Jeep 4x4 2006 Geocaching Challenge

Bryan

Excitedly printed off the form, filled it out, then read the small print:

US residents only, exludes Alaska and Hawaii

Bummer for the 49th and 50th STATES. :unsure:

Glad I saw that before putting a stamp on an envelop.

Guess shipping a winning full-size Jeep would be a bit much :unsure:

Ditto.

*sniff* Darn paradise tax. *sniff*

Once again I ask

If no one from a state sends a request form in or people from a state send them in but for whatever reasons Groundspeak says no, then that state in theory is screwed over and wont get jeeps unless people bring them in from out of state??

In the past they have sent them to the charter groups in a bunch of 100 to go out at events. I don't remember the number but wasn't last years total number of jeeps 5000? I don't recall cachers being able to request any to be sent to them?

You are right, that is how they have done it in the past, but this year you have to fill out a form and even if you send one in they can still reserve the right to not send you one. We all know the big names on the forums will be getting one at least...oh well....

Once again I ask

If no one from a state sends a request form in or people from a state send them in but for whatever reasons Groundspeak says no, then that state in theory is screwed over and wont get jeeps unless people bring them in from out of state??

In the past they have sent them to the charter groups in a bunch of 100 to go out at events. I don't remember the number but wasn't last years total number of jeeps 5000? I don't recall cachers being able to request any to be sent to them?

You are right, that is how they have done it in the past, but this year you have to fill out a form and even if you send one in they can still reserve the right to not send you one. We all know the big names on the forums will be getting one at least...oh well....

You are right, but we all know how the "little" clicks work. Hopefully Jeep will have a fair way of sending the jeeps out so the "little" clicks don't have control of them all.

Cool! Glad to see the contest is back, although I think it's safe to assume there will be lots of arguing again this year.

You're probably correct, but I'm curious what you think would be the source for arguments?

Oh come on, Lep. You know as well as anyone on here that no matter how they are distributed, at least HALF of those green jeeps will NEVER, EVER see the inside of a cache.

I thought it'd be fun to show our contiguously-dwelling cousins

how much countryside we have up here in Alaska to drive our Jeeps

(and hide our caches) across...

akoverus.jpg

Yup, this discontiguous state has more coastline than the rest of the country combined,

is one-fifth the size of the contiguous states, sprawls across an area as wide as... well...

the 'lower 48,' and is looking forward to the Signal Green Jeep TB with real anticipation

(see - we're even green on the map!)

:unsure:

And I'm sure the other 27 people that live there agree with you :unsure:

This may have been said before, but in the picture they are showing the tracking number. ;):blink::unsure::unsure:;)

Yes, I have already logged that TB in and out of 500 caches around the world since the image appeared on the Jeep Challege page yesterday! And I have also already created some great fotos for the contest using the Jeep image plus Photoshop tools!

:blink::sad::(:(

Once again I ask

I would hope, if they do anything but a random draw, they would look at a cacher's previous record for placing jeeps or tb's...

However it gets done, I'm sure someone will complain about it somehow. I will only whine about the folks wh get one, but don't move it on, not how Groundspeak chooses to distribute them. :laughing:

This may have been said before, but in the picture they are showing the tracking number. :ph34r::D:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Yes, I have already logged that TB in and out of 500 caches around the world since the image appeared on the Jeep Challege page yesterday! And I have also already created some great fotos for the contest using the Jeep image plus Photoshop tools!

;):D:DB)

It hasn't been activated yet. :ph34r:

2006bug.JPG

Based on this method though if no one in a certain state send a form in, or gc.com says no to people from that state then in theory a whole state could be left out of the game

Huh? Just because no one in your state requests one doesn't mean one won't make it's way into a cache around you.

Just don't expect to see any Jeep TBs in your area until AFTER the contest. Some people like to hold on the the Jeep TBs for the length of the contest. Last year the rules were tweeked to eliminate this as an advantage. However there will always be some that will participate in this grab and hold lunacy.

Based on this method though if no one in a certain state send a form in, or gc.com says no to people from that state then in theory a whole state could be left out of the game

Huh? Just because no one in your state requests one doesn't mean one won't make it's way into a cache around you.

Just don't expect to see any Jeep TBs in your area until AFTER the contest. Some people like to hold on the the Jeep TBs for the length of the contest. Last year the rules were tweeked to eliminate this as an advantage. However there will always be some that will participate in this grab and hold lunacy.

Yep, January here before one finally showed up, and it had been held since July. To date it's still the only one I've seen locally. Yea boy, all we gotta do is wait for one to come to us... :laughing:

Bummer for the 49th and 50th STATES. :laughing:

Glad I saw that before putting a stamp on an envelop.

Guess shipping a winning full-size Jeep would be a bit much :laughing:

Ditto.

*sniff* Darn paradise tax. *sniff*

Yea. I'm not sure what the deal is with Hawaii. It can't be cost of shipping. If there is any difference it isn't that much and contest winners usually pay tax and other fees anyway. Also there are other companies that include Hawaii in their contest. Contest law in Hawaii can't be all that harsh.

The thing I don't like is by the time we see the Jeep TBs someone has usually modified the Jeep. I don't mean just wear and tear. I had a YJTB that someone put stickers all over. A little WD40 and elbow grease took them right off and some black finger nail polish made it look good as new. I just found a WJTB with some symbols scratched in to the hood. I'll be buying some sand paper and white finger nail polish to restore the Jeep.

Must be age 18 and over and have a valid driver’s license.

Well, I've got the second part covered, but I really am starting to hate the "18 and over" rule for contests. mad.gif

OK, since I didn't get any real response before, I'll try it again...

Why must one be over 18 and in posession of a valid driver's license in order to hide a matchbox jeep in a tupperware box in the woods?

I don't get it... :laughing:

I've got 9 months to go until I meet the 18+ age requirement, but I'm still confused as to why one needs to be 18+ with a driver's license to help with the TB distribution...

Happy Caching!

Jeff

Must be age 18 and over and have a valid driver’s license.

Well, I've got the second part covered, but I really am starting to hate the "18 and over" rule for contests. mad.gif

OK, since I didn't get any real response before, I'll try it again...

Why must one be over 18 and in posession of a valid driver's license in order to hide a matchbox jeep in a tupperware box in the woods?

I don't get it... :laughing:

I've got 9 months to go until I meet the 18+ age requirement, but I'm still confused as to why one needs to be 18+ with a driver's license to help with the TB distribution...

Happy Caching!

Jeff

I'd say it isn't the hiding part that is the problem, it's the legality of an underaged person winning the real Jeep. Since you can't legally own the Grand prize yet they simply exclude you from the entire contest.

This also makes it seem likely that whoever receives them to place will indeed be entered in the contest when they place them. If they keep the Jeep they should be disqualified from the contest, IMHO.

It isn't the "hiding" part, it is the "contest" part for which a person has to be 18.

Can you get someone else to request the Jeep for you? Then you could be the first to place it, or if the rules are more stringent than that, they could place it and you could be the first person to pick it up. :laughing:

Then you can put it in another cache . . . there is no way they can restrict who handles the Jeep once it has been released.

Please don't ask me to trade a freshly-caught Kenai River Red Salmon for a Signal Green Jeep TB...

that'd be so wrong!

:laughing:

What about a pizza. I hear they are scarce up north. Or fresh corn on the cob, tis the season here. :ph34r:

Everyone has their price... :laughing:

Got the pizza covered at Moose's Tooth Pub & Pizzeria with arguably the best pizza and home brew in the world. Fresh corn will be showing up soon at the Tanana Valley Farmers Market.

We want GJTBs!!! :ph34r::laughing:

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Please don't ask me to trade a freshly-caught Kenai River Red Salmon for a Signal Green Jeep TB...

that'd be so wrong!

:ph34r:

What about a pizza. I hear they are scarce up north. Or fresh corn on the cob, tis the season here. :laughing:

Everyone has their price... :ph34r:

Got the pizza covered at Moose's Tooth Pub & Pizzeria with arguably the best pizza and home brew in the world. Fresh corn will be showing up soon at the Tanana Valley Farmers Market.

We want GJTBs!!! ;):laughing:

Sorry, can't promise what I don't have. :laughing:

But if I get one and don't forget, I'll let you know. :D

Ah, do not feel too bad. There is no provision for displaced US citizens anywhere outside, wherever they may be. :laughing:

You are, of course, absolutely right. However, there will be a FEW that travel (at least for a while) and one or two are likely to make it to your state sooner or later. If worse comes to worst, you can always get a few at an event somewhere.

I don't recognize that style of Jeep. Kinda looks like a hybrid between a Wrangler and a Commander.

I do believe I've seen this model on various Jeep accessory sites in their toy sections - sure looks like the Jeep Rescue Concept model. (For those who feel a driving need to have one for a private collection, note that you can get them for $2.00.)

Features (per Daimler-Chrysler) - note they're talking about the real vehicle, not the TB :laughing::

Modern interpretation of the timeless, classic Jeep
  • Hints at a future design direction for a large Jeep, building on the rugged Jeep heritage to forge an exciting new dimension for the Jeep brand
  • Can be configured to run almost totally “open” – with folding front windshield and a retractable backlite, a sliding glass sunroof in front, a fold-forward canvas roof in the rear
  • All four doors are removable

A Rugged Foundation

• All-new body-on-frame construction with hydroformed frame rails
  • 80-inch wide chassis with 123-inch wheelbase
  • Front hydropneumatic suspension combines with the heavy-duty link-coil rear suspension
  • Suspension with adjustable ride height and an additional 4-inch lift available for fording
  • 37-inch tires feature an MTR tread and run-flat capability
  • On-board tire pressure control can “tune” tire pressures for maximum traction on all surfaces

Unequalled Rescue Capability

• Cummins Diesel engine
  • Seating for five
  • AC electric power (10 kW) generation in the field
  • 3-D topographical mapping software and topographical navigation system
  • Under- chassis, point-of-view cameras for avoiding danger in its path
  • Passive, infrared (thermal) cameras for search and rescue
  • Satellite telephone; VHF radio, digital video recorder with satellite transmission capability
  • Retractable 4-point harnesses for vehicle occupants
  • Exterior perimeter lighting
  • White LEV lighting for long distance visual search and reduced power use
  • Folding seats in rear compartment of vehicle
  • Remote control winch – front and back

Enough to make me Change from HumveeDad to JeepDad! Diesel - Sounds like they are going after a military contract.... :laughing:

Ah, do not feel too bad. There is no provision for displaced US citizens anywhere outside, wherever they may be. :laughing:

Thank you for your service! Wonder if there is an APO loophole? Alternatively, I guess one could have a loved one order one from one's point of origin (other than AK or HI) and have them send it over. Jeeps & big sand boxes...I think they go together!

