Category Proposal, Historic Or Pre-1950 Courthouses

The pre-1950 architecture style of courthouse is primarily what I am after. A classic example is the Tarrant County Courthouse in Fort Worth, Texas (featured in the Walker, Texas Ranger T.V. series). Built between 1893 and 1895 out of red granite, it cost more than $408K to build and was such an extravagance, the entire commissioner's court was replaced in 1894, as a result. This particular courthouse is modeled after the State Capitol in Austin.

The marker at this location, while placed by the Texas Historic Commision, is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, so it doesn't fit in the Texas Historic Markers category. We can use the same basic guidelines as the Historic Marker categories IF A MARKER IS AT THE LOCATION.

1. Picture of Full Courthouse Required

2. Picture of Historic Marker if one at location.

3. If Marker present - Registery in which marker is listed and marker number.

4. Waymark taken at right hand side (as you are facing courthouse) of bottom front step. For Consistency.

5. Pictures of other cool stuff around courthouse if there is anything. Like the Horse Fountain or the other monuments at TCCH.

I am posting a waymark of this site so you can see the example and gallery I am hoping to create. I love these old courthouses and cities all over the country have them. Just watch any movie set in Anywhere, USA.

The pre-1950 architecture style of courthouse is primarily what I am after.

I am posting a waymark of this site so you can see the example and gallery I am hoping to create. I love these old courthouses and cities all over the country have them. Just watch any movie set in Anywhere, USA.

Someone suggested a court house category way back when . . . .

Several considerations:

1. -- This category is NOT global or international as described. It should include court house anywhere in the world. This is not quite as easy, as terminology may differ, but the concept could be defined clearly enough so that waymarkers could determine what fits the category in their country.

2. -- Why limit it to pre-1950? Many newer court houses are of interest. Historicity could be a variable. Also, it is often difficult to determine the date of buildings, unless there is a dated cornerstone or plaque, which is lacking as often as not, even for historic buildings.

3. -- Even just considering the U.S. -- is it just county court houses? What about district court houses, state/provincial court houses, federal courthouses, etc.?

4. -- Just from experience, if you require too much for each waymark -- too many photos or variables that are difficult to establish, many people will just not bother. You may be trading quality for quantity, but it may kill the category. I guess it goes to a more fundamental question about the nature of Waymarking. Is it to create a directory, an encyclopedia, or physically locate with coordinates places and things?

I'm anxious to see a category for court houses!!! These are just some things to think through.

Several considerations:

1. -- This category is NOT global or international as described. It should include court house anywhere in the world. This is not quite as easy, as terminology may differ, but the concept could be defined clearly enough so that waymarkers could determine what fits the category in their country.

I did not see anything in his description which limited the international nature except the examples given.

2. -- Why limit it to pre-1950? Many newer court houses are of interest. Historicity could be a variable. Also, it is often difficult to determine the date of buildings, unless there is a dated cornerstone or plaque, which is lacking as often as not, even for historic buildings.

His interest is in the older style architectural designs rather than just function. I prefer categories with qualifiers rather than generic "of interest." I actually thought the 1950 date might be too new. In my experience most older court houses will have cornerstones or plaques. If not most will have the date listed on some authorative website. I don't think there has been a significant problem with this in the "This Old Church" category.

3. -- Even just considering the U.S. -- is it just county court houses? What about district court houses, state/provincial court houses, federal courthouses, etc.?

Again I did not see anything in his description which limited the courthouses to county courthouse except his example was a county courthouse. If the intent is only county court houses this will cause problems even within the U.S. I know of historic court houses which have served different levels of government during their histories. Also with independent cities, their city courts would be serving same level as county courts.

4. -- Just from experience, if you require too much for each waymark -- too many photos or variables that are difficult to establish, many people will just not bother. You may be trading quality for quantity, but it may kill the category. I guess it goes to a more fundamental question about the nature of Waymarking. Is it to create a directory, an encyclopedia, or physically locate with coordinates places and things?

