Suncatcher 2006

crake

The method for preordering coins is to buy them through the store. I don't send invoices (unless there is a technical problem).

That said, more coins are on their way, and I'll open orders again once I have a shipping date!

Chris, you do things right, you do :grin: We're more than happy to wait for the rest of the coins to get in! We just couldn't get to your website right away, but it's nice to know that we'll still have our shot at these :)

Hey Crake,

Just wanted to say I think these coins are innovative and look great. I showed the design to Mrs Avroair and she asked what method and metals was used to make them. Is it possible to provide a small sheet with the coin (or posted here) about how they were made?

Hey Crake,

Just wanted to say I think these coins are innovative and look great. I showed the design to Mrs Avroair and she asked what method and metals was used to make them. Is it possible to provide a small sheet with the coin (or posted here) about how they were made?

Greets this was on page 2 of this thread from -crake- It however does not say what metals, Glenn

The enamel is called "suncatcher enamel" and I don't know if its the same as transparent enamel (it might be). The design has cutouts, and the mint applies a tape to one side and fills the cutouts with enamel. Then the enamel is cured and the tape removed. One side is flat, and the other side has dips like soft enamel.
Edited by glennk721
I hope there are some left when I get home from work at 6 (if i go out caching, I may not be home until 9). Shouldn't every employer have internet access?? tongue.gif

It wouldn't surprise me if I go out caching today (day off, whoo!) and come back to find them all sold out...

That's exactly what happened to me. :(

Waiting for that email.:P

Edited by Webfoot

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR SUNCATCHER PREORDERS

Due to overwhelming popularity, the stock allocated for pre-orders has been exhausted. Never fear - enough coins will be made to satisfy demand, but they will not ship until mid-September. As paypal does not allow preorders that far into the future, pre-orders have been temporarily suspended. I will email members of the CRAKE mailing list when orders are reopened as well as keep this thread up to date.

Pre-orders already on the books continue to be scheduled to ship by Aug 31.

:unsure::blink: I went on a campout on the 10th and _just_ got back to civilization... I shall pout now. :P:)

(and yes, I'm already on the email list, so I'll hopefully get one when it becomes available again.)

Edited by Snowwolf75

Metal/process:

For this coin I used a zinc-alloy that is poured into a mold. Most of my other coins were die-stamped brass. The metal coin is then polished, the tracking number carved into the surface, plated with nickel, sandblasted, and then colored with suncatcher enamel. The back is taped-off and the enamel filled from the front. The coin is baked, curing the enamel and then the tape is removed.

Availability:

Everyone who wants a coin will get a chance to get one. I expect orders to open back up next week.

Unfortuantely the bit about this being a complex coin to make continues to be true. There has been a major quality issue resulting in having to reject a large quantity of coins in the 1st set of coins. I am actively working with the mint to resolve the problem.

In the meantime I will be able to ship some orders this week. If you have a "estimated ship date 8/31" order that will be delayed, I will send email by Friday (after I get a chance to take inventory and ship what I have on hand).

I apologize for the delay. There's nothing more heartbreaking than opening boxes of coins to find hundreds with flaws :)

Unfortuantely the bit about this being a complex coin to make continues to be true. There has been a major quality issue resulting in having to reject a large quantity of coins in the 1st set of coins. I am actively working with the mint to resolve the problem.

In the meantime I will be able to ship some orders this week. If you have a "estimated ship date 8/31" order that will be delayed, I will send email by Friday (after I get a chance to take inventory and ship what I have on hand).

I apologize for the delay. There's nothing more heartbreaking than opening boxes of coins to find hundreds with flaws :)

Not to worry Crake, I'm sure that everyone will agree these coins look fantastic and we can wait until they meet your standards, better that than to send out something you are not happy with and have disappointed customers.

Thanks, Mark :unsure:

I apologize for the delay. There's nothing more heartbreaking than opening boxes of coins to find hundreds with flaws :D

Not to worry Crake, I'm sure that everyone will agree these coins look fantastic and we can wait until they meet your standards, better that than to send out something you are not happy with and have disappointed customers.

Thanks, Mark :D

One important thing I've learned: Ship a product late, the customer will forget it was late. Ship a defective product on time, the customer will NEVER forget it was defective!

I'm really anxious to get these coins, but I certainly don't want a defective one. Glad you have high standards!

Actually I'm just sending out updates to everyone now. Here's the deal:

Short story:

The mint hired temp workers who were sloppy on the enamel and destroyed almost all of the first production run. They are remaking the coins, but since the tracking numbers are carved by CNC (well, not really, but pretty much the same result and while very nice one that I'm not going to do again!) its taking longer than usual.

Long story:

A few weeks ago I received the first production shipment of coins and had to reject a large number due to serious flaws. Even though geocoins are made by hand and some slight variation occurs with all coins, the magnitude of variation on the first production run was unacceptable.

Since then I have been working with the mint to resolve the production issues. This design is complex (and fragile), and extra time was required to resolve the issues. At this point around 30% of the coins have been reworked and the 2nd production shipment is due to arrive in the next few days. The remaining 70% are still in production and are expected in the next couple of weeks.

I will ship coins as soon as orders can be filled. For example, if I have both warm and cool coins available the next person on my list who placed a combo order will have their order shipped. If I have just warm coins available then the next person who ordered just warm coins will have their order shipped. The goal is to not hold orders any longer than necessary.

Again, I apologize for the delay. Of course at any time anyone with an open order may cancel or modify their order.

*sigh*

One important thing I've learned: Ship a product late, the customer will forget it was late. Ship a defective product on time, the customer will NEVER forget it was defective!

Very, very very true! Tell them to take their time and get it right, Chris. We'll still be here when they finally come in. We have lots of other geocoins to send out :) As long as I have a set for my parents for Christmas, the rest can come when they come. Thanks for the update!

I would like to order the mix lot coins (with the Monarch, the two suncatchers, NAVSTAR...ect...) listed first on the order page when they are available. These coins are so cool!

Email me so I can set aside the coins (if you haven't already). I'm almost out of NAVSTARs.

Another round of coins arrived with that "Fresh Mint" smell. Another large shipment is expected later this week. So orders are again being filled - thanks everyone for your patience!

For those with reservations, I will tackle those once the mint finishes the existing coins. I'm concerned that placing another production order right now will confuse the issue.

Waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting.

They are WELL worth the wait!! In fact, I liked them so much that even though I had bought 3 sets (and have already traded 3 of the coins out), I reserved 2 more sets, this time the Monarch/Navstar/Suncatcher combo.

:wub: