Jeep 4x4 2006 Geocaching Challenge

Bryan

11. Winners List: For the names of the winners, mail a self-addressed first class stamped envelope to: Jeep 4X4 Geocaching 2006 Challenge-Winners, P.O. Box 6610-B, Saddle Brook, NJ 07663 for receipt by 2/28/06. For a Copy of the Official Rules mail a self-addressed first class stamped envelope to: Jeep 4x4 Geocaching 2006 Challenge-Rules, P.O. Box 6610-B, Saddle Brook, NJ 07663 for receipt by 12/31/06.

As worded, it is impossible to request a list of winners. It looks like the rules document wasn't fully updated from last year's contest. Also the rules document, in step 3 of the photo contest procedures, there is a reference to www.geocache.com that ought to be corrected.

Cool! Glad to see the contest is back, although I think it's safe to assume there will be lots of arguing again this year.

You're probably correct, but I'm curious what you think would be the source for arguments? It looks to me like the distribution method has been revamped from prior years. Any individual who wants a GJTB is asked to fill out a form and mail it in, then they receive one (though there's no guarantee). You have to promise to place your GJTB in a cache within two weeks of receiving it. It seems to me like this change goes a long way to address all the whinging about the distribution method, not being able to obtain a Jeep, and Jeeps never making it into circulation. If someone whinges about not being able to find a GJTB, they have no grounds for doing so because they had an equal opportunity to request one. A month's lead time is being provided for this prior to the August 1st start date.

Cool! Glad to see the contest is back, although I think it's safe to assume there will be lots of arguing again this year.

You're probably correct, but I'm curious what you think would be the source for arguments? It looks to me like the distribution method has been revamped from prior years. Any individual who wants a GJTB is asked to fill out a form and mail it in, then they receive one (though there's no guarantee). You have to promise to place your GJTB in a cache within two weeks of receiving it. It seems to me like this change goes a long way to address all the whinging about the distribution method, not being able to obtain a Jeep, and Jeeps never making it into circulation. If someone whinges about not being able to find a GJTB, they have no grounds for doing so because they had an equal opportunity to request one. A month's lead time is being provided for this prior to the August 1st start date.

Where do you find the form to fill out? I tried finding it, but it has eluded me...like so many caches out there! :mad:

Okay -- this is my bad -- I'm cross-posting.

Us Canadians cannot request a Jeep via the form (US only - and not even Alaska or Hawaii). So.....

I will be in Boston the week of the 9th-14th. If anyone has a Jeep they would allow/like to travel to Calgary, Alberta please let me know. Trust me -- it goes in a cache the day after I arrive home.

This is how our area was able to get a White Jeep last year (a very nice cacher in Minniapolis helped me out last year). Our community is pretty active (and a strangely large proportion have Jeeps -- the real ones, come to think of it)

Anyhow -- long shot, but let me know if you can help out us northern folks.

Once again, Jeep's contest is limited to residents of the 48 contiguous states. Those of us lucky enough to live in the parts of America which aren't contiguously connected to the rest of the country will bemusedly wait for the new jeep tbs to trickle their way west and north... to be shared in caches and at events... etc etc etc. Yes, I've got a yellow and a white jeep in a cache container right now that are shared at events for the benefit of new Alaskan cachers, as a consequential reaction to this very rule (regardless of what folks think about it in the 'contiguous' Americas). The rules, as we see, are applied differently here. Right now those jeeps are in a care package headed to a caching contingent of the USA's military (they're stationed across ALL the fifty states - not just the contiguous ones) deployed 'somewhere in southwest Asia'...

Hilarious - a certain large West Coast dealer chain has a huge Jeep store here at one of the city's largest intersections, and I've been told it's one of the top sales points for Jeeps in all the fifty states (apparently they know how to ship jeep products up here...). As a non-contiguous geocaching resident of America and a former CJ-5 owner I'm mildly annoyed; as an Alaskan I once again feel like I'm being treated as a part of colony populated by folks whose citizenship doesn't confer full privileges. *sigh* Let's not even open THAT can of worms!

I do sincerely appreciate Jeep's support of geocaching.com in a big way - what other corporation steps up to the plate with such a big contribution? It adds a lot of fun to the game and financial support to the infrastructure that makes the fun possible - and it IS their contest! So, we'll enjoy the TBs we see, and watch the gallery fill up with those great contest photos... with a slight tinge of envy. Good luck, you contiguous Americans!

As worded, it is impossible to request a list of winners. It looks like the rules document wasn't fully updated from last year's contest. Also the rules document, in step 3 of the photo contest procedures, there is a reference to www.geocache.com that ought to be corrected.

Fixed. Thanks Lep.

This is a good way to distribute them. We've not seen a yellow or white Jeep in our county during the actual "game" times. Thank you, Groundspeak!

I thought it'd be fun to show our contiguously-dwelling cousins

how much countryside we have up here in Alaska to drive our Jeeps

(and hide our caches) across...

akoverus.jpg

Yup, this discontiguous state has more coastline than the rest of the country combined,

is one-fifth the size of the contiguous states, sprawls across an area as wide as... well...

the 'lower 48,' and is looking forward to the Signal Green Jeep TB with real anticipation

(see - we're even green on the map!)

:mad:

I don't recognize that style of Jeep. Kinda looks like a hybrid between a Wrangler and a Commander.

I do believe I've seen this model on various Jeep accessory sites in their toy sections - sure looks like the Jeep Rescue Concept model. (For those who feel a driving need to have one for a private collection, note that you can get them for $2.00.)

Features (per Daimler-Chrysler) - note they're talking about the real vehicle, not the TB :mad::

Modern interpretation of the timeless, classic Jeep
  • Hints at a future design direction for a large Jeep, building on the rugged Jeep heritage to forge an exciting new dimension for the Jeep brand
  • Can be configured to run almost totally “open” – with folding front windshield and a retractable backlite, a sliding glass sunroof in front, a fold-forward canvas roof in the rear
  • All four doors are removable

A Rugged Foundation

• All-new body-on-frame construction with hydroformed frame rails
  • 80-inch wide chassis with 123-inch wheelbase
  • Front hydropneumatic suspension combines with the heavy-duty link-coil rear suspension
  • Suspension with adjustable ride height and an additional 4-inch lift available for fording
  • 37-inch tires feature an MTR tread and run-flat capability
  • On-board tire pressure control can “tune” tire pressures for maximum traction on all surfaces

Unequalled Rescue Capability

• Cummins Diesel engine
  • Seating for five
  • AC electric power (10 kW) generation in the field
  • 3-D topographical mapping software and topographical navigation system
  • Under- chassis, point-of-view cameras for avoiding danger in its path
  • Passive, infrared (thermal) cameras for search and rescue
  • Satellite telephone; VHF radio, digital video recorder with satellite transmission capability
  • Retractable 4-point harnesses for vehicle occupants
  • Exterior perimeter lighting
  • White LEV lighting for long distance visual search and reduced power use
  • Folding seats in rear compartment of vehicle
  • Remote control winch – front and back

I haven't had a chance to go through the rules yet, but does anyone know if all the folks that receive and place a Jeep get to enter the contest immediately or are they excluded until they find another one (or the same one) as long as it was in a different cache?

I haven't had a chance to go through the rules yet, but does anyone know if all the folks that receive and place a Jeep get to enter the contest immediately or are they excluded until they find another one (or the same one) as long as it was in a different cache?

I didn't see it mentioned, but in the event I receive one I don't plan to enter that one in the contest, just to log it to get it started. I'll hunt for another one for the contest. Well, if they say that it's okay then maybe I would use it in the contest for the first month. I'm cool with whatever the rule is.

Edited by Bear Paughs

Once again, Jeep's contest is limited to residents of the 48 contiguous states. Those of us lucky enough to live in the parts of America which aren't contiguously connected to the rest of the country will bemusedly wait for the new jeep tbs to trickle their way west and north... to be shared in caches and at events... etc etc etc. Yes, I've got a yellow and a white jeep in a cache container right now that are shared at events for the benefit of new Alaskan cachers, as a consequential reaction to this very rule (regardless of what folks think about it in the 'contiguous' Americas). The rules, as we see, are applied differently here. Right now those jeeps are in a care package headed to a caching contingent of the USA's military (they're stationed across ALL the fifty states - not just the contiguous ones) deployed 'somewhere in southwest Asia'...

Hilarious - a certain large West Coast dealer chain has a huge Jeep store here at one of the city's largest intersections, and I've been told it's one of the top sales points for Jeeps in all the fifty states (apparently they know how to ship jeep products up here...). As a non-contiguous geocaching resident of America and a former CJ-5 owner I'm mildly annoyed; as an Alaskan I once again feel like I'm being treated as a part of colony populated by folks whose citizenship doesn't confer full privileges. *sigh* Let's not even open THAT can of worms!

I do sincerely appreciate Jeep's support of geocaching.com in a big way - what other corporation steps up to the plate with such a big contribution? It adds a lot of fun to the game and financial support to the infrastructure that makes the fun possible - and it IS their contest! So, we'll enjoy the TBs we see, and watch the gallery fill up with those great contest photos... with a slight tinge of envy. Good luck, you contiguous Americans!

I thought it'd be fun to show our contiguously-dwelling cousins

how much countryside we have up here in Alaska to drive our Jeeps

(and hide our caches) across...

akoverus.jpg

Yup, this discontiguous state has more coastline than the rest of the country combined,

is one-fifth the size of the contiguous states, sprawls across an area as wide as... well...

the 'lower 48,' and is looking forward to the Signal Green Jeep TB with real anticipation

(see - we're even green on the map!)

