Magellan Explorist 500 Gps Navigator

josh16

Hey Everybody,

I'm new to Geocaching and I was looking for a GPS system. I had been looking around and the Magellan eXplorist 500 GPS Navigator caught me eye. Is this a good GPS? Any help given is much appreciated :laughing:

Thanks,

Josh16

Have heard good reports. You might want to look around for their new accessory battery clip. This allows you to not rely upon their proprietary lion battery and instead use standard or rechargable AAA batts of your choosing. They just came out with a 500 LE which has the clip built in. I am curious, what is it about the 500 that makes you prefer it over the 400? An excellent source for batts and chargers: http://www.thomas-distributing.com/index.htm Go here for carry cases: http://www.gilsson.com/magellan_gps/cases/men.htm :mad::laughing::( Cache on Garth!! ;-)

Edited by Team Cotati

Regarding service, one recent post on this site reported excellent service from Magellan and another recent post reported terrible service from Garmin. I do not know who to believe and perhaps no one should post heresay and third party reports on this subject. Lets let those with first hand knowledge post their opinions.

I have had a explorist 500 for over a year and it has worked perfectly. I have had a Meridian for 3.5 years and it has never needed service. I have had a Garmin Legend for 3.5+ years and it could use service but still works when I whack it and move the cursor in circles.

At a reported price after rebate of $175, this is an excellent value for the eX500.

Thanks for all the help it is much appreciated :unsure: . Any good ideas on were to buy it? I saw that Tigerdirect had it for $292.99 http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/sea...2&sku=M775-0006

After doing lots of searching and price comparisons, ordered 500 yesterday from PC Connect for $232 with a little over $9 in shipping charges for ground shippment or you can have it overnighted for $16. Radio Shack had the next best deal at $239 with free shipping, but they charge state tax...so pretty much a toss up. My son-in -law has one and he likes the unit just fine....enjoy! :unsure:

Thanks for all the help it is much appreciated :unsure: . Any good ideas on were to buy it? I saw that Tigerdirect had it for $292.99 http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/sea...2&sku=M775-0006

After doing lots of searching and price comparisons, ordered 500 yesterday from PC Connect for $232 with a little over $9 in shipping charges for ground shippment or you can have it overnighted for $16. Radio Shack had the next best deal at $239 with free shipping, but they charge state tax...so pretty much a toss up. My son-in -law has one and he likes the unit just fine....enjoy! :unsure:

Thanks for the help, however RadioShack.com only ships to the US and I live in Canada.

I was talking to one of my friends when he said that I need the MapSend Topo Canada for the Magellan Explorist 500 GPS Navigator for Geocaching. Is this true? :huh:

No. Mapsend detail map files will make an Explorist more useful, and in some instances may even make geocaching a little easier, but it is not necessary. All you need for geocaching is a direction and a distance to go. Any Explorist will do that out of the box.

I was talking to one of my friends when he said that I need the MapSend Topo Canada for the Magellan Explorist 500 GPS Navigator for Geocaching. Is this true? :huh:

No. Mapsend detail map files will make an Explorist more useful, and in some instances may even make geocaching a little easier, but it is not necessary. All you need for geocaching is a direction and a distance to go. Any Explorist will do that out of the box.

Ok, Thanks for your help! :)

I have the 500 and like it. It's just right!

Enjoy - Matt

I was talking to one of my friends when he said that I need the MapSend Topo Canada for the Magellan Explorist 500 GPS Navigator for Geocaching. Is this true? :)

Ok, Thanks for your help! :huh: