Caches Along A Route

bikehikecache

First I have to say that I'll agree the new feature is amazing, I'm just wondering about a few things.

Has anyone figured out a way to insert extra waypoints (stops) in Google maps? I ask this because I live in Atlanta, and Google maps ALWAYS takes the interstates, even though in real life they are quite out of the way and occasionally go the exact opposite direction of the direction I want to go. There are normal state highways that I use instead. In Garmin mapsource I can tell specific points to be included on my route so that I can force the route computer to go the way I want. Has anyone figured out a way to do this with the google maps so I can upload that as my route?

(what’s the point of this if I’m not driving the route that google takes? :mad: )

I've been messing around with this program (website here .. translated from french) that seems to do what I want, just not a very good job of it. Has anyone else discovered anything that may be able to correctly convert *.gbd files to *.kml files?

and those are the ends of all my troubles, because this new feature is still amazing! :(

thanks!

-Bike Hike Cache

Google Maps is quite limited in functionality when it comes to choosing your own routes. You're better off doing as Miragee suggests, and using Mapsource or another mapping program to create your route file. So far, I believe folks have sucessfully used Microsoft Streets & Trips (along with a third party conversion utility) and I've sucessfully used Street Atlas USA and GPSBabel to make a gpx file compatible with the new feature.

Edited by DocDiTTo

You can do this in Google Earth, but it's a little complicated. You can add a placemark by clicking on the "placemark" icon and adding it to the map. Once all placemarks are added and named to your satisfaction, click on the create route from each placemark to the next placemark and repeat this process. Check mark each route and string them together. After your route shows up, you can then upload the entire kml file to Groundspeak.

Although there are more steps by using a 3rd party software (like S&T's) and converting that file, I think it's easier to create accurate routes this way.

I think what you are saying is to make several routes using the pushpins. I think what the OP wants, and myself as well, is a way to put in intemediate waypoints and wind up with one route that goes the way you want it to. As I understand the way GE works is you only get a starting point and an ending point without the intermediate points required to get it off the interstate.

I think what you are saying is to make several routes using the pushpins. I think what the OP wants, and myself as well, is a way to put in intemediate waypoints and wind up with one route that goes the way you want it to. As I understand the way GE works is you only get a starting point and an ending point without the intermediate points required to get it off the interstate.

Correct, you do make several "routes" using the pushpins, but then you checkmark these "sub-routes" and GE will string them together creating a single route. Here is an example. This route saves about 6 miles from the default GE route below.

This is the default GE route.

so people actually do respond to my posts! cool! :mad:

anyway... I do not have mapsource software that can save as gpx so I am downloading that right now and will try that out first as that seems like the easiest solution here, but i'll know where to look if I need another idea! Thanks.

-Bike Hike Cache

In Mapsource, you can designate if you want your route to follow Major Highways or the little roads.

On a recent road trip from San Diego County to Denver, I mostly traveled the "blue highways." I can't use Google Earth (old computer, slow Internet connection), so I was glad to know this feature could use .gpx files created by Mapsource.