I wonder if it's the same manufacture?

Probably.

You could purchase the exact model white ones last year at Walmart. That's what I did when I wanted to keep the one I painted. I just stuck the tag on a brand new one I purchased. I placed it back out and into a cache.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Did you have to sign the waiver declaring you'd place it within 2 weeks of rcpt? :laughing: (for the Jeepbug anyway)

If not, I can suppose this ones going on a shelf?

Cool nametag & pin set !

AFAIK, it'll be bleak in my area for Jeeps, so seeing this one, and Walmart are my next best hopes.

Did you have to sign the waiver declaring you'd place it within 2 weeks of rcpt? :laughing: (for the Jeepbug anyway)

AFAIK, it'll be bleak in my area for Jeeps, so seeing this one, and Walmart are my next best hopes.

Yes, we all signed waivers declaring we'd place it within 2 weeks. I'm guessing that that doesn't take into account that they've not been activated yet. I will drop mine when it's activated.

Why will it be bleak in your area?

22a30985-cb9a-490b-8294-b3955d36ed08.jpg

Yes, we all signed waivers declaring we'd place it within 2 weeks. I'm guessing that that doesn't take into account that they've not been activated yet. I will drop mine when it's activated.

Why will it be bleak in your area?

Good to hear its going into the wild~!

Distribution has been pretty tricky around here the last 2 times around, with some anti-Jeep promo feelings along with other factors making it hard to find one. Many never made it far before dissappearing.......

Remove pic for space

Edited by Pto
Distribution has been pretty tricky around here the last 2 times around, with some anti-Jeep promo feelings along with other factors making it hard to find one. Many never made it far before dissappearing.......

I think that with many people being able to order 1, that should at least get most people 1 jeep to start with and help with the distribution.

I think that with many people being able to order 1, that should at least get most people 1 jeep to start with and help with the distribution.

I hope so too- Me and some others are all doing our part, so we'll see how it goes.

I thought it'd be fun to show our contiguously-dwelling cousins

how much countryside we have up here in Alaska to drive our Jeeps

(and hide our caches) across...

akoverus.jpg

Yup, this discontiguous state has more coastline than the rest of the country combined,

is one-fifth the size of the contiguous states, sprawls across an area as wide as... well...

the 'lower 48,' and is looking forward to the Signal Green Jeep TB with real anticipation

(see - we're even green on the map!)

:D

ANd let's not forget that if Texas or anyone from there does one more thing to piss us off, we're gonna cut Alaska in half and make Texas the THIRD largest state.

I might be wrong, but I'm guessing you're complaining to the wrong people. My guess would be your state laws pertaining to contests have more/different hoops to jump through then most, making it hard for Jeep to comply with the laws of all 50 states. I tried to google it to see if I was right, but instead i got about 1/2 million hits of OTHER contests/sweepstakes that were prohibited in Alaska as well.

Oh Mopar - not complaining - just envying the benefits of contiguous American citizenship... :D

Yup - the only thing we give away up here is the individual Alaskan resident's share of the Permanent Fund earning$.

Most Alaskans (correction - most noncontiguous northern-tier US citizens) just love that $70/barrel oil price! :D

That, and the opportunity to harvest a few dozen salmon per person for 'personal use' are about all you get the opportunity to receive here.

Oh - there's a few other giveaways too - but you've got to be a noncontiguous northern-tier US citizen to earn them!

It ain't the 'Big Easy' up here - but then, most of us like it that way! :D

that'd be so wrong!

:D

SO true about that swap Wes. Living here on the peninsula and working in Kenai, I wandered down to the bluff yesterday at noon to see what was going on there at the mouth. Not a whole lot of action yet. Ran into a couple of tourists that said, "I've never seen people fish like that before!!" I let him know how efficient it can be, at least when they're running good. I used to be a total pole fisherman, even to the point of making fun of the dipnetters who couldn't catch their fish with a pole. Then I tried dipnetting last year. Bought a net last weekend, and today it's strapped to the top of the mini-can (Not JEEP!!!) for my second run down to the Kasilof tonight right after work.

We will all get a letter saying " Since you were not at the Bash, NO JEEP FOR YOU" :(

I hope they where not the only ones to get them. That is what I liked about mailing them this year. They have always given them to groups for events in the past and mailing them was a fair way of getting them out. At the event the "CLICK" horded them . I know one person who every so often releases WJTB'S with zero miles on them.