Jeep 4x4 2006 Geocaching Challenge

Bryan

Launched one in Arizona yesterday, placed it in a new cache. My Question is How can you find caches where these have been placed? I know I can go through the find a cache page but do I really have to look at every cache in the state until I find the GJ icon?

Couple of things, you can use the pocket querries to find caches in your area with bugs in them, and then seach the caches for a GJTB icon. This page is also of help: http://jeep.geocaching.com/track/history.aspx

That is exactly what I do! Of course I haven't found any near enough to go grab, but that's how I looked for them.

On another note, everyone keeps mentioning the amount of stamps on their Jeep package. I feel cheated because I just got one lousy stamp for $0.87 from stamps.com on mine! :D

Wow, you did get cheated.

I'm keeping my envelope for amusement value. May turn it into a TB. ;)

That's not so bad, I ordered an 1:18 scale JEEP (TNA75KH) from gear.jeep.com and the S&H on the $24.00 JEEP was about $10.00!

regarding how best to search your area for green jeeps...

My method involves scaling/zooming down the cache search page until you can see the full page without having to scroll (I'm using opera, so I keep hitting the "-"/"minus" key) this makes the text unreadable but you can still make out the green jeep icon quite clearly. Then you keep clicking on the 'next' link until you've looked through all your search pages.

I search in a 30-40 mile radius which results in about 90 pages. Using this method I can get through all 90 in only a couple of minutes. Eliminating the need to scroll is the key.

regarding how best to search your area for green jeeps...

My method involves scaling/zooming down the cache search page until you can see the full page without having to scroll (I'm using opera, so I keep hitting the "-"/"minus" key) this makes the text unreadable but you can still make out the green jeep icon quite clearly. Then you keep clicking on the 'next' link until you've looked through all your search pages.

I search in a 30-40 mile radius which results in about 90 pages. Using this method I can get through all 90 in only a couple of minutes. Eliminating the need to scroll is the key.

Yes, this is a nice tip. Best to have an idea on how far you want to go. If the cache is close, best to go RIGHT NOW if you can. Yesterday, I saw one drop 7.6 miles away. I ran right out and found another cacher had beat me there my two minuets. We both searched and I found the container. I let them take the JEEP, only discovering it myself. Estimate the odds of it really being in the cache can also save you a trip. I've seen a bunch of people not really putting them in caches for someone to find, but meeting up with a chum for a hand off. Hardly seems in the sprit of the contest. To each their own.

Edited by coggins

5000 or 6000?

GC front page says there are 5000 GJTBs out there. Yet Jeep 4x4 2006 owns 6000 of them. What are the extra 1000?

300 pages of 20 each = 6,000. I have seen numbers saying '5,500' 'over 5,000' etc...

If you count TB12Y54/JP8M3W/"Copper Mountain (CO)" Green Jeep Travel Bug you might get 6,001.

The submitted pictures for the contest only show up to Aug 4th. Do they only post pictures once a week?

Prior to publishing new photos, we have to check them to make sure that they are family friendly. We usually review them a couple times per week but it really depends on volume. The list is now up to date.

So....I guess I'm one of the lucky ones - I sent in my form request and received a Jeep TB a couple of days ago. My question is: I logged it in but it doesn't show up on my "TB Inventory" . I'm trying to figure out how to say "I placed it". What am I missing?

You need to log as "Grab it from somewhere else", not "Discovered It" for it show up in your inventory.

Edited by coggins

Well there was at least ONE released in Colorado cause I got it. I got it from a cache, that took a real jeep to get to. I'm gonna keep it for a week (Only able to cache on week ends) and then take it back to the mountains somewhere. If I can't get out on the week end then I will drop in the cache around the corner from my house so someone else gets a chance at it.

To clarify:

I would be eternally grateful if someone would send me a green jeep through the Stargate System. My Stargate is here: GCVNE9 To the first person who sends me a GREEN JEEP through the Stargate, I will send a shiny, brand-new, unactivated MGA geocoin. They are trackable, with their own icon.

Offer revoked, I got a couple of greenies today.

Looking at the contest photos that have been entered so far, I see there are a couple of photos that clearly show jeep hording. I can understand if they have one maybe two jeeps but one photo entry shows the green jeep with five other jeeps. I will not vote for someone who clearly is hording the jeeps. Put the Jeeps back in the caches where they belong.

