Colorado 14ers - Caches?

Indy-Md

Greetings, all,

I'll be heading out to Colorado the last two weeks in August, and am hoping to tag a few more 14ers while I am there (right now looking at the Democrat/Lincoln/Bross ones in the Mosquito Range). Does anyone know of any geocaches on them, or nearby? Or perhaps on other 14ers? Closer to Denver the better (i.e., those down near Durango are going to probably not be options this trip), but not at all opposed to getting deeper into the mountains (that is why I'm coming out! :mad: ).

Thanks

Indy-MD

You might want to post over here also. Hope you enjoy your stay in Colo. Its a wonderful place!

Yes, it is. I've been to CO a half dozen times since my first trip in 1988, primarily climbing, mountaineering, and general exploring. If I could get a job in my field out there, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Alas, I must 'suffer' just taking vacation time to explore.

If I time things right, I hope against hope to do my 1000th cache while out there. So want to do one that has a stellar hike or adventure. :D

I'll be heading out to Colorado the last two weeks in August, and am hoping to tag a few more 14ers while I am there (right now looking at the Democrat/Lincoln/Bross ones in the Mosquito Range). Does anyone know of any geocaches on them, or nearby? Or perhaps on other 14ers? Closer to Denver the better (i.e., those down near Durango are going to probably not be options this trip), but not at all opposed to getting deeper into the mountains (that is why I'm coming out! :D ).

There's a cache on top of Sneffels. That's down near Ouray, though...

I'll be heading out to Colorado the last two weeks in August, and am hoping to tag a few more 14ers while I am there (right now looking at the Democrat/Lincoln/Bross ones in the Mosquito Range). Does anyone know of any geocaches on them, or nearby? Or perhaps on other 14ers? Closer to Denver the better (i.e., those down near Durango are going to probably not be options this trip), but not at all opposed to getting deeper into the mountains (that is why I'm coming out! <_< ).

There's a cache on top of Sneffels. That's down near Ouray, though...

Yeah, that's the only one I've done on a 14er (or any mountain in CO), about 2-3 years ago. It was a great cache. :unsure: It spoiled me for wanting more. :huh:

Well its not a 14er but I do have a cache on a 13er called Santa Fe Peak.

Hmmm. Has good potential, thanks! Is a 4x4 required to get to the 'faint of heart' parking spot? I'll likely we renting a standard-issue passenger car (granted, I've taken them on some...sporting terrain for passengar cars, but full-on 4x4 roads I've usually backed off from. If getting a passenger car to the 'faint of heart' parking area is feasible, then I might try to give this a go. How far a walk from there to the cache?

From the minimal research I have done, even Long's Peak has a virtual on top (it's in a National Park).

It's a Long way to go to get a cache... :)

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Seriously, though, it's a long hike (~8 miles one-way via the Keyhole route if I remember correctly) and you want to be off the summit before the afternoon thunderheads roll in. If you do attempt Longs, start very early (4 or 5 am) and carry plenty of food and water. (And check your acrophobia at the door... :D The bit called the Narrows is not technical but it is exciting... B) )

bf0e36fa-6c56-4605-b797-a7126a9f9605.jpg

Is it worth it! :) Absolutely! :D If the air is clear, you can see forever!

Well its not a 14er but I do have a cache on a 13er called Santa Fe Peak.

Hmmm. Has good potential, thanks! Is a 4x4 required to get to the 'faint of heart' parking spot? I'll likely we renting a standard-issue passenger car (granted, I've taken them on some...sporting terrain for passengar cars, but full-on 4x4 roads I've usually backed off from. If getting a passenger car to the 'faint of heart' parking area is feasible, then I might try to give this a go. How far a walk from there to the cache?

A 4WD is required. You could hike up from town but it would be a long hike.