I agree, making too many requirements will make placing waymarks difficult. Having many variables is ok as long as the non-pertinent are made optional. I would remove the historical marker "stuff". Most states are not like Texas :laughing: , most court houses elsewhere don't have historical markers. I would require a photo of the building, though getting the whole building can be a problem at times. Some times these buildings are large and you can't get far enough away to get the whole building. I would require a picture of the cornerstone or plaque if that is the method of determining age. Look at the

This Old Church category on how they do age determination, it seems to work.

I look forward to this category.

The pre-1950 architecture style of courthouse is primarily what I am after.

Someone mentioned that 1950 might be too modern a cut-off date. My husband suggested Pre-WWII because a lot of wonderful buildings in the US were built during the few years prior to WWII.

My example was actually built in 1895 (and has been in continual use as a courthouse since then). I am not looking for striking examples of modern architecture. And there have been some amazing historical events that have happened SINCE WWII at court houses around the US. But, that's not what this particular category is intended to honor.

I wasn't restricting this to just county courthouses, parrish, city, state, and federal courthouses are just as welcome. As someone pointed out earlier my example happens to be of a county courthouse. (If you read the waymark I already posted, you'll know why).

As for the international qualification. As long as the structure was originally built for use as a court of law, I see no reason to restrict the category to the USA.

People drive by them every day and don't see them because they have always been there. The don't know about the commissioners' court that got booted for spending too much money, (I don't EVEN want to know how much the recent court spent to paint the old jail with 3D effects, or how much it costs to maintain the paint job.). They don't know about the gargoyle on the horse fountain, or the poetry.

If Waymarking is about showing off our beautiful or interesting places and giving others a reason to stop and look at something they might have otherwise passed by, this category still gets my vote.

Revised Suggested Requirements

Pre-WWII Courthouses

Buildings originally constructed as Courts of Law. May be located anywhere.

Required:

1. Picture of Full Courthouse (or as much as you can get in picture)

2. Waymark taken at right hand side (as you are facing courthouse) of bottom front step. For Consistency.

Optional

3. Picture of Historic Marker if one at location. (I hadn't realized this could be misunderstood as required.)

4. If Marker present - Registery in which marker is listed and marker number. - (Ditto)

5. Pictures of other cool stuff around courthouse if there is anything. Like the Horse Fountain or the other monuments at TCCH.

Edited by Troop_Cat

BruceS gives a good discussion of issues raised by sowerman, which is what I think he intended. If these are addressed, then we have the makings of a good category.

My only very serious reservation is the limiting of these to pre-1950 or pre-WWII, or some other arbitrary date is that we cut off a good portion of what could be included and be of interest to many. Why couldn't you open up the category to all courthouses, and make "historic," by whatever definition you choose available as a variable? In my view, this would be much better. If someonone IS interested in more modern court houses, then the only alternative is to create a category to include what is excluded by someone else's category. Cumbersome, to say the least.

Making the distinction between an era of architecture in public buildings and buildings of historic interest is a fine one. But this particular category was meant to honor primarily the visual. There are many beautiful courthouses the world over that have no particular significance historically other than they have been around roughly "forever".

Are they amazing pieces of architecture? Probably. Did anyone get assassinated in them? Lynched on their grounds? Married in them? Buried near them? That IS NOT what this category proposal is about.

As there has been little discussion, I have resigned myself to accept my proposal will not make it. I still think we are missing out on a good thing.

"This Old Courthouse" could be as nice a category as "This Old Church"; think of all the courthouses in the world that are not listed in anyone's historic registry.

Thanks to those of you who took the time to read and respond.

Edited by Troop_Cat

As there has been little discussion, I have resigned myself to accept my proposal will not make it. I still think we are missing out on a good thing.

"This Old Courthouse" could be as nice a category as "This Old Church"; think of all the courthouses in the world that are not listed in anyone's historic registry.

Oh, I wouldn't resign myself this way! The give and take is healthy. So, just because I myself would prefer an all-inclusive court house category does NOT mean that, if you feel passionate about this, you should not create a category based on YOUR criteria! And, it does NOT even mean that I would vote against such a category. It has merit in its own right. As long as it meets the general criteria to be workable as a category, then I think it ought to fly.

There was quite a discussion about old churches, too. What exists may not be perfect, but it seems to be working.

So, keep at it!