Looking at the contest photos that have been entered so far, I see there are a couple of photos that clearly show jeep hording. I can understand if they have one maybe two jeeps but one photo entry shows the green jeep with five other jeeps. I will not vote for someone who clearly is hording the jeeps. Put the Jeeps back in the caches where they belong.

There's the possibility that the jeeps were held by someone hosting an event. We went to a georally recently, where they were giving green jeeps away as part of a raffle. We were lucky enough to win one. They had the paperwork there for us to fill out, to be returned to the Jeep people.

Of course, you could be right, and the owner of the picture is a horder. If that is the case, then shame for sure, but unless there is proof, it would be difficult to judge.

If people want to create the "hordes of Jeep" effect in their contest photo, they can buy the diecasts separately, for reasonable prices. It's made by Maisto, available online at Jeep.com as well as at select Wal-Mart stores. If they are really creative, they can use mirrors.

I know one of our local cachers was going to submit a photo with all three types of jeeps in it, but in this case he definitely wasn't a hoarder. He picked up a yellow jeep that I had placed in a cache more than a month before (how it sat there that long, I have no idea, I was surprised) and went and found a white jeep in the same manner. I'm not sure if he's placed them yet (not sure if it's even been 2 weeks). But I'm sure the green jeep already got placed. It's safe to say that those who frequent the TB forum know I'm pretty vocal about the jeep underhandedness, but I'm also fair and won't accuse anyone unless I know what the story behind it is. I know there will be some jeep hoarding, but not everything that appears to be hoarding is.

I agree, you tend to see this type of behavior. I for one feel guilt when I have a TB for more than a week. We were lucky enough to have found 3 Green Jeeps so far. And feel truely blessed to have found this sport. My kids just love to use the TB's we find in there playtime goings on & to help them on their quests, which is how they came up with our entry. I think I like geocoins the best though.

Edited by Team Howling Beagle

So....I guess I'm one of the lucky ones - I sent in my form request and received a Jeep TB a couple of days ago. My question is: I logged it in but it doesn't show up on my "TB Inventory" . I'm trying to figure out how to say "I placed it". What am I missing?

I think you need to "grab it up from somewhere else" first then it will show in your inventory -- or discover it.

I think you need to "grab it up from somewhere else" first then it will show in your inventory -- or discover it.

Yes, you'll need to go to the jeep page and select Found It? Log it! Then grab. Discover won't put it into your drop inventory.

We still have Jeeps. All orders received so far have been filled.

At what point is it safe to assume that either my "order" or my Jeep was lost by the thoughtful and detail-oriented folks at the USPS? :huh: I sent my form in around July 5th. I've got nothing to show for it. :( Is there any way to confirm if the order made it? At least then I'd have narrowed down the loss point.

We still have Jeeps. All orders received so far have been filled.

At what point is it safe to assume that either my "order" or my Jeep was lost by the thoughtful and detail-oriented folks at the USPS? :huh: I sent my form in around July 5th. I've got nothing to show for it. :( Is there any way to confirm if the order made it? At least then I'd have narrowed down the loss point.

As of today, it is very safe to assume that you will not be receiving one. We are sorry but we literally have a huge box full of envelopes still waiting for GJTBs and we have no more to send. We shipped them in the order that they were received. So, if you sent your form early and didn't receive one, it was probably lost in the mail. If you sent one late, then it probably didn't make the cut.

So, if you sent your form early and didn't receive one, it was probably lost in the mail. If you sent one late, then it probably didn't make the cut.

I'm not sure when the form was available but it was posted on out local forum on July 3rd and mine was in the mail at the next mail collection... I'd have thought that "early". From this I'll conclude that something was lost in transit. The other question was if there was any way to determine in which direction it got lost. Was my form lost or was the Jeep lost. Either way, the USPS sucks eggs.

Thanks for the answer any how...

Edited by mini cacher

Here is my Jeep Travel bug climbing Mt Rushmore. This is the ULTIMATE PIC! I rode my motorcycle 1,800 miles to get this picture!!! VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!! I discovered Courtney Hansen at Mt Rushmore shooting her new TV show "Destination Wild" so I got her to pose with my travel bug. You got to see these two pics !!!! Her entire film crew was driving new Jeeps!

Courtney Hansen

http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?L...ff-5f0448eeecc7

Jeep climbing Mt Rushmore

http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?L...62-b26d1dc68687

I so need a real GPS! Please VOTE FOR MY PICTURES!!!!!

Thank you for your support.