Leaving Container Open, Etc.

Here are a couple of on-line logs that I have stumbled across. I know the cachers were well-meaning, but don't they have any common sense?

"The cache had gotten a bit wet from recent rains so we left it open to dry. The next cacher can probably close it, it was pretty warm today and should probably be dry if the animal muggle (hopefully) doesn't get into it again."

"Found the cache open and half full of water. The log book is soaked. Dried it the best we could and replaced the cache upside down so it won't happen again."

The first one seems completely idiotic. Maybe this logic would work if it was an extremely popular cache which was sure to be visited again that day, but the next visit occurred more than a week later. I have not visited this cache, but the log indicates that it can be exposed to rain.

The second one is using the logic that if the lid is at the bottom, water can't fill it half-way up. I visited this container both before and soon after the posting and the lid fit fine both times; someone just didn't get the lid closed properly. Since the container was found open, it should have been obvious that it could be best fixed by simply closing the lid? The container's lid had an overhanging lip which would make it shed rain when right-side-up and catch it when it was up-side-down. The logger just replaced one problem with a different problem.

Normally, things like this would just make me laugh (like the "stupid criminal" stories), but I've encountered too many nasty, wet caches to appreciate the humor in it.

Does anyone else know of any idiotic cachers?...hopefully with less destructive results.

Edited by medoug

One of my pet peeves along this line are the cachers who don't replace the container so it's well hidden. Some of my caches are kind of hidden in plain sight so to speak. They are setup so they are nearly invisible when hidden correctly, but they stick out like sore thumbs if not put back right. Often when I check on them, they're left somewhat exposed and some have been muggled because of this. What can you do though? I put a request on the cache web page to please carefully rehide the container, but I still have to check on it often. Maybe they're trying to make it easier for the next cacher, but it really messes things up.

I would send them a note explaining the function of the Needs Maintenance log and that it is not necessary to leave the cache open, in fact when they do that etc, etc.

I fully support being a friendly cacher, but dang how else are people going to learn? Ya gotta make contact.

You can search for days, even weeks, for the perfect spot. Spend hours in the garage, getting the cache camo just right.

But the hardest thing to do is 'idiot-proof' a cache...

This cache of mine gets thrown an average of ten feet, from its hiding spot, at least once every two weeks. Despite the warning on the cache page, it still occurs.

As for a soaking wet log, I would probably add a new logbook, complete with a waterproof bag. I do understand their rationale behind airing it out. Moisture has nowhere to go in a sealed container.

Yes, I often find my caches at different spots from where I had originally hidden them.

I spend much time to find the right place to hide them and some "clever" geocacher thinks that the cache can be hidden at a different spot better.

Well, I am the owner and I have all the rights to define the exact point of the cache.

Recently at one of the most famous of my micros in Athens, Greece at Acropolis Rock - Anafiotika 1, someone could not find the listerine box as a micro and he placed a new one (a blue pill box) of his own with a log sheet and claimed that he found my cache!

Well, what does he think he achieved? Confusion to all the next geocachers...

I wrote as a rule that the cache after the log must be returned to the original spot or else I have the right to delete the log...I have already deleted some logs that are not found in my listerine box...

I searched the area for the blue pill box but did not find it. And after all I don't feel that I have to be the hunter at my own cache...None has the right to place caches at an area of 0.1 miles around...or I am wrong?

So with frequent maintenance check ups, I can tell that my micros will be fully functional and the next geocachers can read the original hints and can be directed to the cache !

Regards,

YanniG

I think that there could be one explanation in addition to idiots.

Most people that find a cache have probably eaten sometime in the past few hours.

Depending on the food, I can smell it on my hands several hours later even after several handwashings.

(Mexican food, onions, gyros, garlic, etc.)

Some of the smell can transfer onto the cache container, the logbook, the swag....

An animal may smell the odor and think there is food inside.

Something like tupperware can easily be batted around until the lid pops.

Animals like racoons can easily open many containers.

Possibly the 'stinky cacher' did properly restash the cache, but left the scent of food.

Lock & Lock containers certainly would prevent openings due to temp differentials poofing the top off a cache, but wouldn't slow an animal at all.

I like ammo boxes myself; they are never a little open or a little closed. When you close it, you know it.

Some tupperware's get so full of swag and papers in ziplocs it's hard to get the lid on without snagging some plastic in the groove - preventing a proper seal.

Whether ammo boxes or Lock & Lock stuff, I think containers that latch are much preferrable to those that just have a press-fit closure.

$0.02, -Kris

One of my pet peeves along this line are the cachers who don't replace the container so it's well hidden. Some of my caches are kind of hidden in plain sight so to speak. They are setup so they are nearly invisible when hidden correctly, but they stick out like sore thumbs if not put back right. Often when I check on them, they're left somewhat exposed and some have been muggled because of this. What can you do though? I put a request on the cache web page to please carefully rehide the container, but I still have to check on it often. Maybe they're trying to make it easier for the next cacher, but it really messes things up.

I had the same problem with a cache of mine when the wording on the cache page was "Rehid the cache as you found it or better." Then I saw "Please take a few minutes to do a world-class camouflage job after your find." on another cahe page and changed my cache page to use the same wording. I've yet to have a problem with the cache being moved from it's hiding spot since I made the change.

It's human naturew to move something before you notice how it's positioned, farmers see it all the time, people never close and fasten a gate the way the found it. I have the same problem with the water hose on my mixer, hang it up wrong and it will fall off and my front tire will rip it off the truck, it's happened three times in 11 years. I have to watch it like a hawk on every job because no one ever hangs it up the way they found it. Rehiding a cache is no different, if there is more than one way to rehide it, someone will do it wrong.

Recently some Canadian cachers came through Atlanta and visited a few of my caches. The containers for those were lock 'n locks. I guess they don't have those type containers or have not seen them before because every cache they visited of mine the lid was put on upside down (gasket side out). All 3 caches took on water as a result. Shakes head.

... "Found the cache open and half full of water. The log book is soaked. Dried it the best we could and replaced the cache upside down so it won't happen again." ...

I'm going to avoid piling on this topic, but please explain how this is idiotic? They found a cache that clearly leaked and replaced it lid-down so, hopefully, it would leak less. It actually reminds me that the best way to hide a film can (the innies, not the outies) is to leave it lid-down.

Recently some Canadian cachers came through Atlanta and visited a few of my caches. The containers for those were lock 'n locks. I guess they don't have those type containers or have not seen them before because every cache they visited of mine the lid was put on upside down (gasket side out). All 3 caches took on water as a result. Shakes head.

:drama:

On one mine caches a cacher noted that the cache was left open. So I figured since they made a nice post to remark that it was open that it would be closed. Well I went to the cache to make sure nothing was wet inside to find that the cachew was still open. :lol:

On one mine caches a cacher noted that the cache was left open. So I figured since they made a nice post to remark that it was open that it would be closed. Well I went to the cache to make sure nothing was wet inside to find that the cachew was still open. :lol:

Once you open a cachew, it's almost impossible to get closed again. Walnuts are much easier. :drama:

Edited by sbell111
... "Found the cache open and half full of water. The log book is soaked. Dried it the best we could and replaced the cache upside down so it won't happen again." ...

I'm going to avoid piling on this topic, but please explain how this is idiotic? They found a cache that clearly leaked and replaced it lid-down so, hopefully, it would leak less. It actually reminds me that the best way to hide a film can (the innies, not the outies) is to leave it lid-down.

The container had a style similar to the "outie"-style film can with a lid that had a lip that overhung the container lip. That is why this was idiotic. Turning the container up-side-down made the lid lip act like a tiny funnel letting in more water when it rained instead of acting like a shingle to shed the water when it is right-side-up.

I did maintenance on a container this week that had a hole chewed through the lid by a critter. I found it on its side with the hole at the bottom. In this unique situation, the previous cacher did the right thing to help keep its contents dry. BTW, I found the container in a different hiding spot more than 10 feet away. Hopefully moving it back to the original hiding spot will help deter the critter.

medoug.

<snip>

I like ammo boxes myself; they are never a little open or a little closed. When you close it, you know it.

Some tupperware's get so full of swag and papers in ziplocs it's hard to get the lid on without snagging some plastic in the groove - preventing a proper seal.

Whether ammo boxes or Lock & Lock stuff, I think containers that latch are much preferrable to those that just have a press-fit closure.

$0.02, -Kris

On an ammo can my brother and I placed several years ago, after the container was "moved" from its original location, we started getting DNF logs, so I went down to take a look. Found the ammo can more than 50 yards away from the original spot with the lid completely removed. In the log, someone wrote "the lid seems to be broken." It had been pulled off the pins. I quickly stuck it back on, closed it up and put it "back" in its original spot.

I didn't realized ammo cans were so complicated :D

I didn't realized ammo cans were so complicated :D

Actually to a brand new cacher they can be. Outside of caching, the military, and maybe a few other reasons, how many people would have reason to know how to open/close an ammo can? It took me a minute to figure out the first one I found.

Edit: spelling

Edited by FamilyDNA

It's human naturew to move something before you notice how it's positioned, farmers see it all the time, people never close and fasten a gate the way the found it. I have the same problem with the water hose on my mixer, hang it up wrong and it will fall off and my front tire will rip it off the truck, it's happened three times in 11 years. I have to watch it like a hawk on every job because no one ever hangs it up the way they found it. Rehiding a cache is no different, if there is more than one way to rehide it, someone will do it wrong.

That's for sure!

I do it myself too sometimes, but I'm trying to break the habit.

When I spot a cache, there's an urge to instantly uncover it and "see what you won".

I always bring the digicam out in the woods, and I've gotten into the habit of taking a picture from where I stand when I first spot the cache.

Then, when all is done, I rehide it and take another picture.

If I did it right, the pictures look the same.

Plus, I have a photo scrapbook now of all our finds!

-K

I have only one cache hidden so far, and its hidden well, or so I thought. Where its hidden I have plenty of pine straw to cover the ammo box well enough to keep it from being seen by prying eyes, seeing how it was near a number of pine trees, and hidden under one to begin with. :D

After I did a check on it the other day, after learning it was left open, and in plain site, everything was there, the swag, the log book (less the zip lock bag) and the box. Yet I found that it had somehow gain the properties to seek out tree bark, of every shape, size and length to cover itself up. :D

Now why it's using tree bark, when there's plenty of pine straw around is beyond me, but I checked and filled it again today and found more tree bark hiding it than before. :D

It's odd what an ammo can will do to hide itself. And the funny part of it all, there was no bark anywhere near the tree it rested under. Except what's still clinging to the tree. :D

Go figure! :D

But I've been lucky to only find one cache that was full of water, and it was because a rodent had chewed a hole in the lid and allowed water to seek in. Duct tape fixed that and I haven't heard anyone complaining about another wet log in that cache yet.

But we're only human. We rush around, doing to many things at once, we waste time, and we're always forget to put the lid down.

At least that's what the wife tells me...

What was the question again?