:unsure:

I might be wrong, but I'm guessing you're complaining to the wrong people. My guess would be your state laws pertaining to contests have more/different hoops to jump through then most, making it hard for Jeep to comply with the laws of all 50 states. I tried to google it to see if I was right, but instead i got about 1/2 million hits of OTHER contests/sweepstakes that were prohibited in Alaska as well.

I might be wrong, but I'm guessing you're complaining to the wrong people. My guess would be your state laws pertaining to contests have more/different hoops to jump through then most, making it hard for Jeep to comply with the laws of all 50 states. I tried to google it to see if I was right, but instead i got about 1/2 million hits of OTHER contests/sweepstakes that were prohibited in Alaska as well.

Oh Mopar - not complaining - just envying the benefits of contiguous American citizenship... :unsure:

Yup - the only thing we give away up here is the individual Alaskan resident's share of the Permanent Fund earning$.

Most Alaskans (correction - most noncontiguous northern-tier US citizens) just love that $70/barrel oil price! :blink:

That, and the opportunity to harvest a few dozen salmon per person for 'personal use' are about all you get the opportunity to receive here.

Oh - there's a few other giveaways too - but you've got to be a noncontiguous northern-tier US citizen to earn them!

It ain't the 'Big Easy' up here - but then, most of us like it that way! :blink:

Please don't ask me to trade a freshly-caught Kenai River Red Salmon for a Signal Green Jeep TB...

that'd be so wrong!

OK, I've gotta ask... Am I just reading the Jeep TB Request form wrong, or does it say that you need to be 18+ with a valid driver's license to receive a TB for distribution?? :unsure:

I don't need no stinkin' license to go find a cache to put a TB in! :unsure:

Happy Caching!

Jeff

edit: forgot a word (wrong)

Edited by uber_bike_geek

OK, I've gotta ask... Am I just reading the Jeep TB Request form, or does it say that you need to be 18+ with a valid driver's license to receive a TB for distribution?? :unsure:

I don't need no stinkin' license to go find a cache to put a TB in! :unsure:

Happy Caching!

Jeff

You didn't know? If you win you get to chauffeur the CEO for three months.

You thought you get to keep the jeep? :blink:

Please, residents of the contiguous mainland US, please do not get too overly excited about the upcoming release of the green Jeep Travel Bugs. Just to make sure that the angst does not go away, I am already building a Jeep Travel Bug prison in my dark, damp and dingy basement which will be able to house over 2,200 captive Jeep Travel Bugs, and where they will be forced to eat a diet of low-octane gasoline, cheap 30W nondetergent motor oil, listen to canned Muzak 24 hours pay day, and watch endless looped playbacks of old episodes of "Lost in Space" for the remainder of their years. I have already hired 400 unemployed college kids on summer break to go out and retrieve as many of the 2006 Jeep TBs as possible from geocaches across the contiguous mainland US, just to be sure we fill the prison quickly.

Sorry, but no one ever said life was fair!

:unsure::blink::sad::blink:

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Please don't ask me to trade a freshly-caught Kenai River Red Salmon for a Signal Green Jeep TB...

that'd be so wrong!

Ooooo...I didn't think about that...smoked or frozen sockeye for a GJTB...any takers? :unsure:

Ah Ladybug Kids! We can't be THAT nice to the contigous folks. Afterall, the lower quality Salmon sold in contiguous grocery stores should be good enough for their contiguous tastes! Alaska Salmon is for Alaskans. I say let them eat those green frogs and keep those stupid Jeeps.

Edited by scobey

Once again I ask

If no one from a state sends a request form in or people from a state send them in but for whatever reasons Groundspeak says no, then that state in theory is screwed over and wont get jeeps unless people bring them in from out of state??

In the past they have sent them to the charter groups in a bunch of 100 to go out at events. I don't remember the number but wasn't last years total number of jeeps 5000?

Once again I ask

If no one from a state sends a request form in or people from a state send them in but for whatever reasons Groundspeak says no, then that state in theory is screwed over and wont get jeeps unless people bring them in from out of state??

In the past they have sent them to the charter groups in a bunch of 100 to go out at events. I don't remember the number but wasn't last years total number of jeeps 5000? I don't recall cachers being able to request any to be sent to them?

Once again I ask

In the past they have sent them to the charter groups in a bunch of 100 to go out at events. I don't remember the number but wasn't last years total number of jeeps 5000? I don't recall cachers being able to request any to be sent to them?

You are right, that is how they have done it in the past, but this year you have to fill out a form and even if you send one in they can still reserve the right to not send you one. We all know the big names on the forums will be getting one at least...oh well....