway I have one White Jeep TB and would love to mail it to a Hawaiian or Alaskan geocacher to hold for a bit, show to some friends and then put in a cache for the state to enjoy, I only have one so who ever is the first to email me gets the TB.... :laughing:

Jake :laughing:

Team Jsam

Edited by Team Jsam

It's probably because shipping a prize jeep to Alaska or Hawaii, or outside the US, is cost prohibitive for such a contest, or that there are laws in Alaska or Hawaii regarding contests. I'm not sure. But I'm positive that it is not because they don't want the Jeep TBs to travel to Alaska or Hawaii.

They leave a lot of places out of the contest -- even places where they sell real Jeeps!

The nice thing about this crazy hobby is that eventually the Jeeps make their way all over the world! (slowly in some cases, but I think that they eventually do)

It's sort of like the contest where they gave each and every Canadian $100,000 as a bonus -- we're not supposed to tell the rest of the world because they're afraid everyone will want a pony.

It's probably because shipping a prize jeep to Alaska or Hawaii, or outside the US, is cost prohibitive for such a contest, or that there are laws in Alaska or Hawaii regarding contests. I'm not sure. But I'm positive that it is not because they don't want the Jeep TBs to travel to Alaska or Hawaii.

Sorry that does not make sense. There are Jeep dealerships here in Hawaii and I'm sure there are dealerships in Alaska. When someone wins a Jeep or other vehicle the winner goes to the local dealer and picks up the prize. Then the organization that is funding the prize ships the money to the dealer. Normally in the form of a check or bank transaction. Such transactions do not cost more based on distance.

Even if the prize is a one off, special design, they could just include it with the normal shipments to the local dealer. When you are shipping several thousand vehicles what’s one more?

I do not know of any laws against contest of this type here in Hawaii.

The only conclusion is Jeep is saying screw Hawaii and Alaska. Good reason to go buy a Chevy. :laughing:

Edited by 68-eldo

As Eartha pointed out, there could be any number of reasons Alaska and Hawaii got left out of the GJTB contest. However, Alaska has been excluded from past Jeep contests as well, but that hasn't kept JTBs from making it up here. We logged eleven YJTBs and six WJTBs from the 2004 and 2005 contests, so we still got to play at that level. Northwes logged fourteen YJTBs and nine WJTBs. The nice thing about how most people play up here is that the Jeeps circulate a bit before disappearing. We log jeeps, post cool photos of them on glaciers and pulling dog sleds or doing other neat things, and move 'em on.

We're personally not getting wrapped around the axel over this. Living up here has its price, and this is just one of them. One thing that does chap us is being able to get only UPS and FedEx red label service, which means we pay a minimum of $14-$20 for shipping unless we can talk the shipper into going with the good old USPS Priority Mail. Okay, that's a bit off topic, but just wanted to share there are worse things in this world.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Actually, that raises an interesting point.

How many people care about the contest?

How many people just care about logging a cool Travel Bug?

Personally, there is no chance they are ever going to include my area in the contest, eh. So I just want to see and log the neat little toy. Why? That's between me and my therapist.

They leave a lot of places out of the contest -- even places where they sell real Jeeps!

The nice thing about this crazy hobby is that eventually the Jeeps make their way all over the world! (slowly in some cases, but I think that they eventually do)

It's sort of like the contest where they gave each and every Canadian $100,000 as a bonus -- we're not supposed to tell the rest of the world because they're afraid everyone will want a pony.

Nope. Wrong again.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Nope. Wrong again.

Oh no ..... not AGAIN!

Fine.....I'll have to kill the pony that I sent you and then you'll be stuck beating a dead horse.

Nope. Wrong again.

Oh no ..... not AGAIN!

Fine.....I'll have to kill the pony that I sent you and then you'll be stuck beating a dead horse.

I want to qualify my statement. I didn't mean to say you are wrong, just incorrect.

Do you think they are "leaving out" or "unable to include"?

Do you think this is a contest for fun or money?

Ah! Silly me. Allow me to qualify. I don't really care about the contest aspect of the whole thing. I care about the fun of a communal Travel Bug item that cachers the world over can enjoy moving from cache to cache.

As for exclusion of Alaska and Hawaii and the reasons for that exclusion -- the best recorse might be to contact Jeep customer service rather than make assumptions as to why they excluded these states.

Personally, I know they excluded the area where I live because they are afraid of us... :laughing:

Inline answers just to be perfectly clear:

I want to qualify my statement. I didn't mean to say you are wrong, just incorrect.

Do you think they are "leaving out" or "unable to include"? LFD: Don't know

Do you think this is a contest for fun or money? LFD: Fun. Odds of winning are pretty low -- so fun.

Ah! Silly me. Allow me to qualify. I don't really care about the contest aspect of the whole thing. I care about the fun of a communal Travel Bug item that cachers the world over can enjoy moving from cache to cache.

As for exclusion of Alaska and Hawaii and the reasons for that exclusion -- the best recorse might be to contact Jeep customer service rather than make assumptions as to why they excluded these states.

Personally, I know they excluded the area where I live because they are afraid of us... :laughing:

Yes, we agree. On ALL points. :laughing:

:laughing: